2 connecting Promenade vs Junior Suite

jelbnl

Hi -

We're going on the Nov 3rd sailing of Liberty of the Seas. We currently have connecting promenade rooms booked and there is a junior suite available for our cruise. We're two adults with two kids ages 9 and 6, what would you recommend.

I vote with the others here...take two promenade cabins. You will have 2 televisions, 2 bathrooms, four beds (instead of the kids sleeping on a pull out sofa), and a view of more than the ocean or a cement pier.

We'll be in a Balcony cabin with our kids directly across from us in a Promenade on our next cruise, but we have been in just about every catagory over the years. You will be very satisfied with your Connecting Promenade cabins.

So here is the next question. Would you do a GS with the kids or would you do 2 promenade rooms?

if you have young kids the GS is smart

if you have teens or older kids the two rooms are a must for privacy, bathrooms and space

dont you think so?

I agree with the others stick with the two rooms. I just sailed on the Enchantment in a JS with two kids. The thing that was the most difficult was just the one bathroom. We booked two rooms for our next cruise.

Today 01:13 PM MissChievous But don't you get 2 credits for a suite? That is something to consider too, right?

MissChievous,

2 PR rooms = 2 credits

Not much to consider there, except it is cheaper to cruise 4 in a GS and more money for the 2 PR rooms.

If you need to save money then it is understandable, but will be uncomfortable in some respect.

Additionally, like Sea-Cruise said, "instead of your kids sleeping on a pull out sofa",

I greatly agree. My kids dont sleep on a sofa at home I would hate for them to have to on vacation (unless they were little ones)

Be safe and stay with your PR rooms and dont go for the GS

well we did book a GS for our 12 night cruise and we will get 3 cruise credits 1 for the 12 night and 2 for the suite. If I booked 2 rooms who ever are in those rooms get the cruise credit. So my husband and I would get 1 and the kids would get 1. But they are older and last cruise we did a outside balcony and across the hall a promenade. 4 years ago when they were younger we were 4 in a family outside room. The boys went and showered in the gym. In the GS you have 2 sinks so that is less of a problem and the boys can shower in the gym if need be and you get so many more perks. Like I said last time we did 2 rooms this time we will try 1 bigger one, will let you know if this works or not.

well we did book a GS for our 12 night cruise and we will get 3 cruise credits 1 for the 12 night and 2 for the suite. If I booked 2 rooms who ever are in those rooms get the cruise credit. So my husband and I would get 1 and the kids would get 1. But they are older and last cruise we did a outside balcony and across the hall a promenade. 4 years ago when they were younger we were 4 in a family outside room. The boys went and showered in the gym. In the GS you have 2 sinks so that is less of a problem and the boys can shower in the gym if need be and you get so many more perks. Like I said last time we did 2 rooms this time we will try 1 bigger one, will let you know if this works or not.

You are kidding about having your boys shower in the gym, right? There arent any perks worth having to do that. The perks are really not worth that behavior on a vacation. Each traveller that has a RCI crown and anchor number assigned to them (by request for your kids over 18) get the same credits. If you had 2 PR you would get two credits- (for a 12 day)

I wouldnt make 3 credits my vacation priority

Sorry just my critique this is cruise "critic"

Perks? these are important to some people,

-early check in with milk and cookies or some type of snack food

everyone sneezed on

-maybe an upgrade *if available, right time

-concierge lounge;

A. mornings-people walk in wearing their bathrobes, very poor etiquette.

Who wants to see a stranger in their bathrobe before they

brush their teeth or comb hair. Room service on the balcony is a much better visual

B. drinks and appetizers before dinner? If you care about this, ok

C. if you need that much help booking a spa appt or excursion....they

provide "assistance", but it isnt priority booking for these

D. internet connection is the same, you can borrow dvd's/cd's but who

has the time or desire

Bedding and decor in suites====worth booking the RFS for 4

Have my husband/boys shower in the gym====not worth it

$100 credit on booking a suite when you reach that status===worth it

Early check in is a farce=====not worth it

Having ones husband shower in the gym====^PRICELESS^

PS your husband is okay with showering in the gym?

^00^

We have done 5 in a grand suite. A 15 year old and two 7 year olds. All three boys.We had a blast and are doing it again. It didn't bother us in the least. If you are used to all being together you know how to live...take turns in the bathroom ect... Have fun on your cruise!;)

I faced the same question when booking the Mariner the week before Christmas. I was going to book a family suite for me, wife and two teenage daughters 14 and 17. When I called to book the TA just laughed and said good luck. After thinking about it and paying attention to just how long the girls take to get ready I would pay for 4 rooms if I had to. Not to mention the hair all over the place, makeup and other stuff I don't even know how to describe. After thinking about it I wish I would have booked rooms across the hall and not joining. That may change if the prices drop on a balcony suite on Deck 7.:rolleyes:

We have done 5 in a grand suite. A 15 year old and two 7 year olds. All three boys.We had a blast and are doing it again. It didn't bother us in the least. If you are used to all being together you know how to live...take turns in the bathroom ect... Have fun on your cruise!

Where does the 3rd child sleep? Do they provide a rollaway?

I am going to go against the majority here...

For 9 and 6 yrs old I would book the JS. I don't think bathroom is a huge issue with that age. Also, we never use our TV. I don't understand how people can be on a cruise and want to stay in there room to watch TV?? Most JS also have walk in closets so there really isn't any extra closet with 2 rooms.

I think down the line once your kids get older, you will always need to get 2 cabins, especially if you have girls. I think treat yourself to the JS now and enjoy the space and most importantly the wondurful balcony and views. Your kids will probably be in Adventure Ocean a lot anyway, at least mine is. Just stagger your shower time.

I also hear promenade rooms are noisy during the night parties and I saw the set up when I peeked in one - I didn't like it at all. It seemed super cramped to me. Having an ajoining door wouldn't make me feel like I was getting anymore room. I personally like more wide open spaces and the windows/balcony, walk in closet, bathtub and the extra width in the JS is more appealing. 2 credits doesn't hurt either. You will only get 1 credit even if you book 2 separate rooms.

HTH

Where does the 3rd child sleep? Do they provide a rollaway?

The cabin steward rolled in a rollaway that my teenager slept on. The boys are twins and are used to sleeping together so they were fine on the couch. The boys were never in the cabin so for us it was a great choice. When they were in the cabin they were sleeping. When the boys were getting ready my husband and I sat on the balcony (another good choice that the promonade rooms don't offer). It is all in how you look at things. For us...we are a six person family. We always find ways to work things out.

Hi -

We're going on the Nov 3rd sailing of Liberty of the Seas. We currently have connecting promenade rooms booked and there is a junior suite available for our cruise. We're two adults with two kids ages 9 and 6, what would you recommend.

We were trying to look into sailing on this cruise, but when I check on website it only shows Cat H, L or I staterooms available, which are only 161 sq ft. This would be too small for our family of 4. All of the suite or balconies seem to be sold out. I was wondering if the junior suite was available to you only through your travel agent or because you already have a room booked? I've been checking on website for several months now and haven't found anything large enough for us on this date.

we are a family of 5 and have had a JS and connecting rooms and I definitely vote for the connecting rooms as well. It's like one big room with 2 bathrooms. Which is great for all their kiddie hygene stuff and such in their bathroom and all ours in the other.

DW wanted to do 2 PRs, but we couldn't get adjoining. She also found out about the Family inside on the Freedom class, but couldn't find one of those available on any sailings. Oh well, we're booked in a Jr. Suite (I'd much prefer to have a balcony!) and have been pondering bumping that up to a Grand Suite.

If I can ever get a Family inside, I'd probably do that. It would be fun to overlook the promenade and people watch, and have the wide open spaces of one room instead of two.

We have done 5 in a grand suite. A 15 year old and two 7 year olds. All three boys.We had a blast and are doing it again. It didn't bother us in the least. If you are used to all being together you know how to live...take turns in the bathroom ect... Have fun on your cruise!;)

Thanks for you kinder reply. I have a son who will be 18 and a daughter who will be 14. She will be the hardest, but they both consider themselves very lucky to be able to go on such a expensive cruise and understand there are issues they will have to deal with. On our first cruise when we had a small outside family room it was small for 4 but we did it. It was my husband idea to go to the gym to shower, he saw it not to be a problem at all. We feel the double size balcony and the much bigger room is a bonus and the happy hour is a nice plus. The reason we took the GS is because it was very inexpensive to do this compared to all the other cruises and felt this might be our only opportunity to ever try it. If we don't like it I chalk it up to a lesson learned. I guess we have a close and tolerant family and it sounds like you do also. So I imagine people not lucky enough to have the same warm family environment would not understand.

I am going to go against the majority here...

For 9 and 6 yrs old I would book the JS. I don't think bathroom is a huge issue with that age. Also, we never use our TV. I don't understand how people can be on a cruise and want to stay in there room to watch TV?? Most JS also have walk in closets so there really isn't any extra closet with 2 rooms.

I think down the line once your kids get older, you will always need to get 2 cabins, especially if you have girls. I think treat yourself to the JS now and enjoy the space and most importantly the wondurful balcony and views. Your kids will probably be in Adventure Ocean a lot anyway, at least mine is. Just stagger your shower time.

I also hear promenade rooms are noisy during the night parties and I saw the set up when I peeked in one - I didn't like it at all. It seemed super cramped to me. Having an ajoining door wouldn't make me feel like I was getting anymore room. I personally like more wide open spaces and the windows/balcony, walk in closet, bathtub and the extra width in the JS is more appealing. 2 credits doesn't hurt either. You will only get 1 credit even if you book 2 separate rooms.

HTH

I was also pondering about whether to get the 2 connecting Promendade rooms or the JS, for our Nov 08 cruise, with our 2 boys who will be 9 and 10 at the time. I decided to go with the JS, even though most opinions are for the connecting rooms. The reason is that most of the time they will probably want to hang out in the same room as us, and it will just be too crowded in a room for 2. Even though the rooms are connecting, it will still be like 2 small separate rooms. I would have really liked the promenade view, but there are no promenade rooms for 4.

Thanks for you kinder reply. I have a son who will be 18 and a daughter who will be 14. She will be the hardest, but they both consider themselves very lucky to be able to go on such a expensive cruise and understand there are issues they will have to deal with. On our first cruise when we had a small outside family room it was small for 4 but we did it. It was my husband idea to go to the gym to shower, he saw it not to be a problem at all. We feel the double size balcony and the much bigger room is a bonus and the happy hour is a nice plus. The reason we took the GS is because it was very inexpensive to do this compared to all the other cruises and felt this might be our only opportunity to ever try it. If we don't like it I chalk it up to a lesson learned. I guess we have a close and tolerant family and it sounds like you do also. So I imagine people not lucky enough to have the same warm family environment would not understand.

My husband would shower at the gym if it means getting a balcony anyday! We love sitting on the balcony at night while the kids are at Adventure Ocean.

Our kids all like to be with us in the same room too! We call it independently dependent. Heck, if you can camp in a tent...you can certainly all fit in a GS or even a JS. I think the balcony is worth the trade off.:D

I was also pondering about whether to get the 2 connecting Promenade rooms or the JS, for our Nov 08 cruise, with our 2 boys who will be 9 and 10 at the time. I decided to go with the JS, even though most opinions are for the connecting rooms. The reason is that most of the time they will probably want to hang out in the same room as us, and it will just be too crowded in a room for 2. Even though the rooms are connecting, it will still be like 2 small separate rooms. I would have really liked the promenade view, but there are no promenade rooms for 4.

My husband would shower at the gym if it means getting a balcony anyday! We love sitting on the balcony at night while the kids are at Adventure Ocean.

Our kids all like to be with us in the same room too! We call it independently dependent. Heck, if you can camp in a tent...you can certainly all fit in a GS or even a JS. I think the balcony is worth the trade off.:D

Ironically you both just reminded me..........The cruise we took in Feb on the AOS my husband and I had a balcony room with the kids right across the hall in a promenade. When they were done getting dressed or they did not want to be in their room alone guess who came into our very small E2 room to just hang with us. It is very hard to get dressed and maneuverer around a room made for 1 1/2 with 3 to 4 people in there. Both your statements made me realize I most likely did book the right room. Thanks for you input.

Archived