Mediterranean Excursions: morning vs afternoon

vicgiz

Hi! My husband and I will be on the Millennium next August. It is a very port-intensive cruise, and it would be easy to overbook ourselves and end up exhausted. We will be doing full-day tours in Athens, Florence/Pisa, and Rome, but are thinking of half-day excursions in Naples and Santorini. We are looking for advice about the Pompeii tour. We can go on the 8:15 am tour, or the 1:30 tour. It is tempting to sleep in and enjoy a leisurely morning, but I'm wondering if there are reasons (hot weather, etc.) that the morning tour might be a better choice. We'd appreciate knowing what others have experienced. Thanks so much!

in our experience in the mediterranean at that time of the year morning is by far the best choice the afternoons can be very very hot. particularly on santorini because all of the tourist attractions are on the rim of the volcano - millie will be anchored in the crater - and there is just no place to get out of the sun if it is that kind of day one disadvantage may be that if you are shopping, the stores may close for an extended lunch period. same thing applies at kusadasi (ephesus) if you are going there. :)

It could be very hot in the Med in August, especially in the afternoon.

I haven't been to Pompeii but I have been to Santorini, on Galaxy in June 2006. We did a morning excursion to Oia & a winery. I felt that the morning excusion was good for two reasons:-

a) Oia was extraordinarily beautiful early in the morning: very quiet, just waking up. We had coffee in a cafe and we were the first customers of the day. It was very peaceful. I gather this is not the case later in the day!

b) the excursion finished at Fira town at mid-lunchtime, so we were able to have a good lunch in one of the caldera-edge restaurants. Then we did some strolling around, and finally, in the heat of the afternoon, found some shade in a bar and had a couple of cool beers. Then back to the ship in the late afternoon, early enough to relax before we had to get ready for dinner. All in all, one of the best days ever.

Here's a link to the pictures I took that day:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2515

We took the Millenium last October and we opted for the morning half day tours of Pompeii and Santorini. They were both really nice as the sites are less crowded in the morning and then when you get back to the ship you have time to relax before dinner. At some of the ports you will do an all day tour, for example, Rome, as it isn't feasible to do it in less time. We therefore enjoyed the half day tours so we didn't get completely worn out.

we took Millie in 2005 - Sept. to Santorini and Pompeii. We didn't book an excursion in Santorini. We took the cable car up after a leisurely breakfast, walked around town, ate a nice Greek salad for lunch overlooking the ship, then shared a taxi to Oai for the sunset - supposedly the most beautiful sunset in the WORLD (I haven't seen the world yet so I can't tell). There were crowds in Fira at lunchtime (1/2 day excursions returning). Crowds were starting to gather in Oai at dinner for the sunset spectacular. We had the taxi wait for us and they brought us back to the cable car for our trip back to the ship. If I only had 1/2 day, I'd opt for Oia in the afternoon PROVIDED that it was a very late sailing and I could stay in Oia for the sunset. Otherwise, take the morning.

For Pompeii, we hired a private driver with 3 other couples and planned a trip to Pompeii then down the Amalfi coast. Traffic was very bad in Naples that day so they reversed the route and did the coast first then Pompeii in the afternoon. It was hot even in September but not unbearable. Because of traffic concerns, I think you're better off going in the morning.

Glad to read in earlier post that you have booked the morning trips. Very wise. I did this tour last year, and Pompeii is amazing, but I will pass on one very , very good idea someone on our tour did that I wished I done all day long.!!

She took her UMBRELLA !! from the ship, and boy do you need it, and my trip was in late Sept. August in Italy is very hot, and Pompeii has very few places to get out of the sun, no roofs left on anything !! :D

An umbrella! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!:)

Glad to read in earlier post that you have booked the morning trips. Very wise. I did this tour last year, and Pompeii is amazing, but I will pass on one very , very good idea someone on our tour did that I wished I done all day long.!!

She took her UMBRELLA !! from the ship, and boy do you need it, and my trip was in late Sept. August in Italy is very hot, and Pompeii has very few places to get out of the sun, no roofs left on anything !! :D

We were on this itinerary in August 2003 during that infamous heat wave that hit Europe that summer. It was 95+ in Rome, Naples and Athens. A little better in the other ports, but still hot by any standard. On top of that, both of us caught colds(!) at different points on the itinerary.

Santorini is spectacular. The Pompeii tour is a must and there is little shade. Do as much in the morning as you can. There is SO MUCH to see in all the places you will visit. You will be exhausted after every day, but will enjoy the meals and relaxation back on the ship that much more.

I would definitely repeat this cruise someday, but when I do, it will be for Spring or Autumn.

Have a great time. You will love this cruise.

Archived