transfer Beijing to xingang port

mubble

Mumble,

A few words of advice: "take the ship's transfers to the port".

There were 5 buses on Princess pre-cruise tours prior to embarkation. Three of the buses got "lost" on their way to the ship. The roads are not clearly marked, the distance is very far, the roads are not necessarily paved. Even the "experienced" bus drivers were lost. The ship delayed leaving because it was Princess-sponsored tour buses which were late.

There are other places/ways to save money, transfers to the ship in Beijing are NOT one of them (in my opinion).

BTW, embarkation at the port was a nightmare. It was handled, not by Princess, but by Chinese immigration. It was a very slooooow and frustrating process. Even the Princess staff who were "assisting" were frustrated. Even with cruise ship "status" it made no difference.

Mubble, please join the thread for our cruise. The address again is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427210. I think you'll find lots of info and maybe you'll want to join us on some of the tours we are going to arrange in the different ports.

About the check-in for the cruise. We were told that the check-in happens at a hotel and then Princess transfers you to the pier. Is that not correct??

Donyb,

That was not my experience. We were on the Princess 9 day pre-cruise tour. The day of embarkation we were told to pack all our belongings and put them "out" the night before. The luggage was loaded into busses. We were taken to the Forbidden Palace for more sightseeing. We went DIRECTLY to the pier from our sightseeing. It was about a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to the port.

There was no "check-in" at the hotel for the pre-cruise folks. We had to check in at the ship.

I don't know if you have pre-cruise tours or just the hotel overnight. I can only report on my experience in June 2006.

Buying the Cruise Line transfer from Beijing to Xinang is the equivalent of going into a bad neighbourhood with a mug me now sign strapped to your shirt - You get ripped off. Princess Cruises have made it an art form. Be it Beijing or the Shakedown of a Century Kansai Airport to Tenpozan Wharf Osaka.

This board and a general search in google will find any number of providers who can do the transfer normally with a tour thrown in for half or even less than half of what cruise lines charge ( They are partnered with CITIC who are about to add the Jolly Rodger to there logo ) If you doubt the quality of whats on offer feel free to ask here.

I booked a private transfer for 2 people from Xingang to Beijing prior to sailing in 2005 on Diamond Princess. Our tablemates, there freinds and few

others ended up joining us. The Guide meet us dockside holding up the most detailed sign ive ever seen ( even with my email address on it ) got us into our 3 Vans and away ahead of the coach convoy to Beijing. We stopped at the same placed and seemed to be 30mins ahead of the main convoy leaving as they arrived.

Everyone was dropped off at there respective hotels and collected again later on for the tour included in the price of the transfer. 14 of us payed about $35 Ahead for the transfer, plus we also got for that a tour in the afternoon to the Forbidden City, Tianamin Square and the Pearl and Silk Quilt factory.

My party and 2 others ended up spending and extra $50 to go to the Great Wall the next day which included the Ming Tombs, Jade Factory, China Factory, The Great Wall at a nice non crowded part. Plus the guide was happy to take us to a bunch of other places if we was interested including the Shooting Range and Aircraft Museum.

Go private anyday, save your $$$$ and get more of a travel experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we were on Oceania last year - Beijing to Hong Kong. We were at the Mandarin in Beijing, and we took Oceania's transfers to the ship. It went as smooth as glass. I can't imagine where the buses might have gotten lost. It is like a freeway to the port--about a 2 and a half hour comfortable ride. We got off the bus, checked in in no time, and went to our stateroom, where our luggage arrived within minutes.

In that part of the world--use the ship's transfers. You pay a great deal to go on the trip--the transfer cost is not that much more. Consider it part of the trip and enjoy yourself.

Anyway, what a fun trip. Hope you enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

NovemberBravo1974,

I am going to be doing beijing to Xingang transfer this fall. Can you recommend a supplier for this? I have seen great differences in prices and my experience with the Princess transfers is hurry up and wait and pay thru' the nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Captain H :)

I hope this answer is within protocol, If you need to know anything further about Beijing etc feel free to email me or get me on MSN Instant Messanger, more than happy to help you out with pointers so you can get the most out of your visit. ( novemberbravo1974@hotmail.com ) Im not Chinese but I love the place and the people.

Everytime I go to Beijing I use Heidi from Easternshine Tours, Best to send her an email at heidi_xie@hotmail.com her company's website is www.easternshine.com. She runs a good operation and Im sure she will look after you if you use her company, There are numerous other groups as well to be fair to everyone, Tour Beijing is also quite good from experience.

Best Regards

Novemberbravo1974 :)

Archived