DIRECTIONS to POMPEII from PORT

Can someone give me exact directions on how to get to the SITE of POMPEII from the PORt where the BRILLIANCE OF SEAS would dock? THEN, how do I get a PRIVATE GUIDE once at the POMPEII site. Can we then go BACK to the SHIP using the same directions...

I know there is a TRAIN

I know you can hire a TAXI at the port?

How do you do these things???

Thanks for your help...

:)

1. Once off the ship, hail a cab in the parking lot and ask them to take you to the train station. Important: Cab driver will want you to hire them for the day. You can get around this by telling the driver that you are meeting friends at the station who live in Naples! (It really is too far to walk from the ship and you'll waste time.) The fare for 2 people is about 10 Euro, double for 4 people.

2. Once at the train station, you will buy your tickets on the street level. Ask for Pompeii Scavi. Just walk up to the window and say "Pompeii Scavi, per favore". The one-way ticket is less than $5. Once you've purchased the ticket, take escalators downstairs to the trains. There are alot of trains, so ask again, "Pompeii Scavi, per favore?"

3. Get off at the Pompeii SCAVI station. NOT the Pompeii station. Scavi = excavation. Once out of the station (small), turn right on the road and walk about half a block.

4. If you want a guide there will probably be people hanging around offering their services.

5. We felt the audio guide was sufficient. There were only two of us and we saw about 3/4 of the site in 6 hours. If you think you might buy the audio guide, be sure to bring your DRIVER'S LICENSE with you, as they require it or your passport as collateral for bringing the guide back. (We didn't want to leave our passports.) The cost was about 5 Euros each.

6. Don't miss the printed guide, free, near the entrance. It is at a window near the rest rooms. It's available in many different languages, is very comprehensive, and I felt a nice souvenir. You can bring one home for friends as well...they did not limit you to one.

7. Buy your tickets at the window, about 10 Euros each.

8. I suggest the "before and after" book available in the gift shop. Don't be tempted to buy the one from the vendors outside the entrance (like I did!), as the ones in the shop are so much better quality and the same price. There are other really great publications for sale there, as well as the usual postcards and some cool reproduction coins.

9. Check out the thousands of urns stored near the grassy courtyard.Don't miss the necropolis and the stadium. Be sure and carefully check out the paintings you encounter. They are incredible. Take lots of film or compact flash cards because the photo opps are unbelievable here.

10. Like dogs? There are lots of friendly strays living here. Their interaction and community was an interesting observation in-an-of itself.

11. When you are finished, go back to the train station, purchase a ticket from the machine or the ticket seller and retrace your trip back to Naples. Hire a taxi at the taxi stand and HOLD ON! Taxi rides during rush hour in Naples is like the scariest thrill ride you've ever been on!

ENJOY POMPEII! It really is a fascinating study in civilization. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

I'll second everything said by chickspal...apart from ....10. Like dogs?

The UK is free of rabies, but it is present in some animals in Europe - I would avoid all strays, no matter how friendly

I agree with Suekay on the dog issue. I would never recommend approaching or touching them. And they don't really interact with the people...but observing the dynamic in this unexpected place was an interesting side note.

HAVE A FAB TIME!

I agree wiyh Sue,

Always avoid animals in Europe. one of the things about the Channel Tunnel was the fear of letting rabies into the UK. The treatment for Rabies is possibly one of the most unpleasant you could go through.

Chick's Pal - this is the most complete directions I have seen on this site! We are not going until next year but I have printed them out and will most certainly keep them in the file that is growing by the day for our cruise. Thanks so much for the clear & concise way you have done this!!!

Just to add to the information above, from the port you can also take tram numbers 1 & 4 or the Alibus or local buses 3s and 152 to Naples Central Station. Having bought your rail ticket (current price of single rail journey 2.20 E ,but there is a ticket that includes the bus as well) to Pompei Scavi you need to go the Circumvesuviana (the private railway line that serves Pompei Scavi) platforms which are located in the basement of Naples Central Station. Trains to Pompei Scavi are on the Sorrento line. (http://WWW.vesuviana.it).

it was a hot uninspiring walk though yucky neighborhod that looked a lot like NYC's poorer sections. The taxi drivers in the port area are pretty vicious but the bus runs through there too

ijkh

We also walked to the station.....well nearly!!

We asked directions from a respectable looking Mama and her grown-up daughter who were going into a small apartment block. She looked at us doubtfully as she was giving sign language directions......then told us to get into her car and she'd take us to the station. Getting into the car, it did pass through my mind that we were quite mad - getting into a stranger's car in a foreign country where we don't speak one word of the language. But thank goodness we did - the route to the station was through the roughest district I have EVER seen! We normally love wandering round the back streets and seeing local life, but this is not to be recommended in Naples. I'd recommend bus or taxi in future

OK now MIKE ANDREWS said to take a TRAM or a BUS/.. what is the TRAM? We will have a baby with us in a stroller. and 4 adults.. we want to go to POMPEII SCAVI using the train, and then tell us... to go to SORRENTO, is that easy to do from POMPEII SCAVI, and then go BACK to NAPLES TRAIN STATION?

At tram is a trolley or light rail. These directions won't be on a par with Chickspal's, but as you come out of the port terminal in Naples to your left across the parking lot there will be a "Tabacchi" kiosk that in addition to cigaretts sells snacks, drinks, and newspapers. Go in and buy tickets for zone 3 ("biglietti, fascia 3") for I think €4.40 each. You can use these tickets on the bus, tram and train. The #1 and 4 trams stop on a little island on the street in front of the port and kiosk. Busses 3S and 152 also go to the station. Take the tram and busses going to your right (south) when your back is to the port. The trams go about a mile or a mile and a half with the port on your right. Then they turn left (snarling traffic) and go inland at right angles to the coast. About eight blocks after the turn the tram passes what seems to be a bus and train station on your right. It is Ferrovie dello Stato Station, on Piazza Garibaldi. If you are in any doubt just turn to anyone on the tram and ask "Ferrovie?" which means railroad. If it is the right stop they will practically shove you off, and if the baby is with you the Neapolitans will carry the stroller onto the stop. Italians in general are crazy about babies. To the right of the station are some escalators going down. Take them and go through the turnstiles because that is the right train station and the tickets you bought in the kiosk are valid for the trip. The trains and their time should be posted. You can easily go on to Sorrento from Pompeii Scavi by train (buy train tickets at the Pompeii Scavi station), but after four hours or so going through the ruins (and Pompeii deserves that) I think you may want to get back to the ship and put your feet up. I am sure you will have a great time whichever way you go.

At tram is a trolley or light rail. These directions won't be on a par with Chickspal's, but as you come out of the port terminal in Naples to your left across the parking lot there will be a "Tabacchi" kiosk that in addition to cigaretts sells snacks, drinks, and newspapers. Go in and buy tickets for zone 3 ("biglietti, fascia 3") for I think €4.40 each. You can use these tickets on the bus, tram and train. The #1 and 4 trams stop on a little island on the street in front of the port and kiosk. Busses 3S and 152 also go to the station. Take the tram and busses going to your right (south) when your back is to the port. The trams go about a mile or a mile and a half with the port on your right. Then they turn left (snarling traffic) and go inland at right angles to the coast. About eight blocks after the turn the tram passes what seems to be a bus and train station on your right. It is Ferrovie dello Stato Station, on Piazza Garibaldi. If you are in any doubt just turn to anyone on the tram and ask "Ferrovie?" which means railroad. If it is the right stop they will practically shove you off, and if the baby is with you the Neapolitans will carry the stroller onto the stop. Italians in general are crazy about babies. To the right of the station are some escalators going down. Take them and go through the turnstiles because that is the right train station and the tickets you bought in the kiosk are valid for the trip. The trains and their time should be posted. You can easily go on to Sorrento from Pompeii Scavi by train (buy train tickets at the Pompeii Scavi station), but after four hours or so going through the ruins (and Pompeii deserves that) I think you may want to get back to the ship and put your feet up. I am sure you will have a great time whichever way you go.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY, IT SOUNDS EASY ENOUGH.. YOU DON'T THINK WE WILL GET LOST? I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SHOULD GO DOWNSTAIRS IN THE TRAIN STATION.. TO GET THE TRAIN TO POMPEII SCAVI AND YOU MAY BE RIGHT, TO GO TO SORRENTO, MIGHT BE A BIT MUCH, AND WE WILL WANT TO GET BACK ON THE SHIP AND PUT OUR FEET UP AFTER HAVING A NICE LUNCH ON THE UPPER DECK!!!

ANY OHTER ADVISE.. THOUGHT WE WOULD GET A GUIDE OUTSIDE THE POMPEII SIGHT, RATHER THAN USE THE AUDIO TAPE.. DON'T WANT TO LEAVE OUR DRIVER'S LICENSE THERE.

I will be leaving for Europe (Athens, during Olympics) next week and then on 10-day E. Mediterranean on Millennium from Venice to Barcelona. I just booked my shore excursions, but was planning in Naples to go to Pompeii earlier in day then back to ship, then to Capri with friends on our own. Pompeii also seems easy enough to do alone and can stay as long as you want with no "cameo factory" stop.

Just so I understand, you can take either of the two trams or two buses to the train station, and that is the only ticket you need to buy at kiosk covering trams and train to and from Pompeii??

Also, I wonder how long is the tour by audio guide. Is it really 4 hours, or how long?!? Is personal guide for entire group a better option, and how long does that last? I want to get a taste of the Pompeii highlights but for me this trip is for pleasure and relaxation, not as much for a scholarly study.

YES, good question, how long does this GUIDE that you pay about 100 E for last? We are going to be with a baby, and not on a scholarly mission, so that is a good question.. and DOES THIS ONE TICKET THAT WE BUY GET US ON THE TRAM/BUS TO THE TRAIN STATION AND THEN TAKE THE TRAIN TO POMPEII SCAVI?

"Just so I understand, you can take either of the two trams or two buses to the train station, and that is the only ticket you need to buy at kiosk covering trams and train to and from Pompeii??"

You understand correctly. If you get the "fascia tre" ticket it is good for travel within three concentric zones around Naples, which includes Pompeii. The Circumvesuviana railroad is private and does not honor Eurorail, but it does take the tickets you will buy at the kiosk in Naples. When you first board a bus or tram be sure to run the tickets through a small machine you will see near the entrance. This time stamps ("convalidar" - more or less in Italian) the ticket and you have a few hours of free movement within the three zones. Coming back from Pompeii buy tickets at the train station and time stamp them at boxes you will see on the platform. Finally, I did Pompeii with an audioguide and if I wanted to listen to everything recorded on the guide I could easily have spent over four hours there listening, looking, and walking. The place is fascinating.

We used the audio guide - you are given basic details for each "stop", with the option to press another button if you want further detail/info. If certain stops don't interest you, you can skip that bit of the commentary.

We didn't use the tour guide so I don't know how long the tour lasted or how "scholarly" it was. We wanted to be able to just wander around and soak up the atmosphere, so the audioguide suited us on that occasion

Archived