Freedom Sea Days?

Ok, not to thrilled with my dad. We booked Jewel of the Seas for Feb 2008. He is whining like a little girl that he doesn't want to do a smaller ship than the Voyager class. Now mind you, he does not rock climb, does not ice skate, and to him, the promenade is just a hole in the middle of the ship to make the ship bigger. I saw pics of the Radiance class and I want to do that. The Jewel has an 8 day with 5 ports, and the Freedom is 7 days with 3 ports. Now I'm not so worried about the islands, I go more for the ship, but it seems to me that a much bigger ship with many more people would be very crowded on sea days. Is it hard to get a chair out by the pool? Is the H2O zone really crowded? My son will be 3 and a half and the Jewel has Adventure beach which he would love, but I know he would still like the H2O zone but there will probrably be alot of kids. Out of the 14 people going, my dad is the only one complaining. I don't care about size of the ship but from what I have read, and pics that I have seen I like the Jewel. Is the Freedom sooo much better? Somebody help me??

We have been on the Jewel and so far it has been my favorite ship and I think the most beautify. We did the Eastern 8 day venture and it was awesome. My 2 teenage boys also thought it was the best. I think your Dad will be impressed by this ship.

:) I think I understand your father's concern. After sailing on the Adventure, we were disappointed and a little bored on the Vision. We don't rock climb, ice skate or drink in the lounges either, but there is something about the Voyager ( or Freedom ) class that sets you up to expect those amazing options. We just like to walk around and watch everything going on, they are such beautiful ships. After being on the Freedom last month, I think we will be just as happy on one of the smaller ships for just my DH and me. BUT if we take our college age sons the next time, I would likely book the Liberty so they can take advantage of the activities. The bigger ships are sometimes crowded, but so are the smaller ones... it's proportionate to the size of the ship if it's full. I would advise your Dad to just try this smaller ship to see if it really makes a difference to him. And yes it was near impossible to get a deck chair by the pool or facing the ocean. Thats why we book a balcony room. Have a great time, I think it would be great to travel with so many family members.

We too booked a balcony, but I don't want to spend all that money for me and my son to go just so we can sit in our room. My dad is sooo stubborn, but i really think he would like it once he is on there. Unless you are docked next to a Voyager or Freedom class, I really don't think you'd notice the size difference as much. He is so stubborn that even if he did like it, I don't think he would ever admit to it.

IME, Radiance class ships feel the most crowded around the pool area during sea days. Voyager and Freedom class seem to have more deck space.

That said, there is no reason to complain about Jewel...

I have been on Vision Class, Voyager Class and Radiance class. For the ship overall, I vote Radiance class as the most beautiful, the most comfortable, best size. Vision class, of course are older and do not have the choices of a Voyager class. Voyager class perspective is that it was really crowded in the WJ, too many people overall. My kids of course, loved the Voyager class the most, as there is more to do. To each his own. The ships we have sailed are, Rhapsody. Vision, Jewel and Navigator. We are sailing the Serenade in a few weeks. My kids have made me promise we will sail the Freedom or Liberty in Summer 2008. I really think the Freedom will be too many people, but of course we will at least try her. Hearing about the Genesis class almost scares me, but of course....we will most likely sail that class too.

We have done 5 Voyager class cruises and 1 Brilliance cruise. We actually found the deck space much more crowded on Brilliance than we ever found on 1 of the Voyager class ships. We get up pretty early but we had a tough time finding chairs a lot of the time. Plus, for us, the Solarium was virtually unusable since they don't open the roof and it got really hot in there after awhile. We are doing the Liberty in April and can't wait to try it. I will say the Brilliance is absolutely beautiful and I have heard the same about Jewel.

Archived