Looking for suggestions Manzanillo, Acapulco, Zihuatanejo

1quilter1

In Ixtapa we enjoyed a day at the gatas beach and also drinks and lunch. The grandchildren had a good time on the banana boat ride they were very happy,which made us happy. In Manzanillo we enjoyed there main square with live music and drinks with some souvienir shopping.

In Acapulco a few years back I went to a very big fabric store and some place I do have the card. I always keep little bussiness cards just a bad habit I have that works for me when I need them. Iam going to give it a shot but Iam sure this is not the way you spell it just the way I remember it was pronounced. "perrysina" quite close to the pier about a ten minute drive. Wide selection with another big fabric store right next door lots to choose from for a very good price. I will look for that card in my collection. We also found some very good buys on silver in Acapulco not on our last trip but on the one before at a shop called Linda this one was also very close to the pier in walking distance.

Happy sailing wish I was going too:rolleyes:

Los Gatos Beach is in Zihua, not Ixtapa, and it is a must. One of the best beaches I've ever been to. Lots of fun, great food, calm water, great snorkling.

Acapulco depends upon how adventurous you are. We explored the fort, which is right across the street from the cruise terminal. This was well worth the time, a very interesting presentation on the history of the area. We then went exploring through downtown Acapulco and the Zocalo. Very interesting, but not for the weak of spine. Lots of beggars and people trying to sell you all sorts of stuff. We spent the afternoon at Playa Condesa in Acapulco bay. Beautiful setting, dirty beach, interesting people watching. At night, we made a reservation at the El Mirador Hotel for dinner and watched the cliff divers. That was a lot of fun. You can make reservations through the internet, and take a taxi from the cruise terminal to the hotel.

All in all, Zihua was our favorite port, the beach and great shopping. I was glad I went to Acapulco, but I'm not in a rush to go back.

Here is what I have planned for those ports, Z we are going to Las Gatas beach. Manzanillo I have a private tour with Paco from Chimal Tours email address is chimaltour@prodigy.net.mx, and in Acapulco we are doing another private tour with Rosie email address is dew_days@hotmail.com. I researched all this from these boards so I'm sure it will be good. This is a wonderful place for info like this. Hope it helps.

Hi!

My wife & I went on Carnival Spirit on Oct. 30 from San Diego. We are booked again for this Oct. 29. We enjoyed it very much. We are both fluent in Spanish (my wife is Colombian, I lived in Mexico for 81/2 years). We chose to do the tourist part only in Acapulco. We took the bus tour. I was not impressed with Acapulco, other than the cliff divers. I felt as though I was still in the States. It (Acapulco) has become overdeveloped and too expensive.

Zihautanejo: We did not see Ixtapa. We enjoyed Zihuatanejo. We purchased some gifts at the stores as you exit the ship. An example of prices between Acapulco & Zihuatanejo: In Acapulco I was impressed by a modern wooden cross with Jesus in silver. The store wanted $90 dollars. No Thanks! In Zihuatanejo, the SAME cross, after a little good-natured bargaining, was $12 dollars. Y'all be careful! We returned to the ship after the purchases because the weather was so hot and my wife had recently had surgery, so I cannot say anything else.

Manzanillo: We enjoyed it very much. We are interested in retiring here. We walked through the town after the bus left us off at the main square. After tiring of walking, we hailed a taxi. The driver spoke no English, but thankfully that was not a problem for us. He took us around Manzanillo and then to some places that tourists did not go. The time went by too quickly and we had to return to the ship. The taxi was not air conditioned and it was very hot, but this did not stop us. It felt so good to be back in Mexico and being with the local population, not tourists.

We will use Esteban again, as we have his phone number, and we will begin as soon as we are allowed to leave the ship! Do not be afraid of eating in the local restaurants! If you want water, make sure it is bottled. If you want a cold soft drink, ask for the refrigerated bottle. Don't use the ice, to be on the safe side.

If you are interested in Mexican colonial architecture, take the tour to Colima. You will be close to a very active volcano as well!

The real Mexico is a wonderful place, with wonderful people!:) :)

Vayan con Dios!

Hi again,

I "grew up" in Tampico, during the 1960's. It has such beautiful sandy beaches. At that time, (do not know about now), there were beach houses, (not many), a few restaurants along the beach. There were no high rise buildings built along the shoreline. Other than "semana santa," (Easter week), the beaches were uncrowded.

If you go to some beaches along the eastern seabord, you will see high rise buildings and bars lining the shore. This is what I saw in Acapulco. I remember the Mexico of my youth and it is probably unfair to compare it to 40+ years later. I just am not a fan of high rise buildings and bars lining the shore. We did not have McDonalds, Burger King, WalMart, Costco, KFC, etc. We shopped and ate at local establishments.

I personally love getting to know foreign languages, foods, customs, local architecture, etc. I can go to bars, WalMart, Costo, McDonalds, etc. back in the U.S. Part of the fun of travel outside my own country, is to see other cultures, customs, foods!

I did not mean to rant here, sorry! I am off my soapbox.

Vayan con Dios, y nos veremos en Mexico!

Lee

Does anyone know if there is any thing else to do in Manzanillo besides shopping and city tours! I've heard of La Audencia Beach. At there places to sit under the shade and eat there? Is the snorkling any good there?:D

There are many things to do in Acapulco, most of which are included in the major guidebooks. I find the Moon and Lonely Planet guides to the Pacific Coast of Mexico to be very good.

Regarding the comment referring to Playa Condesa as dirty - though I wasn't there when the person making the comment was in town, it should be said that that particular beach is one of the most popular in the city and considered one of the cleanest. Acapulco beaches, and the water quality in the bay, is very good and ranks higher than the principal beaches, for example, in Puerto Vallarta and Zihuatanejo. Playa Caleta, in the old "traditional" section of town is one where I wouldn't go into the water, though (often high levels of contamination - the only such beach out of about 30 in the area).

Here's a list of some of what you can see and do while in Acapulco, in no particular order of preference - it's my list that I frequently share with people asking these questions [Note: I tried to upload this information a couple of times and in the "preview" mode it didn't present very well. I'm going ahead and submitting the reply so forgive me (the appearance) if it doesn't turn-out as good as I hope]:

BUNGY ACAPULCO

Playa Condesa

482-0788

http://www.ajhackett.com.mx/

HORSEBACK RIDING

Playa Revolcadero

443-1906

MÁGICO MUNDO

This Acapulco’s “other” water park. It’s smaller and not in as good condition as CICI, but it remains popular with local school children and families visiting on vacation. There is an aquarium, small museum, restaurant, water slides, waterfalls, etc.

Address: Playa Caleta

Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily

Telephone: 744/483-1215

PALMA SOLA ARCHEOLOGICAL ZONE

Taking the name of the neighborhood closest to it, Palma Sola archaeological site juts up a mountainside northeast of the historic center of the city. The relatively new archeological zone features 2,000-year-old petroglyphs carved in stone by the Yopes, Acapulco's earliest known inhabitants. Stone steps with scattered plazas for viewing the art are set along a path through the national forest. A cave used as a ceremonial center is atop the mountain is more than 1,000 feet above sea level and is adorned with petroglyphs and is a highlight of any visit. A visitor center is on the grounds, and, on occasion, guides are available.

Address:

Hours: Daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Phone: 744/482-3828 for information

CASA DE LA CULTURA

Museum/Gallery,

Av. Costera Miguel Alemán

This cultural complex includes a small archaeological museum, first-class regional and Mexican handicrafts for sale, and the Ixcateopan art gallery.

Cost: Free.

Hours: Weekdays 9-2 and 5-8, Sat. 9-2.

Phone: 744/484-4004

CASA DE MASCARAS

Calle Hornitos y Morelos s/n., a half block from Fuerte de San Diego

A private home has been turned into a gallery for a stunning collection of 550 handmade ceremonial masks, most from the state of Guerrero. Some are representative of those still used in such traditional ritualistic dances as "Moors and Christians" and "Battle of the Tigers."

Cost: Free (donation suggested).

Hours: Mon.-Sat. 10-6.

Phone: 744/486-5577

El FUERTE DE SAN DIEGO

Acapulco's fort San Diego was built in 1616 to protect the city's lucrative harbor and wealthy citizens from pirate attacks. Although it was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1776, it was entirely restored by the end of that century. Today the fort houses the excellent Museo Historico de Acapulco (Acapulco History Museum). Bilingual videos and text explain exhibits tracing the city's history from the first pre-Hispanic settlements 3,000 years ago through the exploits of pirates like Sir Francis Drake, the era of the missionaries, and up to Mexico's independence from Spain in 1821. There are also displays of precious silks, Talavera tiles, hand-tooled wooden furniture, and delicate porcelain china. A good multimedia show in Spanish on the history of Acapulco is staged outside the museum grounds on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8 PM for $10 per person. The show will be present in bilingual form if 15 or more English-speakers are present and request it ahead of time. A visit to the fort is an excellent way to learn about the history of Acapulco.

Address: Calle Hornitos and Calle Morelos (along Costera Miguel Aleman across the street from the cruise ship terminal)

Hours: Tuesday through Fri. 10 a.m. to 5 pm.; Saturday. 10 a.m. to 5 pm. and 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (call to verify this); Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Monday.

Cost:MX$35 (approx.)

Telephone: 744/482-3828 and 482-1114

MALECÓN

Av. Costera Miguel Alemán, between Calle Escudero on the west and El Fuerte de San Diego on the east. A stroll by the docks will confirm that Acapulco remains a lively port. At night Mexicans bring their children to play on the tree-lined promenade. Farther west, by the zócalo, are docks for yachts and smaller fishing boats.

MERCADO MUNICIPAL

Address: Calle Diego Hurtado de Mendoza and Av. Constituyentes,

(a few blocks above Costera Miguel Aleman)

Acapulco, Guerrero

Mexico

- Locals come to this municipal market to buy everything from candles and fresh vegetables to plastic buckets and love potions. In addition, you can buy baskets, pottery, hammocks -- there's even a stand offering charms, amulets, and talismans. The stalls within the mercado are densely packed together and there's no air-conditioning, but things stay relatively cool. Come early to avoid the crowds.

Hours: Daily 5 AM-7 PM.

PARQUE PAPAGAYO

Named for the hotel that formerly occupied the grounds, this park is on 52 acres of prime Costera real estate, just after the underpass that begins at Playa Hornos. It has an aviary as well as a jogging path, exercise classes, a library, a roller-skating rink, a racetrack with mite-size race cars, a space-shuttle replica, bumper boats in a lagoon, and other rides for children. This is a good place to find some street food and a shady bench, and do some people-watching.

Address: Av. Costera Miguel Alemán

Cost:: No entrance fee; rides $1 each; $5 ride packages available.

Hours: Park: daily 5-8. Rides section: nightly 4-11.

Phone: 744/485-9623

PLAZA ALVAREZ (ZOCALO)

Bounded by Calle Felipe Valle on the north, Av. Costera Miguel Alemán on the south, Calle J. Azueta on the west, and Calle J. Carranza on the east.

Old Acapulco's hub is this shaded plaza overgrown with dense trees. All day it's filled with vendors, shoe-shine men, and tourists enjoying the culture. After siesta, the locals drift here to socialize. On Sunday evening there's often music in the bandstand. The zócalo fronts Nuestra Señora de la Soledad (Our Lady of Solitude), the town's modern but unusual church, with its stark-white exterior and bulb-shaped blue-and-yellow spires. The church hosts the festive Virgin of Guadalupe celebration on December 12.

SHOTOVER JET

Costera Miguel Aleman 121-30

Tel: 52-744 4841155

BRAVO TOWN (offered by Shotover Jet)

Website: http://www.shotoverjet-acapulco.com/bravotown/index.html

MERCADO DE ARTESANIAS PARAZAL

This is Acapulco’s principal, best know, market where you can buy handicrafts produced in the state of Guerrero, and from elsewhere in the country. Bargaining is a sport here!

Address: Calle Vasquez de Leon (up the road the left of Sanborn’s near the Zocalo, turn right on Calle Vasquez de Leon and you’ll see the market just ahead)

Hours: Daily, approx. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

CASTILLO DE REY LEON

Carretera Pie de la Cuesta, km. 10.5

Pie de la Cuesta, Acapulco 39460, Mexico

Beautiful beach club just a short shuttle bus ride away from downtown Acapulco, featuring a pool, water slides, volleyball courts and miles of sandy beach.

Tel: 52-74-69-35-40

PARQUE ACUATICO CICI

This is the largest of Acapulco’s water parks that is popular with children and families. In addition to the pools and water slides, there are shows with sea lions and dolphins. There’s a restaurant and beach club, also.

Address: Costera Miguel Alemán, s/n., Zona Dorada (between the Golf Course and Wal Mart).

Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily

Telephone: 744/484-8210

ISLA LA ROQUETA

Playa Caleta - Muelle, Caleta,

This is a small island located in front of Caleta and Caletilla beaches. To get there, visitors must take a boat that leaves from Caletilla beach. Take one with a glass bottom, so you can admire the underwater life. Visitors will also be able to see the boatmen diving in the water to feed the fish in order to coax them closer to the boats for a better look. The surf at La Roqueta is soft and peaceful, with fine sand. Once there, you will find three restaurants with bar service and an attractive zoo on top of the hill.

GOTCHA PAINTBALL

Tres Palos s/n

Telephone: (744) 4844667 Cel: 044 744 495257

Come and practice one of the most extreme and exciting sport in the world: Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 to 1:00PM and from 4:00 to 8:00PM. Hunt wolves and Total Elimination. Reservations at 484-4667 or 04474495257.

SKYDIVE ACAPULCO

Costera M. Alemán 130 local 4

The company says that with only 20 minutes of training, you can enjoy the thrill of skydiving attached to a certified Tandem instructor from an altitude of 10,000 feet and freefall for 45 seconds during which you will experience one of the most wonderful sensations followed by an incredible flight under a multicolored parachute specially designed for two to a soft on target landing right in front of your friends on one of the beautiful beaches that surround Acapulco.

Telephone: (744) 484-6672

CHAPEL OF PEACE

This chapel was constructed with the purpose of crowning the heights of Acapulco with a spiritual contrast to the view and in everybody's grasp. Built by the architect Gabriel Chavez de la Mora, it has become one of the symbols of modern Acapulco and characterized by an enormous cross that can be seen from all over Acapulco. This site is ecumenical so that everyone, of whatever religion, can celebrate their faith in God in this magnificent place.

Address: Calle de Vientos Cardinales s/n, Club Residencial Las Brisas Acapulco

Telephone: 744/446-54-58

Fax: 744/481-0429

Email: capillap@prodigy.com.mx

DOLORES OLMEDO HOUSE

This house belonged to Mrs. Dolores Olmedo, a great patron of the arts and culture in Mexico. During 1956-57 Diego Rivera lived in the house while recuperating from illness. On the outside of this house is a very nice 60-foot long mural by Rivera. The mural is covered in brightly colored mosaics, stones and seashells depicting Quetzalcóatl and Tláloc. It’s considered one of the most important cultural works in the city.

Address: Inalámbrica 6, Cerro de la Pinzona, Colonia Centro (Camino de la Pinzona turns into La Inalámbrica).

HISTORICAL NAVAL MUSEUM OF ACAPULCO

Av. Costera Miguel Alemán 125, inside Plaza Bahía Shopping mall

The museum exhibits naval models, plans of both ancient and modern ships, and ancient graphics of the port of Acapulco. The museum also carries out cultures events related with the maritime theme.

Telephone: (744) 4 63 29 84

Fax: (744) 485 86 12

ORQUESTA FILARMÓNICA DE ACAPULCO

Costera Miguel Alemán No. 4455, interior del Centro Internacional Acapulco

The Acapulco Philharmonic Orchestra has 65 professional musicians and annually perform 90 concerts, both in Guerrero and in the rest of the country. In 1998, they received the Civil Prize "Domingo Soler" and then the medal of Scenic Merit, the highest award offered by this state.

EL TERRENO BEACH CLUB

Pie de la Cuesta-Barra de Coyuca Highway, km. 10.5

The excursion to Coyuca Lagoon in the Beach Club is a new attraction that is being promoted in our port to offer a new alternative to visitors. Located in one of the most beautiful areas of Acapulco, you can enjoy a day full of new experiences, getting to know the Lagoon, besides enjoying a delicious buffet and an open bar.

Telephone: 744) 4846006 y (744) 4844875

Fax: (744) 4846065

Email: elterreno@hotmail.com

FIESTA & BONANZA YACHT

Av. Costera Miguel Alemán, Glorieta Tlacopanocha Locales 4 y 5, Centro

Enjoy a cruise on Bahia Santa Lucia aboard one of the famous Fiesta & Bonanza yachts. Enjoy an agreeable atmosphere with your family and friends. We offer the following cruises: Morning cruise (11:00 to 2:00PM), Sunset Cruise (4:30 to 7:00PM), Moonlight Cruise (10:30 to 1:00AM).

Telephone: (744) 482-2055 482-4947

Fax: (744) 483-2531

JAI ALAI ACAPULCO / RACE & SPORTS BOOK

Jai-alai is played at Acapulco’s frontón on the Costera Miguel Aleman where there is also a sports book and bingo.

Address: Av. Costera Miguel Alemán, besides Wal-Mart

Telephone: 744/ 484-3163 /95 and 78

CLIFF DIVERS AT LA QUEBRADA

Close the center of the city in a natural enclave enjoy the thrilling cliff divers show, that during more than 40 years has thrilled tourists.

Address: Av. López Mateos y Plazoleta La Quebrada S/N

Dive times: 1:00PM; 7:30PM, 8:30PM, 9:30PM and 10:30PM.

PALAO ISLAND CLUB

Traveling on a yacht with a glass bottom, you can admire the submerged virgin and view the cliffdivers among other things at sea. You can also enjoy a buffet and/or swim.

Address: Muelle Palao, Av. Costera Miguel Aleman, 100

Telephone: 744/482-4313

BOTANICAL GARDEN

Jardín Botanico de Acapulco Esther Pliego de Salinas is recently developed in Acapulco with the goal of preserving the equilibrium of the ecosystem. The majority of the native fauna is composed of different types of species such as birds among which we can find parrot, Pandion hatiaetus (Fisher Eagle), Penelope purpurascens (Cojolite, a species of pheasant), Penelopina nigra (Chachalaca negra o Pajuil). Reptiles such as iguanas, lizards and snakes: Ctenosaura pectinata (Tropical lizard), Iguana (Green Iguana); and a few mammals: Pseudocheirus peregrinnis (Ringtail Possum); and Procyon lotor (raccoon). Also present and preserved are native plants and a collection of palms and cycads, desert plants, hardwoods as well as flowering and fruit trees, shrubs, heliconias and gingers, bromeliads, aeroids, ferns and vines among others.

Address: Universidad Loyola, Av. Heroico Colegio Militar s/n Fracc. Cumbre de llano Largo

Telephone: 744/481-0565

BULLFIGHTS

Plaza de Toros

Av. Circunvalación

Fracc. Las Playas,

Playa Caleta, Acapulco, Guerrero

Mexico.

Telephone: (744) 482-1181

Office Hours: Monday-Saturday 10-2 and Sunday 10:30-5. Tickets in the shade (sombra) cost about $22. Preceding the fight are performances of Spanish dances and music by the Chili Frito band. Events are scheduled seasonally (typically January > March) for Sunday at approx. 5:30 p.m.

FISHING AND SCUBA DIVING:

FISH “R” US

Deep Sea Fishing - Scuba Diving - Private Charters

Address: Costera Miguel Alemán No. 100 (along Costera before you get to Playa Manzanillo)

Telephone: (744) 482-8282

Toll free from USA: 1-877 3-fish

Fax: (744) 487-8787

DIVERS DE MEXICO

Scuba diving

Address: Costera Miguel Alemán No. 100 (along Costera before you get to Playa Manzanillo)

Telephone: (744) 4821398/ 483-6020

ACAPULCO SCUBA CENTER

Scuba diving

Address: Paseo de Pescador 13 (along Costera before you get to Playa Manzanillo)

Hours: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

SWISS DIVERS ASSOCIATION

Address: Cerro San Martín No. 325

Fracc. Las Playas

C.P. 39390 Acapulco, Gro.

Telephone:

Office: (744)482 13 57

Fax: (744) 4482-1357

Cell. (744) 4469-7219

HERMANOS ARNOLD

Av. Costera Miguel Alemán 205 (near El Fuerte de San Diego)

Acapulco, Guerrero

Mexico.

Telephone: (744) 482-0788

- affiliated with the Asociación Mexican Subacuatico (Mexican Subaquatic Association) and has been running scuba-diving excursions and snorkeling trips for almost 50 years. Scuba trips cost $40, snorkeling costs $20. (2005 prices) Lessons are included.

BLUE WATER SPORT FISHING

Address: Pinzona #163

Centro

Acapulco, Gro.

Mexico

Telephone: (011) (52) (744) 4 84 35 86

Cellular on board:

International from the USA: (011) (52) (744) 428-2279

Email: acablue@prodigy.net.mx

CHARTERING FISHING BOATS

Sociedad Cooperativa Servicios Turístico represents 20+ boats available for charter (with Capitan) for fishing or sightseeing in the area and they can be found along the Malecón across from the Zocalo. Other individual owners have boats for rent, also. Prices vary by season, length of charter and size of the boat.

Address: Malecón

Hours: (for contact) 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Telephone: 744/483-4822

TENNIS:

ALFREDO’S TENNIS CLUB

This is a small tennis club at the home of former/late tennis champion Alfredo Millet. His family continues to operate the club utilizing two night courts. Use of the tennis courts includes access to the large swimming pool, refreshments, snacks, etc.

Address: Av. Prado 29 (up from the Costera at the Pizza Hut)

Telephone: 744/484-0004

VILLA VERA

This very nice resort overlooking Bahia Santa Lucia offers two clay tennis courts with night lighting. There are also two illuminated paddle courts.

Address: Lomas del Mar No. 35, Fracc. Club Deportivo (up from the Costera in front of Hotel El Presidente)

Telephone: (744) 484-0333, 484-0334

Fax: (744) 484-7479

THE FAIRMONT ACAPULCO PRINCESS

Playa Revolcadero s/n, Granjas del Marqués Acapulco

The tennis courts at the Hotel Fairmont Acapulco Princess, received in February, 2002, the prize "Excellence in Stallations", granted by the Association of Professional Tennis. The Mexican Open Tennis Championship was held here.

Telephone: (744) 469 1000

HYATT REGENCY ACAPULCO

Av. Costera Miguel Alemán No. 1, Fracc. Icacos

Guests enjoy the privilege of having access to the Hyatt Tennis Club, located in the Acapulco Golf Club. It has 3 illuminated tennis courts, dressing rooms, shop and snack bar.

Telephone: (744) 481-2744, 469-1234

GOLF:

CLUB DE GOLF ACAPULCO

Costera Miguel Alemán, Fracc. Club Deportivo

The Acapulco Golf Club has 9 holes, Pro Shop, golf classes and equipment rental. The Club House has a reception area, pool, lockers, sauna, relaxing massages, judo classes, karate and swimming.

Telephone: (744) 484-0781/82 y 484-6583

Fax: (744) 481-0461

MAYAN RESORTS GOLF ACAPULCO

Av. de las Palmas No.C1C, Fracc. Playa Diamante

Mayan Resorts Acapulco’s golf course is one of the most spectacular courses on the Mexican Pacific. Is located in the exclusive Punta Diamante tourist zone, just 10 minutes from the Airport. The golf course’s is surrounded by lush landscapes with exuberant palm tree and beautiful lakes. The 18-hole, par 72 course, has 6,156 yards surface covered with Bermuda type grass, featuring wonderful yet complicated greens and a great number of dunes, making it both attractive and challenging for golfers of all levels. Course Rating/Slope: Blue 69.5/123, White 68.2/118, Ladies: 70.7/121.

Telephone: (744) 469-6000 Ext. 6607/6617

Fax: (744) 466-2260

Email: golfacapulco@mayanresorts.com.mx

THE FAIRMONT ACAPULCO PRINCESS

Playa Revolcadero s/n, Fracc. Granjas del Marqués

Classified among the best 25 golf courses by Golf Digest. With narrow areas, palm trees and water obstacles in 12 of its 18 holes. Each course has a practice area and rental equipment, available for men and women, for left-handed and right-handed players. Hole 18 is distinctive, with a dog leg par 4 surrounded by a spectacular large lake, allowing a second show that appears suspended in the sky over the pyramid structure of the hotel. The course has been established since the Pro-Am Tournaments in 8 different sections of the P.G.A.

Fax: (744) 469 1015

THE FAIRMONT PIERRE MARQUES

378 Playa del Sol, Fracc. Granjas del Marqués

Originally designed by Percy Clifford and remodeled by Robert Trent Jones for the world championship in 1982. It has a design with 65 sand traps and an increase of 300 yards. During 2002, a complete and radical redesign of the course was carried out, and includes 2 holes next to the ocean and joins up to the golf course of the Hotel The Fairmont Acapulco Princess, forming the most spectacular 36-hold golf course, unique in Mexico. The distinctive hole is 17 which has only 142 yards from the championship tees, but the game is against the normal wind provoking a shot of 3 additional clubs.

Fax: (744) 466 1046

TRES VIDAS COUNTRY CLUB

Barra Vieja Highway

Located on the Pacific Coast, it has 18 holes with 9 lakes and sand tramps, and you can enjoy the beautiful Club House with restaurant, bar, dressing rooms, pools and beach.

Email: tresvidasacapulco@prodigy.net.mx

SPAS:

VILLA VERA & RACQUET CLUB

Lomas del Mar No. 35, Fracc. Club Deportivo

Villa Vera Spa offers sauna, steam, suisspressure shower, jacuzzi, Swedish massage and reflexology, shiatsu, exotic herbal wrap treatments, hidromassage baths, all with seaweed, facials, body and water aerobics.

Telephone: (744) 484-0333, 484-0334

SPA WILLOW STREAM

Inside The Fairmont Acapulco Princess Hotel, Revolcadero Beach s/n, Fracc. Granjas del Marqués

Relax in Willow Stream, our new spa that has 1,300 square meters dedicated to the care of the body and energy. A space focused on the strength of the curative powers generated by the energy of its environment. 17 treatment rooms with modern and specialized treatments and therapies. Treatments are offered for both men and women. Luxurious and exclusive facilities, beauty shop, fitness center, 6 massage rooms, 6 rooms for facials, steam rooms, jacuzzi and a Japanese hidromassage tub, along with wet rooms with hidrotherapy tub.

Telephone: (744) 469-1000

SPA MIGUETT

Camino Real Acapulco Diamante, Carretera Escénica km. 14, Baja Catita s/n, Fracc. Pichilingue

A part of the Charm of the Camino Real Acapulco is the opportunity to full enjoy Acapulco´s most complete Spa: Spa Miguett they offer special body treatments (masajes, exfoliations, body wraps), hidrotherapy, facial treatments and beauty parlor. are open from 8:00am until 8:00 p.m. They also offer a gym in same schedule. The team of romanian therapist with many years of Spa experience and Mexican therapist enabled an Instituto de Ciencias Esteticas y Cosmiatria Spa it is directed of physiotherapist Dumitru Raiescu and they work at a high professional level.

Telephone: 744) 4351039

Fax: (744) 4351020

DISEÑO FACIAL SPA

Inside Quinta Real Hotel, Paseo de la Quinta No. 6, Real Diamante

Within a space of rest and spiritual fulfillment, the Hotel Quinta Real offers a new concept where body treatments and facials comply with the purpose of revitalizing the human spirit. A magnificent Spa, with all the attention and innovative techniques that offer the most surprising secrets to obtain and remain in equilibrium with nature. Some of the services of the Spa are hidrating treatments, holistic massages, Shiat-Su massages, Reik massages, herbal wraps, anti-stress treatments, hidromassage tub with herbs, body analysis, salt glow Richy, reductive massages, hidration with MWS, facials, deep cleaning, eye and flash treatments.

Telephone: (744) 469-1500 y 469-1540

Fax: (744) 469-1516

ALORY SPA

Inside Hyatt Regency Acapulco Hotel, Av. Costera Miguel Alemán No. 1

In Alory Spa, professional personnel await you with relaxing treatments, disintoxicants, facials, which will transport you to a new world of energy and beauty. It offers modern facilities offering 6 massage rooms, facials, exfoliation treatments and wraps, sauna, steam, pressure shower and Jacuzzi. Among the services we offer you can find: treatments for sunbathing, mini facial, wraps.

Telephone: (744) 469-1234

Fax: (744) 484-3087

Looking for wonderful places to eat, silver, fabrics. What should we be sure to see.

Thanks in advance

Our favorite place in Zihua is "Coconuts"--Been there for lunch, dinner or just drinks over 20 times. It's one of the oldest buildings (if not the oldest) in Zihua, with a beautiful courtyard setting and great bar--classy but fun!!

Golferdog:

I read that Coconuts is a yummy place to dine in Zihua. Can you tell me how far it is from the cruise tender dock? What are your favorites dishes from this restaurant? We would like to go for lunch. Thanks for posting your experiences.

There are many things to do in Acapulco, most of which are included in the major guidebooks. I find the Moon and Lonely Planet guides to the Pacific Coast of Mexico to be very good.

Thank you so much for this wonderful post with the great detail and the link to your wonderful pictures. :) I'm enjoying the pictures very much and it's increasing the anticipation. You've answered many of my questions. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
Golferdog:

I read that Coconuts is a yummy place to dine in Zihua. Can you tell me how far it is from the cruise tender dock? What are your favorites dishes from this restaurant? We would like to go for lunch. Thanks for posting your experiences.

Good ??? Any info. How was the bar and drinks???

Hola!

Acapulco :).. We enjoyed a tour with Rosie "The Pink Lady". She is wonderful and loves her city. She goes out of her way to make sure you enjoy the sites and tastes of Acapulco. We toured with others in the van and made some new friends. We were all on the same ship together and enjoyed the rest of the cruise as shipmates! COOL. Highly recommend her.

Zihuatanejo:)...we took a water taxi to Las Gatas and had a great time.Got a marvelous full body one hour massage on the beach for $ 20.00! Can't get your hands massaged in the states for that! The food was great and cold cerveza. The ride over is short and nice.Try the grilled shrimp mmmm muy bueno! Like to go back and see more of the town.Very pretty place..nice bay

Puerta Vallarta:)... took the ship tour to Yelapa. What a great place. Very quiet fishing village and a great beach. We too the walk to the falls. Actually just a trickle ( not the rainy season yet) but the hike was well worth the beauty of this old Mexican town. Walked with the quide and an 80 year old resident lady that seemed to be everywhere. Some 20 years old could not keep up with her! Got a great photo with her, but can not remember her name. The beach part was wonderful. Very nice sand..bigger waves than Las Gatas. Only draw back is we were not there long enough.About an hour. Vallarta Adventures runs the tour and they do a great job entertaining you. Good food, plenty to drink and a fun time.

We did Las Caletas with them the last time we were in PV and loved that too. Very relaxing, lovely place. John Houston picked a great place to settle.

Cruisin we are doing Rosie and Las Gatas also. Looking forward to the grilled shrimp mmmmmmm. The DH will love the massage also, me too.

Lunch at Coconuts sounds good also.

Thats great!

Rosie really is wonderful. Try and sit near her tho as she is a bit hard to understand over the microphone in the back of the van.She will take you just about anywhere, but usually has some of the better known places she will want to take you too. You can go with her all day if you want to. We were back at the ship around 6. There is a big shopping area in Acapulco if you are into shopping don't miss it. We did not get to shop much unfortunetly for my wife!;) It does get hot in Acapulco ..tell Rosie to have the Van cool!

We are still e mailing each other..she is truly a wonderful lady and if we get back to Alcapulco I would not hesitate to hire her again.

In Las Gatas we walked about halfway down the beach. The farther you go the less crowed it is. They give you the chairs, umbrellas, and table. Just buy some drinks and food. Very friendly place.Some water sports there also. Water taxis run all the time.

Cruisin Thanks for the tips. I'm sure Rosie and I will get along fine since we both like pink. I'm looking forward to our day with her. I love the Mexican culture and food. A little cerveza will be good also.

I'm sure my kids will love Las Gatas beach. I plan on doing a little shopping there. I'm not much of a shopper so I don't need to shop in everyport. My house is small so dragging trinkets home with me is not something I want to do. Anyhow touristy things will end up in the trash in a year or so. I will buy local art and stuff like that though, just not t shirts and junk like that.

We'll stoll down the beach some, find chairs, food and all will be good.

Debbie,

You have the right attitude! Nothing is ever perfect. We enjoy the Mexican people..they are happy, friendly and great sales people! I love their food, cerveza and of course TEQUILA!

Some areas are not as presteen as you would like of course but it did not bother us. At Las Gatas there was locals selling some wares walking along the beach but not many. In town there is more shopping I would expect. We only went to Las Gatas. Was only in Port till 3 so we really did not have a lot of time. I have to go back and get some more grilled shrimp and a couple more massages!

Rosie really will try very hard to please you. All you have to do is ask. She will even take you to the night dives if you will be in port that long. My wife liked her in Pink also...being she is a Mary Kay director! LOL

There are so many more positive reviews about Rosie, Alturo and Carlos than negative thats for sure! That does not mean you will enjoy your day with Rosie, bit it diffinitely is in your favor that you will love her.:)

Does anyone know if there is any thing else to do in Manzanillo besides shopping and city tours! I've heard of La Audencia Beach. At there places to sit under the shade and eat there? Is the snorkling any good there?:D

We hired Paco from Chimal Tours for our day in Manzanillo...and it turned out to be our favourite port day of the entire trip !! He seems to have a knack for where to take you and makes everything fun....he is very knowledgeable ....we went shopping ( of course ), went to a fabulous local market ( not flea market, not touristy..this was a real market ), the turtle sanctuary, the salt mines were amazing....several beaches ....as the day goes on, and Paco gets an idea what you like to do, he just takes you there....air-conditioned Suburban, cooler full of ice-cold beer....it was perfect...can't wait to go back to Manzanillo !

Mim100

Glad to hear you were with Paco for a tour. I have booked him for Oct and have not heard alot of feedback. We are going to see the turtles, go to Colma and Colima and of course the town of Manzanillo. I'm not a shopper so I wasn't looking at doing the touristy shopping but the market sounds interesting. May have to do that. I hate the trinket junk most places sell. T shirts and stuff thats made in China is not my thing. Where was this market?

Hi Debbie...you'll have a great time with Paco....not only is he knowledgeable, he's professional...we covered a lot of territory, saw tons of stuff but never felt rushed...I can still hear him saying " vamenos! " ...we caught on pretty quickly that means " let's go!"...all done in a friendly, unassuming manner....

the market is in the heart of the town....since Paco was driving, we didn't really pay attention to how far away it was from the cruiseship dock...the market is open 7 days a week, it was extremely clean, I didn't see one insect !! definitely where the locals shop - vegetables, fruit, meat, fish - great atmosphere if you like markets, which I do :) don't know the name of it but I'm sure Paco will know which market I'm talking about...

when you see him, give him a hug from Cinderella !!

Cinderella did you loose your glass slipper.

Yes Vamanos does mean go. Living in San Diego we get let in on those little secrets. I am looking forward to seeing the market. Hopefully we will have enough time. We have alot of stuff planned. How much time did you spend at the Turtle Farm. Did you get to release babies into the ocean?

Archived