Float Plane. J or K

cinnamon

We are sailing on Infinity on 17th June and would like to take a Float Plane trip, either independantly or with Celebrity if the price is reasonably competitive.

The question is, which is the better port for this, Juneau or Ketchikan?

Trips are offered from both ports but obviously you view different things. We are especially interested in the posssibility of seeing bears. We are not so fussed about walking on Glaciers as we will be spending time in the Canadian Roskies post-cruise and visiting the icefields then.

Thanks for any help or reports of personal experiences.

Cinnamon

Hi Cinnamon

We were on the Zenith with you last November. See you are crossing the big pond again.

We were in AK in June 04, and now going back this June on HAL. Have heard great things about the float plane in Ketchikan...Misty Fjords, that is one I would like to do. Last time in Juneau we did the heli ride to the glacier, and road the dog sleds. Wonderful trip. This time we are going out whale watching.

My flyboy husband, says float plane, no big deal, (well I disagree with him, but I am not a pilot) think we will be doing the one of the boats to the Fjords...

Maybe you will get more opinions soon.

We sure all had a great time on the Z didn't we. Sure wish she was still going to be in service. We thought she was great!

Thanks Budget Queen but having looked at their website, I'm afraid that Fly N Fish are out of our league on cost. They quote for whole planeloads. We will need just 2 seats. I realise that viewing bears may be not possible. Now I just need to know which port has the better views.

Hi Phyljim, yes we did have a good time on Zenith. Perhaps Misty fjords in Ketchikan is the answer. Ship's tour or independant though?

We took a dog sled ride this last December 26th in Canada when we were visiting our son who lives in Calgary now and all had a wonderful White Christmas in the Rockies.

Cinnamon

Hi Cinnamon

We booked with Michelle at Island Wings. I have read so many great things about her tour that we cancelled our ship tour and booked with her in Ketchikan. I've spoken with here several time and she is very nice.

We are REALLY looking forward to it. It's so far out of my "comfort zone" that my husband was surprised when I suggested it - but I've read so many great things that I wanted to try it.

Good luck and I hope you find the perfect tour for you!

Archived