QE II Terminal Southampton, visitors

sfo-john

Some friends are planning to drive me to the terminal for the April QE2 crossing. They'd like to watch the sail away and if possible do it at the terminal/pier. Somehow I think that for security reasons that they can't do that, but hopefully I'm wrong about that. Does anyone know about this? Alternately, is there someplace where they can get a good view of the sailaway? Thanks so much for any advice!

Some friends are planning to drive me to the terminal for the April QE2 crossing. They'd like to watch the sail away and if possible do it at the terminal/pier. Somehow I think that for security reasons that they can't do that, but hopefully I'm wrong about that. Does anyone know about this? Alternately, is there someplace where they can get a good view of the sailaway? Thanks so much for any advice!

Hi

Yes they can stand on the very end of the quay (southern end) and wave you off, there is a small area behind a fence for the public to stand, no shelter however. They will not be allowed into the terminal itself. See

http://community.webshots.com/user/pepperrn

for pictures of the sort of view they will get (in this case QM2).

Another of my favorite places is the end of Hythe Pier (and they could get a nice boat trip and a close up view of QE2 from the water).

Hope this helps.

John:

Yes, as Pepper has said, there is a spot at the end of the quay where visitors stand and wave "goodbye" - usually the "bow end" of the quay, i.e. when QE2 is tied-up, as she usually is, pointing down Southampton Water toward the Isle of Wight.

For your friend's benefit, as well as ours, let's hope for good weather on April 21 !!

Archived