Skagway - Which RR excursion to take

steveknj

My tour with Chilkoot Charters (Yukon Rail and Bus Excursion) was sold out so now I have to figure out which tour to take. I'm on the NCL Pearl June 3rd, and I was trying to compare the tours that they offer with what I can still do with Chilkoot. NCL offers what sounded to me a similar tour to what I got locked out of called the Ultimate Yukon and White Pass Railway, and while it does the dog sledding camp, it was unclear if this tour went to Emerald Lake. There's also the more expensive Chilkoot tour called Carcoos to Skagway which DOES include Emerald Lake but not the Dog Sledders camp.

So my question is, which is more worth it, going all the way to Emerald Lake or the Dog Sledders Camp? Also, if anyone knows about the NCL offering, does it go to Emerald Lake?

Other than the dog sled camp - the biggest difference between the 2 Chilkoot Charters excursions to the Yukon is the distance covered by the train. The Yukon rail/bus excursion takes the train to Fraser, BC (~ mile 27), then goes to Carcross/Emerald Lake and back by bus. The Carcross rail/bus excursion (new for 2007) takes the train all the way to Carcross (~ mile 67) with a lunch stop on the way at Lake Bennett - then goes from there to Emerald Lake and back by bus.

Here's more info about the train portion of the Carcross rail/bus excursion: http://www.wpyr.com/yukonadventure.html

I hope others can help you with the NCL excursion.

I am in the same boat ( no pun intended). We tried to book with Chilkook for arrival in Skagway on the Diamond Princess on July 11 and that tour is full already:( So I am trying to get a seat on the Carcross trip, although my daughter is going to be so dissappointed about the dog sled thing. I have to try and do that at another point in the trip.

Princess has a similar tour, I dont think it goes to Emerald Lake. I think it would have said so in the info if it did

I am in the same boat ( no pun intended). We tried to book with Chilkook for arrival in Skagway on the Diamond Princess on July 11 and that tour is full already:( So I am trying to get a seat on the Carcross trip, although my daughter is going to be so dissappointed about the dog sled thing. I have to try and do that at another point in the trip.

Princess has a similar tour, I dont think it goes to Emerald Lake. I think it would have said so in the info if it did

Yes, that's exactly what I thought. I may call NCL and find out for sure. If it does, then I'll book the NCL one. If not, then I'm not sure exactly what to do

I found out that the NCL doesn't go to Emerald Lake, so which should I do, go on the Chilkoot full tour all the way out to Emerald Lake or should I take the shorter tour and do the dog mushers camp?

"The Carcross rail/bus excursion (new for 2007) takes the train all the way to Carcross (~ mile 67) with a lunch stop on the way at Lake Bennett - then goes from there to Emerald Lake and back by bus."

We are taking this new excusion (mentioned by NancyIL) in June. It's not that much more time than the other and as long as we are there we might as well go "all the way" by train :)

"The Carcross rail/bus excursion (new for 2007) takes the train all the way to Carcross (~ mile 67) with a lunch stop on the way at Lake Bennett - then goes from there to Emerald Lake and back by bus."

We are taking this new excusion (mentioned by NancyIL) in June. It's not that much more time than the other and as long as we are there we might as well go "all the way" by train :)

That was what we were thinking, but was just wondering if doing the dog mushers camp was worth doing over doing the whole length of the railroad

Archived