Mexican cruise

curiser2

I didn't scroll through all of the responses to see if anyone mentioned this, but hurricane season is a serious concern in Mexico. I just got back from the Pride Mexican Cruise and our waiter told us that last summer the hurricanes were crazy. Additionally, I have a good friend who spent 4 days in a hurricane in Cabo and said it was one of the most miserable experiences of his life. Something about the sound of pounding rain against the roof....

Definitely get insurance....Check the hurricane season schedule.

Take it from someone who's been to the Mexican Riviera on July 24th, I will never, never, never do that again! We had no idea it would be that hot! It was over 100 degrees and the humidity 100%. I have never been that hot in my whole life and I used to camp on the Colorado River in the summer. We couldn't get into the water because it was loaded with jelly fish.:mad:

Take it from someone who's been to the Mexican Riviera on July 24th, I will never, never, never do that again! We had no idea it would be that hot! It was over 100 degrees and the humidity 100%. I have never been that hot in my whole life and I used to camp on the Colorado River in the summer. We couldn't get into the water because it was loaded with jelly fish.:mad:

It's the humidity that will get ya! We have cruised the Caribbean in the summer and you can get the same weather LOL!

We have a vacation home on the Colorado River and it can get 120...but that's dry heat. A whole different ball game LOL!

I was hoping that the Caribbean wouldn't be as bad as the Mexican Riviera because I have booked a cruise for July 15 of this year to the Caribbean but now I have everyone telling me it is just as bad! UH OH I'M IN BIG TROUBLE!!! Deep down I kinda knew about the weather there but the people I'm going with made it sound soooooo tempting so I booked! :eek:

Well guys sounds like to me if we want to to any cruising this summer it's going to be hot:( Which that does not brother me so much as not being able to swim because of jellyfish. That would make me mad!!

So I guess I will just have to take a chance, that is the only time my kids can go MY oldest will be going to the police academy and will probably be the last time we all get to do a family vacation together for a long time.

Hi All, I am new to carnival and was looking to sail on the Mexican Riviera cruise in Jan. 08. Does anyone know if there is an indoor pool? I looked at the deck plans and it says that there is a sliding roof. Do they actually ever close it like on rainy/windy days? Thanks for the info.

I've never been to the Caribbean.....I hear that the water is bluer than Mexico.....but Mexico is definitely better than let's say Pismo!!! That's the first thing I noticed when I got up on Monday morning and went to my balcony...how blue the water was! If you're going to be in the water most of the time in the ports then you'll probably be ok. And not having to fly would be a definite advantage also. How old are your kids? The pirate ship that I took in PV at night offers a "more family type" excursion during the day. It's a neat ship to be on......

Hey...I live in Pismo Beach!!!!!! don't be dissing!!! Nah, the water here is soooooo cold. But I dont think that mexico will be as hot in June as normal. California has been colder than normal this year. Our seasons are all off. We are booked for a Mexican Riviera cruise in June on the Pride. Cant wait!

We wanted to take the kids this summer the ages are 21, 17, 18, 5 yes and don't ask me what I was thinking on the last one. We already have a Cruise booked just my dh and I on the new EMERALD :D PRINCESS ON MARCH 5TH 2008 THE WATER IN THE CARIBBEAN IS UNBELIEVEABLE WHEN I WENT OUT ON THE BALCONY THE FIRST TIME I COULD NOT BELIVE MY EYES. PISMO BEACH WHERE I LIVE Is SO COLD AND UGLY:confused: :confused:

Me too!!!!!! I'm jumping up for joy!! What a small world!! Last week it was warm here tho. I took the kids down to the beach to play. didnt get in the water since it is like 50 degrees.

cruiser2

I just saw in you last post you mentioned Pismo. We lived in Santa Maria (Orcutt) for years before moving to San diego. We absolutly love it there! We are goin up this week for spring break to visit and go quad on the dunes. The water may not be as blue and pretty as the Carribean but it has it's own charm! :)

OMG...The central coast is taking over Cruise Critic!!! Way to go!!

Hey...I live in Pismo Beach!!!!!! don't be dissing!!! Nah, the water here is soooooo cold. But I dont think that mexico will be as hot in June as normal. California has been colder than normal this year. Our seasons are all off. We are booked for a Mexican Riviera cruise in June on the Pride. Cant wait!

I love Pismo! Go there several times a year. But it ain't Mexico! So cool...you live there...I won't have to book a motel next time! :p

Yea central coast. although now that I live in the San Diego area I don't miss the wind there! We had 1 warm day on our recent trip over sring break and the rest were a little bit cold.

I love the heat though! Can hardly wait for summer, especially July for the cruise!

Have a great day!

Marion:)

We have always cruised the last week of July . Last year we decided to cruise the Pride off the west coast because of the bad 2005 hurricane season. As luck would have it a hurricane detoured us to Canada. I had to buy a few sweatshirts because I had packed for the hot humid weather of Mexico but,still had a great cruise and now will always get Travel Insurance.

We wanted to take the kids this summer the ages are 21, 17, 18, 5 yes and don't ask me what I was thinking on the last one.

Now back to the OPs question...

So, take everything I'm about to say with this background information in mind...

I have been crusing since I was a baby, and been on too many to mention, West Coast, East Coast, European, etc.

I'm more about cruising for the "cruise experience" rather than any specific port at this point...

That being said...

You can't book any cruise (or at least shouldn't) based on what the weather "might" be at that point, because no one knows.

It's probably going to just as humid and possibly more likely for hurricanes in the Caribbean than the Mexican Riviera.

You should book based on what is good for your family.

Especially for a first cruise for the kids (and taking into account all of their ages - as I've cruised at all of their ages), it's great to just be able to drive to the port, and not have to fly and change time zones. (Also for kids, this can be even better and more important on debarkation on the last day and getting home)...

If you are looking into a 7 day, then I'd definitely recommend Carnival Pride for various reasons.

Check into the itinerary, see if it works, and if so, then I would absolutely recommend checking the "Ports of Call" Board here for the Mexican Rivera and booking the family for Randi's Happy Horses, one of the best all ages family excursions on the beautiful Stone Island beach that you can get...

Then the Pride is a good ship for all of your age groups.

I'd also check into the Puerto Vallarta Zip Line tours, as that's great for a lot of ages, and there is also restaurants and swimming there.

Also, I think hanging out at the Krystal Hotel Beach (pools, restaurants, beach, great spa appointments, etc.) could be another before or after option...

Cabo has lots to do ocean, swimming, and eating wise...

At any rate, I hope this helps in some way...

Also Carnival has the best photography options (in quality for the money), so you get two formal nights, and what a great chance to get some great pictures of the family!

Just my two cents...

CJW

PS If a 5 day is more in your thoughts, then I'd definitely check into Elation as it's one of my favorite ships and coming back to the West Coast, leaving from San Diego...

Archived