Renting a car in Ketchican & driving Tips

wolfepackin

Hello, Hey looking at renting a Mini-van in Ketchican.. To drive Bride, 2 kids and INlaws around..

Now if I was just there myself.. No Problem I would just toss my self out there and do it, But with father in law, I need to be careful, make sure I do a good job, or who knows he may take back my lovely bride.. :eek:

SO any tips or dos and don'ts on driving around Ketchican ..

Thanks all I have a lot riding on this...

Mike

it's a very small town, doubt you can get into too much trouble!

have you been to the website to lay out your plans. i can't help much, it was raining too hard and my FIL was on the ship. (health issues) we just shopped and went back to be with him

the lumberjack show is easier to walk to,

road seems narrow, lot's of local truck/cars when the ships are in.

it rains

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

watch out for the DUCKS!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2863857170096824660IKljFO

have fun!:)

We rented a car in 2005 in Ketchikan which worked out really well. We rented through Alaska Car Rental (akcarrental.com). They picked us up at the cruise terminal and took us to thier office. We were able to leave the car about a block from the ship at no extra charge. We drove north to Ward Lake and Totem Bight and then south to Herring Bay (what a beautiful drive!) and went Saxmon on the way back. We also drove to Cape Fox Lodge which has a wonderful view of Ketchikan. Since we had been in Ketchikan twice before it was pretty easy for us to find our way, but I still used Yahoo maps before the cruise so I would know exactly where I was going.

Jerry

Tips for driving in Ketchikan. Use the 3rd Ave bypass to avoid the madness downtown by the cruise ship docks. Watch out for jaywalkers. Even though we have crossing guards, marked crosswalks, rope barriers, etc. some cruisers are so lazy they insist on having to jaywalk. I don't think anyone one got killed last summer but I saw 4 cruisers/jaywalkers hit by cars and trucks because they couldn't walk a few extra steps to the crosswalk.

Tip #2. Stop for people in crosswalks. It's a courtesy thing. If they use'm we stop for'm.

Alaska Car Rental is probably the easiest to rent from. There are some car rental agencies over at the airport but that's on a different island.

Archived