Getting Good Exchange Rates

I'm taking my honeymoon on the Voyager of the Seas this summer and I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to take money out of an ATM in Barcelona (where we leave from) as opposed to using ATMs on the ships or in the ports (Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples and Sicily). How bad are the exchange rates on the ship compared to on land? Thanks.

We got the day's best rate from the ATM's in port. The ship takes the exchange rate the first day in port. If the rates get better against the dollar (more euros to the buck), the don't change it! I gather if they buy their euros for a certain amount, that is what the rate will be. Go ashore and use the ATM's. There was never a lack of ATM's! Plus, we got way better exchange rates! By the way, the ship isn't horrible, but you'll do better in port. We took out $100 USD in euros in each port......exchange rate pretty much stayed the same for the week.............

Consider withdrawing as much as you think you might need at one time. Then you'll avoid multiple ATM fees if your bank charges them. It's surprising how quickly those can add up.

Also, don't forget to contact your bank and credit card companies to let them know you'll be out of the country so they don't put a stop on your account!

jettaleea

• 2 weeks later...

A word of caution to you. We flew to Italy in the Fall and traveled throughout for 10 days. We found that on Mondays the ATM machines had not yet been refilled and we had difficulty getting money. Prior to leaving home, we went to a currency exchange and exchanged about $200 in US dollars for Euro so that when we got to Italy we had money on hand for porters, taxis, etc. Also, be aware that the credit card companies charge you 3% of your purchases as an additional fee on your bill. I believe it is Chase (or Capital One), credit card, I can't remember which, does not charge that extra 3%. You will be charged the extra fees every time you use your ATM card, so make the best of it. I believe most of the banks allow you a particular limit to withdraw (about $200-

$300) every 24 hours. We found that the machines we used in most of the places you are going to did not have that amount of money in them to enable us to withdraw the maximum amount. Hence, we wound up using our credit card most of the time. Also, many of the smaller shops and restaurants are cash only -- no credit card. Hope this helps you out some. And yes, notify your credit card companies and your bank that you have the ATM with. BE SAFE with the pickpockets in Naples and Rome. Keep your $$ and credit card in a money belt out of sight. Also another tip, my hubby carried a backpack with camera, water, maps. We went into a sporting goods store at home and purchased caribeners (spelling??), to clasp the 2 zippers of our backpack closed (a baggy tie will do). If anybody is going to try to steal anything from your backpack, it is a deterrent and they literally have to stand there and untwirl the caribener - takes too much time and they will leave you alone. Sorry, not trying to put a damper on what will be a wonderful honeymoon. Just trying to pass on some tips we found helpful and enabled us to have a wonderful trip. Hope you find some the above helpful. Have a great one!!

Another thought -

I remember that many of the ATM's in Barcelona and Italy were on the sidewalk outside of banks or in a foyer inside the main doors, and some (but not all of them) had security guards on the sidewalks or in the foyers watching the ATMs.

You may feel more secure looking for those ATMs as opposed to a machine in a busy public place.

• 2 weeks later...

Check with your bank to determine the protections they have for ATM cards used against your account without your consent. Having returned from Italy I felt comforted that I was using a "refillable" travel money card that wasn't attached to my bank account. Though there was a fee to use the card it was minimal considering the added protections.

Archived