Anyone ever booked last minute cruises?

You would have to define "last minute" for me, but I always book 4-6 weeks out. When I get the bug, I want to go NOW.

I think I get as good or better deals than most, BUT cabin selection is limited.

Personally, I dont care all that much where I sleep, so thats okay with me, but if you just have to have a certain type of stateroom, you are better off booking early, I think

I got an email and ended up seeing a price for a carnival cruise that I couldn't refuse...it was leaving only 3 weeks later. I took off with the kids and left the hubby at home. :)

The room was an ocean view on a low level...we usually travel in suites/balconies but they were all sold out by then. But we had no problems.

Hi! I just booked on Friday April 13 for the Explorer leaving 4/29. The price was amazing and used points for airfare etc. so it was pretty hard to say no to that. I would agree that cabin selection is limited but we still got an aft D1 balcony pretty cheap so i think this is the way to go for sure.

CRUISINGMAMA06 - the 2 kids and i are going and my DH is staying home to work - what was it like travelling with just your kids? Did you do much on your own?

In Jan. we did a "Happy Hour special" on the Grandeur out of New Orleans. The price was great plus we got a cheap flight. First time we ever did this but it won't be our last. We booked and three weeks later were on the ship. We had a wonderful time in the middle of winter enjoying the sun and 86 degree weather. I check those special out often.

Spur of the moment or last minute cruises can be just great if you live within driving distance of the departure port. However, for those who live in mid America, the cost of last minute airfare can far outweigh the bargain cruise fare. So those of us near the main Florida or California ports or NY/NJ can take advantage of what some of those from Omaha or Kansas City cannot. And the cruise lines are much aware of this and will sometimes advertise the low last minute fares only in those states.

We actually booked one last year two days out. I booked it about 3 in the afternoon and we flew out the next morning. The cruise closed to new passengers within minutes of us booking it, as the cruiseline has to provide the passenger manifest a certain number of hours before a cruise. We got a great price on the cruise as well as the air. I sure surprised my husband when he got home from work that day on how quickly I pulled this one together!

I believe they have changed the rules now and must close a cruise 72 hours before sailing. Why not be spontaneous if you can get a good price and are happy with the cabins that are available.

Archived