cruise ending in Stockholm... stay there or somewhere else?

Hello everyone,

Doing the Baltics cruise this July and the disembark port is Stockholm. We have 3-4 days post cruise to things.... what would you suggest? I hear that is too long to stay in Stockholm.. what else (destinations) is nearby that you would suggest?

Many thanks in advance for the help and advice.

what ship are you on going from Stockholm?

I think that you are so fortunate to be staying there for a few days. We are on the Jewel and go into Stockholm on a Sunday, my teenage daughters are disappointed because we think Stockholm sounds such a cool place - very expensive but lots of cool shops. We would love to be there for longer.

I have read about some lovely museums, some rather nice boat trips and of course shopping (window shopping only maybe).

Ollie and Berts Mum

Sorry I posted before I typed in the places I had been looking at.

Vasa Museum

Skansen Museum (looks really nice)

Royal Palace

Several more museums

if you need trips out there are boat trips, and also look up Djurgarden and Uppsala for trips.

Length of time seems less of a problem than the cost - Scandanavian cost of living is very high.

Have a good trip

I would consider myself lucky indeed if I ended a cruise in Stockholm and had 4 days to roam that wonderful city. Hope for good weather, but the middle of July is the very best time to visit Stockholm.

Where to start:

Day 1:

Go to Djurgarden, which is one area of Stockholm.

Visit Vasa museum, take your time

Visit Skansen as long as you'd like

Visit Nordiska museet if you have time left before they close

Day 2:

Visit Midieval museum, about 1 hour

Visit Nationalmuseum, the national art museum

Visit City hall

City hall tower

PM

Visit my very favorite museum the Royal armory in Gamla Stan, the old town. Then walk around old town, shop and look!

Day 3

Excursion to Drottningholm with Sweden's Versailles.

Take the steam boat there, even though it can be reached by bus, the steam boat is a lovely splurge

Visit Drottningholm Castle

Visit the China Castle

If possible, visit the castle theatre (from 1700's)

Day 4

Visit other shopping areas of Stockholm in addition to Gamla Stan. Make sure to try some underground trains, the "T". Some of the Subway stops have wonderful art. Ask the tourist information at the Train station where to go. Stockholm city is not very big, easy to do by bus or by foot.

Get a Stockholm card http://www.stockholmtown.com, to see what is included, but that way, if you don't like something, you can leave quickly. The public transportation is great too. The lines in Stockholm have not been long when I have been there, so that is not a good reason to get the card, just the convenience.

Personally I think that Stockholm has by far more things to offer than day trips away. However, to prove my statement wrong, I also think it is lovely to take a boat trip on one of the many boat into the archipelago, hop off somewhere for a cup of coffee, and go back again.

Happy travels!

I hear that is too long to stay in Stockholm.. what else (destinations) is nearby that you would suggest?

Hmmmmm, I wonder who told you that? :cool:

Greta did a good job of telling you just a few of the things Stockholm has to offer. It's a great city, especially if you have more than a few hours like most cruisers do.

Enjoy,

Al

Agree that Stockholm would be a great place for a postcruise stay. We did a Baltic cruise several years ago and were there for an overnight stop during the cruise and had a great time. We have done several cruises since then, but are definitely waiting for a cruise that starts in Stockholm, since we like to spend a few days in the embarkation city as part of our vacation. You are lucky - enjoy Stockholm!

NJBelle

Agree that Stockholm would be a great place for a postcruise stay. We did a Baltic cruise several years ago and were there for an overnight stop during the cruise and had a great time. We have done several cruises since then, but are definitely waiting for a cruise that starts in Stockholm, since we like to spend a few days in the embarkation city as part of our vacation. You are lucky - enjoy Stockholm!

NJBelle

Oceania Cruises run 14 day trips between Stockholm and London. These are one way trips so they either begin or end in London or Stockholm.

Even though we live in Stockholm, we are considering taking this trip ourselves someday.

Oceania is supposed to be a very nice line.

Skål

Al

I'm also a big fan of Stockholm, although I have not been lucky enough to be able to stay there yet (we visited twice during port calls on Baltics cruises). It is a wonderful place to visit. In addition to all the great info left by Greta, I would add that the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace is very popular with tourists. This is not like the changing of the guard that you would see at Buckingham Palace or Windsor and is more like a bit of a street party. It lasts 45 minutes or more, and the band plays lots of fun songs and marches in many formations. Check with your hotel after you arrive to confirm time and days. My husband and I went inside the Royal Palace in Gamla Stan and thought that was nice too. Even though your cruise line will do the scenic sailing through the archipelago into Stockholm, I would recommend taking the smaller boat tours into that very scenic area. I've sailed in and out 4 times and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Here's a list of side trips from Stockholm if you decide that you want to do that (I haven't taken any of these): http://www.frommers.com/destinations/stockholm/0066010011.html.

I sailed Oceania in the Med last year and think that it is a wonderful cruise line!

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived