Excursions to avoid

Bunie2

Hilo

Hilo Bay Waterfall and Kayak (ITO218), big waste of money, kayak across the bay about 1.5 miles then go to a small river area. The waterfalls are coming off some rocks in front of some rusted out warehouse, very ugly.

Kona

Black Sand Snorkel and Beach (KOA249) not much to see snorkeling, the black sand beach is a small area you can swim to, but not worth it.

Maui

Becch Day in Maui (OGG211) Long ride to this beach, not any prettier than the beaches you can walk to from the pier.

Maui

Lahiana on you Own (OGG3056) Lahaina is great, love this town, but you can get a roundtrip taxi ride form the pier cheaper than booking this excursion.

In Maui, did your ship dock in Lahaina or Kahului? If Lahaina, then I can see why your comments regarding the beach day and Lahaina trips would make a lot of sense, but if in Kahului I was under the impression that there are no beaches near the port and that a cab to Lahaina would be exceedingly expensive (therefore, rent a car).

So if you docked an hour away by car, would those trips have been more worthwhile?

Really! That is very interesting - everything I had read both here and elsewhere online suggested there was no beach at all in Kahului, and an NCL rep specifically told me where wasn't one. That's very heartening to hear. Thanks for the tip!

There's a beach at Kahului near the pier, but it's definitely the best. It's the north side of the island making it very windy with rough conditions. Plus the entire port area is in a commerical area, not picturesque at all. As of a few weeks ago, it was kind of nasty....in all honesty. :p

If I were on a cruise ship docked at Kahului and that beach was my only Maui beach experience, I would come away with a very unpleasant memory. There are so many beaches, Maui is known for them; try to get out and see a different one, esp on the south or west side. It's definitely worth it.

There's a beach at Kahului near the pier, but it's definitely the best. It's the north side of the island making it very windy with rough conditions. Plus the entire port area is in a commerical area, not picturesque at all. As of a few weeks ago, it was kind of nasty....in all honesty. :p

If I were on a cruise ship docked at Kahului and that beach was my only Maui beach experience, I would come away with a very unpleasant memory. There are so many beaches, Maui is known for them; try to get out and see a different one, esp on the south or west side. It's definitely worth it.

I MADE A MAJOR MISTAKE IN MY FIRST SENTENCE!!!! I meant to say

"There's a beach at Kahului near the pier, but it's definitely NOT the best"

Sorry.....:o

Hilo

Hilo Bay Waterfall and Kayak (ITO218), big waste of money, kayak across the bay about 1.5 miles then go to a small river area. The waterfalls are coming off some rocks in front of some rusted out warehouse, very ugly.

This is good to know. I've wondered about those trips.

Kona

Black Sand Snorkel and Beach (KOA249) not much to see snorkeling, the black sand beach is a small area you can swim to, but not worth it.

Was it Punalu'u beach? If so, I can see your disappointment. I know that some people enjoy the snorkeling there, but it wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice. The beach is beautiful though. Black sand isn't something we see every day of the week.

Maui

Becch Day in Maui (OGG211) Long ride to this beach, not any prettier than the beaches you can walk to from the pier.

Absolutely do not agree with this. The beaches close to the pier are on the windward side of the island and are best known for windsurfing and kitesurfing. They are beautiful, but not where I would spend a whole beach day. I don't care to sit in the wind with sand blowing all day. Kahana (a prime windsurfing beach) is the only one within walking distance (a little more than a mile). The others are at least a 7 mile drive from the pier--you can't walk the shoreline to them (as the crow flies, they'd still be at least 4 to 5 mile walk). I don't know which beach they took you to, but I'm sorry that it wasn't a good one. There are so many lovely and relaxing beaches on the west and south-west (leeward) side.

Maui

Lahiana on you Own (OGG3056) Lahaina is great, love this town, but you can get a roundtrip taxi ride form the pier cheaper than booking this excursion.

How much was the excursion? A taxi from Kahului to Lahaina costs well over $100 r/t. Did you pay more than that for the excursion? If so, then you did get a bad deal.

DH and I tend to agree wholeheartedly that ship's excursions are not worth the cost. We always (with only one or two exceptions over the years) rent cars or book privately. In Hawaii, we always rent a car and go off on our own. I am sorry that you didn't get good value for your money. That's a shame.

beachchick

Over the years I have found that this board in general is anti ship tour.I have done independent as well as ship tours.and have been satisfied with both.We have rented a car for our pre and post stay in Ohau,but for the cruise portion we have booked all ship tours.IMHO driving all day is not a relaxing or enjoyable experience.I will post my review.

Over the years I have found that this board in general is anti ship tour.I have done independent as well as ship tours.and have been satisfied with both.We have rented a car for our pre and post stay in Ohau,but for the cruise portion we have booked all ship tours.IMHO driving all day is not a relaxing or enjoyable experience.I will post my review.

I've noticed that too - especially in Hawaii, it seems that the knee-jerk reaction is "don't do the ship tours". Now for Hawaii, it's pretty clear to me that the vast majority of highlights are usually just expensive bus trips, when you can see the same thing by yourself in a car (example: virtually everything of note in Kauai). But some places it's nice to use a cruise-organized trip. For example, the Haleakala sunrise biking trip, it's not much cheaper to do it on your own, and it's nice to have it organized by your cruise ship. Similarly with surfing (my other Maui excursion) it will be nice to be in a group exclusively with PoH passengers. But beyond that I'm only taking the Kona Captain Zodiac tour through NCL, and getting a car in Hilo and both Kauai days.

I think it all comes down to a reasoned decision of "How much does this trip cost? What am I gaining by doing it through the cruise line? Can I do it on my own?" One easy one is VNP. Why would I pay $110 per person to go to Chain Of Craters Rd. when I can rent a Thrifty car for $30 and pay $10 park admission, and do it myself at my own pace?

But I know some people are not comfortable with renting a car and driving around a strange new area when they can have someone do it for them. Myself, I have no problem with this. I have my maps all printed out and ready to go, and I'm looking forward to having full control over my day.

In Maui, did your ship dock in Lahaina or Kahului? If Lahaina, then I can see why your comments regarding the beach day and Lahaina trips would make a lot of sense, but if in Kahului I was under the impression that there are no beaches near the port and that a cab to Lahaina would be exceedingly expensive (therefore, rent a car).

So if you docked an hour away by car, would those trips have been more worthwhile?

We tendered to Lahania, and rented a car. It is worth renting the car. We were to Hahului very quickly, enroute to other sites. Actually, we were quited envious seeing the docked ship there, after loosing all of the time to tendering in Lahaina. Rent the car, enjoy your day.

In the terminal at the port there's a list of taxi prices...

Taxi to Lahaina - $25.00 per person roundtrip (up to 6 people)

We paid $28.00 per person roundtrip and that was from 9:00am - 4:00pm on the shuttle

$3.00 per person is not much, my point is you can take the taxi anytime

I am really looking forward to the Pride of Aloha on May 11th.

I have booked the following excursions:

Kauai - ship's luau, flight on Air Ventures

Kona - beach day (we will do the glass bottom boat, snorkel for the first time, and enjoy the water bikes as it is all included in the price)

Hilo - Anani(sp?) Gardens & Akaka Falls

Pre-cruise we are in Honolulu for the weekend and will have a rental car. We will also have a car in Maui. This will be enough driving for us.

In the terminal at the port there's a list of taxi prices...

Taxi to Lahaina - $25.00 per person roundtrip (up to 6 people)

We paid $28.00 per person roundtrip and that was from 9:00am - 4:00pm on the shuttle

$3.00 per person is not much, my point is you can take the taxi anytime

This is surprising, and welcome, news. This service is not the standard taxi fare, so it must be something arranged by one of the companies or through the cruise line. Very helpful to know.

Did they list hours? This might be very helpful for people looking for transport to and from Lahaina or Ka'anapali for the evening luaus. If the service runs late enough, it would be very useful.

beachchick

Did they list hours? This might be very helpful for people looking for transport to and from Lahaina or Ka'anapali for the evening luaus. If the service runs late enough, it would be very useful.

I did not notice if they listed hours, it had several items listed on that board. I noticed the ride to Lahaina because we had already booked the excursion with the ship and was getting ready to go. If I had thought about it I would have taken a picture of the board so I could post.

How far is it from where Princess tenders in at Lahaina to Lahaina itself. We were planning on just walking to down to look around. We have been to Maui twice for a week at a time and did not think it warranted a $28 pp charge. But I do not the the exact location of the tender pier.

The tender pier at Lahaina is directly in front of the old hotel (Pioneer?), across the street from a giant banyan tree that covers the whole block, and about l block away from the main street. If you go through a shopping mall across that street, there are buses to the beach and Whaler's Village for a few dollars. Lahaina is a good walking town.

I just want to say,that it is not always about the money.Of course I don't want to throw my money away.DH and I want to spend quality time together as well as meeting and mingling with our fellow cruise passengers.Can't hold hands and be romantic while driving on winding roads.Secondly DH drove a truck for the past...years and it is not his idea of a great vacation.

I have been a cruise critic member since 2001 and it has been the same on every trip.The majority of cruise critic posters are anti ship tours.I tend to do a variety of different excursions on each cruise.

I am by far "anti ship tour". We take excursions through the ship on every trip. I have never rented a car, went out on my own for an excursion.

I loved the following excursions. :o

Molokini Crater Snorkel in Maui

Body Glove Snorkel in Kona

Volcanoes National Park in Hilo

I was just trying to let people know of excursions that are "printed" as one thing and when you get there it is totally different.

Does anybody know, do they let you off the ship earlier then the posted time? I need to be at the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter Office by 8:30 a.m. The time on the itinerary to disembark is 8 a.m. I was told the dock is across the street from the office but I am concerned that we will be late. I tried to book a later flight but none were available. Anyones help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Does anybody know, do they let you off the ship earlier then the posted time? I need to be at the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter Office by 8:30 a.m. The time on the itinerary to disembark is 8 a.m. I was told the dock is across the street from the office but I am concerned that we will be late. I tried to book a later flight but none were available. Anyones help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck

You're asking about Kauai? If so, the ship docks pretty much at the stated times (maybe a bit earlier or later, but more likely earlier; except that Nawiliwili can be a bit more difficult to get into, so...hard to say). However, I know that many pax take the early morning Blue Hawaiian tours. They do have to get the ship fully docked, the gangplanks down, security in place, etc. before pax can disembark. It doesn't seem to take long, but should be considered.

I think you will probably be fine, but you should do two things. First, tell Blue Hawaiian that you are coming off the ship. That way, they will know that you might be a few minutes late. Second, be ready to go the minute the ship allows pax to disembark. There will probably be a fairly long line, so get there a bit early. Based on what others have said, the Blue Hawaiian office is just down the block and is less than 10 minutes walk from the ship.

beachchick

Archived