Car seats and taxis?

BethCarp

We'll be cruising with our almost 4yo in November. He might need a booster (the small backless kind) at least while we are in FL, pre-cruise. So we'll have one unless we end up taking shuttles to/from the hotel and pier. Has anyone used car seats in taxis in Cozumel before? Has anyone had children 4 years or younger and not used a car seat in the taxi? Is that even legal? From preliminary planning, we will probably take a cab from the pier to Paradise Beach or somewhere near, and then back to the pier. We won't need carseats for any other part of our cruise.

Be aware that the cabs may not even have working selt belts, but besides that, here's my tip of the day... if you plan on putting in a car seat or booster, tell the cab driver to start the meter and then have someone from your party stand in front of the cab and take in the sights. That way the driver has to wait for you to finish putting in the carseat and the child before he takes off.

OH MY!!! You will be So surprised.....

You will see people (parents?) on motorscooters with lil children... babies sitting on the seat with them. You will see daddy's driving, momma's behind him and babies on her hips riding around on mopeds....motorscooters... Everywhere!!!!

I know this does not answer your question about baby seats but I do think it gives you an idea of how primitive Cozumel is in Child Safety.:eek:

You will see people (parents?) on motorscooters with lil children... babies sitting on the seat with them. You will see daddy's driving, momma's behind him and babies on her hips riding around on mopeds....motorscooters... Everywhere!!!!

I know this does not answer your question about baby seats but I do think it gives you an idea of how primitive Cozumel is in Child Safety.:eek:

You are so right - they just passed a law here -well it was passed long ago but was never enforced - but now they are ENFORCING the motorcycle helmet law. Even the little ones are required to have helmets now. I heard that next they will be Enforcing the 2 person limit on the mopeds/motorcycles.

Then I heard that next they were going to start enforcing the seat belt law - I'm sure the baby safety and car seats will come eventually but people aren't big on change here so the progress in that area is very slow.

This reminded me of the last time I was in Cozumel (nov 06). We passed a moped that had (I'm assuming) a dad with his toddler in front of him, his wife behind him and she was breastfeeding a baby riding down the road. It was the craziest thing!

Thanks everyone. I think I'm comfortable with not using carseats then in Coz. We won't need them in Key West or Coco Cay, so that just leaves travel to/from the port/airport. Hopefully I can arrange a shuttle for that so then I won't have to bring one at all.

Archived