What is tendering????

C-foxatsea

As a new member of this message board ther is one thing I have yet to figure out--what the heck does tendering mean??? I am going on my first cruise in April, and I think it has to do with going into ports, but I can't quite figure it out. Please help a lost newbie figure this one out!!!:confused:

Thank-you for the response! Do you know if this is more common than just pulling into the ports?

T

i think we are both taking our first cruise on the same day. What ship will you be on?

anyway, whether a ship will dock or tender depends on the port of call, and how many ships are in port at a time for those who can facilitate docking. Sometimes certain cruiselines might have priority at certain piers. At Grand Cayman, all ships tender. Cozumel has had some piers damaged by a hurricane, so more ships have been tendering, but it is now able to dock i think 4 or 5 ships at a time as of the last couple of weeks.

docking is prefered to tendering because of tendering takes time as passengers are sent to shore boatload by boatload...And you have to return from port earlier in order to catch the last tender, which is usually about an hour or 45 minutes before the scheduled debarkation.

Also sometimes if there are rough seas, you might not be allowed to tender, and it could cause you to miss a port.

When docked you can come and go from the ship at your convenience.

lol i sound like a cruise veteran and i havent even set foot on a ship yet.

I would never know you haven't been on a ship yet, with all that helpful information!!! thanks so much(:

We are going to be on the Fascination on April 23. I can hardly wait, I have expained to my friends that this cruise has totally taken over my brain, there may be 1% left for children, work survival (LOL) but the rest is taken up by the cruise:D

Hello,

Some comments about tendering...be patient in all aspects of tendering operations. This means that if you have to wait in line, do so quietly. Wear appropriate shoes so you do not slip and slide when transferring from the ship to the tender and vice versa. And some tenders have seats that are outside and this is one of the joys of cruising - seeing your ship from sea level. Watch your step and let the crew help you. Take your ship identification with you and a picture ID (your driver's license will be good for this purpose). Tendering is one of the fun things about a cruise so keep a positive attitude about it.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Fred

Thanks AutieStorm....it's due to my enthusiasm about finally being able to cruise, and these great forums, which ive been hooked on every day since i booked! I've gotten so much help and made friends with forum members who have been helping me with my questions in email as well.

C-foxatsea, i am on the inspiration, and i am equally excited. I cant remember being this excited since i got a nintendo for christmas. lol.

I'm sure that with the helpfull information on these forums, we are both going to have an excellent cruise

fred...im looking at tendering as a mini-cruise within a cruise. LOL

Hello,

No, a tender is not a mini cruise ship, but a utilitarian "boat" used to get passengers from the big ship onto the dock when there is no place for the ship to dock, or the harbor is not deep enough for cruise ships to dock.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

The worst part about tendering is that they don't issue gloves and you can easily develop blisters from the oars!:D

So true! Although by my third cruise, my rowing technique was good enough that I no longer get blisters. But -alas- I'm not a strong enough swimmer to join the swimmers who help tow the tender when there is a strong current....

:cool:

The worst part about tendering is that they don't issue gloves and you can easily develop blisters from the oars!:D

C-foxatsea,

I'm sure you've figured it out that Seabee's smilie didn't clearly indicate his tongue lodged deeply in his cheek. :p

Usually, the more comfortable of the ship's lifeboats are used to ferry passengers from a ship anchored offshore to a pier or landing onshore. Seabee and I would call them liberty launches or P-boats (hail, fellow squid! -- for the rest of you, that means we both have a US Navy background).

For the first wave(s) of boats heading ashore, the ships usually ask you to gather in a central area like the show lounge to wait until the tenders are ready, so everybody doesn't crowd the way to the debarkation platform. Indeed, wear closed-toed, sensible shoes, as the tender may be bobbing quite a bit in waves relative to the much larger ship, and if you are not used to it, it can be an exciting experience stepping from an accomodation platform into a bobbing boat. The ship's boatswains (guys who are used to operating boats) will help you. If the seas are little choppy, I would not use the exposed seats, or at least not the ones nearest the side -- that's the splash zone!

Can anyone give me information on cruising with a person who has a mobilitly disability? This is our first cruise and we do not know what to expect. We are planning on taking our scooter. It is a small compact scooter and will fit in most rooms. Our room is an interior room without handicap accessibility. We were told we can get a shower seat. He needs help with bathing. Are the bathrooms large enough for someone to help out? We can manage in a normal room with little problems.

We wil be on the Ship Victory going to the Eastern Carribean. Any information on that area would be helpful as well.

I would like to thank you in advance for any information that you may give.

Archived