Digital Camera - Burning to a CD?????

RDMOREU

We will be on the Westerdam in Nov.

I have just gotten a digital camera (forgive me if I use the wrong terminology) and wonder if the photography 'department' on the Westerdam could take my memory stick and transfer the shots to a CD? (I guess I would preview them before to delete any yucky ones.)

How much might this cost?

Is there any way to estimate how many pictures you could get on a CD or does it matter as to how many pixels (?? resolution ??)you used for your pictures? Maybe, I need to ask how big a memory stick can you transfer to a single CD? I kinda' get the impression that the CD will hold a lot more than a single memory stick (even a 256).

Can you transfer more than 1 memory stick to 1 CD?

By the way, I don't have a laptop to bring along.

Thank you for your patience and information ... lol !!!!

Dolores

Dolores-

I can't answer your questions, but as a digital camera novice myself (can only point and shoot it, but love the camera!) I want to compliment you on asking your questions so well. Understood every word you said and I have the same questions, so will wait for someone to answer. Good job, girl! :D

P.

The Rotterdam, and I assume other HAL ships, now offer burning a CD from a digital memory card for $14.95.

You can review your photos before going to the photo shop by purchasing some computer minutes and veiwing your memory card on the card reader which the computer manager will make available to you. If you want to, you can email some of your favorite pictures home while you're there.

If you plan to email, consider setting your camera's resolution to medium. Usually there are 3 resolution settings, good, better, and best. "Better" works very well for email and sends almost instantly. Best would be for a photo that you plan to print at 8x10 or larger.

Hope this helps. I'm reporting from personal experience.

GN

It depends on the resolution and the size of the card. On a 256 mg card at "better-medium" resolution we got approx 500 pix and they ALL fit on one CD.

At "good" you could probably get 700-800 pix on my card. "Best" would be around 275-300 pix.

GN

Wow....that's a lot of photos... I too just got a great digital camera and am still trying to figure it out. I haven't downloaded my last cruise photos (last year, 2003 Alaska). I have a 256 memory card. I'll just have HAL burn it onto 1 cd for me :-)

It's all relative to how big your pictures are (memory size). With my Nikon digital camera, I use the 1600x1200 pixel "fine" setting (between medium and high). Depending on color saturation, my pics run up to 1 MB each. They vary a lot, and it appears to be due to color saturation. On dreary, gray and rainy days, the pics will be 500KB up to 700KB (again, it varies a lot). On a nice clear day with blue sky, lots of color, my pics will run about 1MB each.

CD's can vary in the amoung of storage. Those I have here are 700MB storage capacity. For instance, I have a CD of pics I took in New England and Canada on a cruise last year. I have 829 pictures at the resolution I mention above. A total of 640MB's of photos, with room to spare. So far, every picture I've taken on a cruise (up to 12 days so far) have fit on one CD for archival purposes. I take lots and lots of pictures too.

It is indeed a good idea to use the screen on the back of your camera and review your pics at the end of the day. While doing that, you can delete the bad pics, and keep the good. That will conserve your memory.

I use Compact Flash Cards, and I have 1 128MB, and 3 256MB cards. I haven't filled them up on a cruise yet. I've had as much as 320 pics on a 256MB card before.

When I go on a trip, I don't worry about downloading to a CD, taking laptops, and all that sort of thing. I just take memory cards (they are a light smaller and lighter than a laptop). If you do research, you can find these things at reasonable prices (depending on what type of memory card you have).

If you take medium quality pictures, like GrannyNurse mentioned, and your pixel dimensions are less, you could get much, much, more on a card that I mentioned above. I haven't tried smaller resolutions yet because I want the pics to be higher quality and real sharp if blown up.

Hope this helps.

Ken

If you are going to have HAL's photoshop put them on CD, you might want to get a 512mb card if you camera supports it. That would give you a CD about 3/4 full and you could take your pictures in high resolution with minimal compression. I doubt if they will put multiple cards on one CD for you, but that is just an assumption on my part. My Minolta Dimage7, at the settings I mentioned, runs close to 2mb per picture and I can enlarge them, crop them without losing any clarity.

Since I carry my laptop with me, I don't have to worry about having HAL do it. I can burn CD's on the laptop..... Hey, I'll burn them $10.95 per disc! Photoshop manipulation to make you look thinner will be a slight extra charge, of course:D

If you are going to have HAL's photoshop put them on CD, you might want to get a 512mb card if you camera supports it. That would give you a CD about 3/4 full and you could take your pictures in high resolution with minimal compression. I doubt if they will put multiple cards on one CD for you, but that is just an assumption on my part.

Oh good question! Does HAL charge per CD or per card?

We're just of the Zuiderdam and they did not have card readers that support this new card format. Easiest way is to just take extra memory cards and as the Cracker Ken said edit out your bad shots at the end of each day using your camera's view screen.

WOW, you guys are the greatest! Thank you so very much for such thorough information! Very, very helpful to a 'newbie' to digital! I'm going to transfer all this info. to a Word doc. so that I can slowly assimilate it.

Peaches - thanks for the nice compliment!

Lovebirds - making me look slimmer would almost be priceless ... lol !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolores

You're really better off bringing a packet of CDR's w/ you and burning them yourself in the computer lounge - it doesnt take but a few minutes and you can sift through and delete the shots that you don't like. You could even burn photo CD's to give to your shipboard friends. Just be sure to bring along the connecting cable that was included w/ your camera so you can hook your camera up to the computer.

You can take your CD to the photo shop for developing if you choose, but unless you are planning to give a print as a gift for your shipboard friends its far less expensive to have them processed ashore or through an online service such as Snapfish.com or Ofoto.com.

We were just on the Rotterdam (July 10) - and they will put one card on one CD only for $14.95. It doesn't matter if it's a 16mb or a 512mb. Their explanation (Phone Kiosk Manager's) as to justification and why is that putting any more cards onto a CD will change the resolution and passengers complained. If they are doing a straight copy then that is just hogwash - so it begs the question as to what they are actually doing to your card and images to change the resolution?? Buyer beware!

That being said - this is a new feature on HAL and they may not have gotten the pat answers perfected ;)

Also - in the gift shop you could buy a 128mb card (dependent on your camera type) for between $29.95 and $59.95 - which was actually a very good deal compared to the prices in my area.

Archived