Has any used Grayline Alaska Tours?

RCCLismyfav

We were wondering if anyone has ever used Grayline Alaska Tours?

Most are overpriced from what else is available. Their Barrow trip is $200.00 more than you can book it yourself.

Grayline does have a good deal on the Portage Glacier cruise. One of the trips (IIRC, late afternoon) is 1/2 price.

JMHO, look elsewhere. You will probably be happier and save money.

We are thinking of taking a 7 day cruise to AL with RC but also would like to have a guided 7 day tour on the inside passage and Parks. Can anyone suggest a company to do this with. We don't want to drive it ourselves would like to see wild life, glass train, some parks and glaciers.

I would also love to go to an Indian village has anyone ever been able to do this?

We are thinking of taking a 7 day cruise to AL with RC but also would like to have a guided 7 day tour on the inside passage and Parks. Can anyone suggest a company to do this with. We don't want to drive it ourselves would like to see wild life, glass train, some parks and glaciers.

I would also love to go to an Indian village has anyone ever been able to do this?

If I understand you correctly, you are taking a cruise along the inside passage, but would like to see some of interior Alaska.

There are excursions available from your ship or privately along the cruise route through the inside passage. So what you need is some kind of plan where you don't have to drive to see some more of Alaska, correct?

Just a couple of suggestions and a question: You probably want to see Denali. You want to see an Indian village. You want to see wildlife. What type of budget are you working with?

The village can get pricey as it will be a fly in. The train is easily booked to Denali from Anchorage. There are a lot of hotels in Denali. The shuttle bus/tour bus into Denali is easy. There is a train to Seward to see glaciers and the SeaLife Center. Bear viewing is another pricey but spectacular tour.

You will have to narrow down your choices. Read back through some of the posts.

I truly believe you will regret going on an organized tour-too much time spent in transit, too long waiting for people to load and unload buses, too restricted where you can go, what you will see, and where you will stay.

Please decide what you REALLY want to do and your time frame and we will all come up with suggestions. Then we will point you to someone who can book it all for you and take care of the logistics if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. But only AFTER you have decided what you really want to do.

Greatam,

We are thinking of a 7 day cruise with RC the 7 night Alaska North Bound Cruise leaving on Aug. 29, 08.

We have 7 days prior to then and would like to see the interior of Alaska. We have been looking at Grayline Alaska Tours and at a cost of about 1700.00 per person for 7 days we can go to Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, and Whittier, and travel on Glass dome train, bus, and boat. It sounds ok but their is a lot of loading and unloading as you stated. There are some stops that will include listening to a lot of history which we are not to thrilled about we are not one's for riding a lot, listening to someone talk for hours on end and don't want to waste our money or time on things we are not to thrilled about doing.

DH and I was not sure if we could do the driving oursleves and we did not want to spend all of our time on the road getting lost and or wasting our time trying to get to point a and b, so that was the reason why we were looking at the above. But we don't know much about Alaska and for someone that has a lot of experience there maybe we can figure out what is best for us.

We are not concerned about the excursions while cruising it is the 7 days we want to see the interior before boarding the ship.

We do have a budget but we want to do this right. Our budget is about 10,000 for 14 days and that includes EVERTHING!

We want to stay away from going to centers, history mus. to see and read about the wild life,and or history. I get very bored and restless having to walk around inside and listening to someone that I could read about at home free.

So the 7 days prior is what we are concerned about, and yes Denali is at the top of our list, but we need to know the must see while doing the interior. Will it take a couple of days to see Denali?

So I would appreciate any and all help from people that have a lot of knowledge and experience about Alaska.

Greatam,

We are thinking of a 7 day cruise with RC the 7 night Alaska North Bound Cruise leaving on Aug. 29, 08.

We have 7 days prior to then and would like to see the interior of Alaska. We have been looking at Grayline Alaska Tours and at a cost of about 1700.00 per person for 7 days we can go to Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, and Whittier, and travel on Glass dome train, bus, and boat. It sounds ok but their is a lot of loading and unloading as you stated. There are some stops that will include listening to a lot of history which we are not to thrilled about we are not one's for riding a lot, listening to someone talk for hours on end and don't want to waste our money or time on things we are not to thrilled about doing.

DH and I was not sure if we could do the driving oursleves and we did not want to spend all of our time on the road getting lost and or wasting our time trying to get to point a and b, so that was the reason why we were looking at the above. But we don't know much about Alaska and for someone that has a lot of experience there maybe we can figure out what is best for us.

We are not concerned about the excursions while cruising it is the 7 days we want to see the interior before boarding the ship.

We do have a budget but we want to do this right. Our budget is about 10,000 for 14 days and that includes EVERTHING!

We want to stay away from going to centers, history mus. to see and read about the wild life,and or history. I get very bored and restless having to walk around inside and listening to someone that I could read about at home free.

So the 7 days prior is what we are concerned about, and yes Denali is at the top of our list, but we need to know the must see while doing the interior. Will it take a couple of days to see Denali?

So I would appreciate any and all help from people that have a lot of knowledge and experience about Alaska.

First off, you have the wrong idea about driving in Alaska, extremely simple. NO WAY to get lost, only one road to locations. Mostly well maintained 2 lane roads, some 4 lane. No way in comparism to driving elsewhere. A very relaxing way to travel. KEY point is to fully research allow time.

As a suggestion, consider Denali Park and Seward with your wildlife interest. These are top areas. You are best with at least 2 nights at Denali Park, and the SHUTTLE bus to at least Fish Creek. I never recommend the tour buses for independent visitors.

With your RCI priority for sailing, this works out perfectly for visiting Seward, and your priority for a train ride offers Seward/Anchorage as the most scenic portion. I suggest at least a 1 night stay, here. Kenai Fjords boat tours are excellent.

Although not a "village" Eklutna Spirit House tours are extremely worthwhile for a native history tour. About an hour, and you past this on the way to Denali Park. The Native Alaska Museum in Anchorage is also excellent, if you don't want a fly in somewhere.

You should have NO problem doing your trip in your budget guidelines. http://www.toursaver.com may offer some savings. Books for 2008 come out in November.

As a suggestion- don't get too tied up in an itinerary at this point. Do your research on the areas, and make a list of your top choices. Don't get locked into reservations with cancelation fees without have your ENTIRE trip planned. It's a given you are going to find more and more of interest, with the first choices going by the wayside. You have plenty of time with going in 2008. So make the best of it, the key for a great tour for your interests is all the fine tuning. It won't come together right a way, but will. :)

Archived