Sites near Vienna port

Bob W.

We'll be flying into Vienna and connecting to a river cruise with perhaps a half day to visit sites of interest. What sites would you suggest that are fairly near the port? We love art museums but also would like to get a look at some representative area of the city. Wish we had a day or two to wander!

If your time is so limited:

1. take the subway (subway line U1 = red line) from VORGARTENSTRASSE to STEPHANSPLATZ/CITY.

That's the location of the St. Steven Cathedrale.

If you are hungry: go to FIGLMÜLLER in Wollzeile/Bäckerstraße - the largest WIENER SCHNITZEL!!! A must.

2. walk to the ring. Take any tram of line 1 or 2 (clockwise and anti-clockwise) - you will see most of the sights of Vienna.

Personal remark: alongside of the Ring you will find the OPERA. There is also the famous HOTEL SACHER. Test the famous SACHER CAKE... (eat and die!!! - It's like going to heaven!)

3. the Museumsdistrict (in German MUSEUMSQUARTIER) is alongside of subway line U2 (green line) or tram 1/2.

That's what I would do if I have some hours only for Vienna.

Viel Spaß / Have fun!!!

Servus (Viennese Greeting)

HeinBloed

There a various places in Vienna where cruise ships dock. Thus for best preparation you should find out the exact place. Some are close to the city centre others far away in a suburb and travelling from there is more complicated.

For you as art lover the number one choice is the "Kunsthistorisches Museum", http://www.khm.at/homeE/homeE.html . Among the collections is the picture gallery which is based on the collections of the Royal and Imperial family and includes for example masterpieces by Titian, Veronese, Tintoretto, van Eyck, Rubens and van Dyck.

Close by is the "Hofburg", the huge palace where one can visit the Imperial Apartments, the treasury, museums and more. Even if you do not have time for the interior, the exterior is worth to see.

From here it is a short walk to the Stephansdom, the cathedrale right in the middle of the town.

Thank you Heen Bloed and Carl MM for your suggestions and information! I'll check to see which port area we will be using. Since our river boat will be a 140 passenger vessel, it could dock at a secondary port area. I never thought of that!

Bob W.

Archived