How formal is formal night on the Mariner

Just wondering how formal the formal nights are. What is expected, especially for teenage boys. I am all for a nice suit and getting dressed up but if they can get away with a sport coat and tie they might be happier. Although, my 14 year old son likes a tux, would he look overdressed?

Also, is there a charge for all room service? I cruised with Costa last year and we ordered from a limited breakfast menu that was complimentary. Quite nice, actually:) The cappucino was fabulous!

Thanks

You may not know it, but you may have opened up a can of worms. Dress code is one of those things that many people have different feelings about. IMO, though, what you described should be just fine. As for the tux, some people wear them and some don't. Personally, I'll be wearing one on my Mariner cruise but that's because I like getting the chance to dress up a bit. If your son wants to wear a tux he will by no means be out of place. Others will as well.

The room service on the ship is complimentary (be sure to tip, though). One thing that a lot of people like about RCI is the fact that their room service breakfast is not limited and you can get a full breakfast is you want. I've also heard that you can usually get what's in the dining room during regular dining hours (no lobster, though).

Have a GREAT time and enjoy your cruise!!!

As on most mainstream lines now, "Formal Night" is only as formal as you want to make it. Your boys would not be out of place in either outfit. For many young men today a jacket and tie would be as dressed up as they ever get, and they would feel very "fancy" doing so. If your kids have tuxes and are willing to wear them, I say YEA! Especially if you and dad are also done right up. For us, dressing up is a very special part of our cruise holidays since we have the opportunity so seldom at home.

That said, you will see lots and lots of people who don't seem to be dressed up at all (khakis and a golf shirt, capris with a tank top). It does not bother me in the least and I try to remember that I have no idea what their normal standards are - for them this might be as good as it gets. Either way, it's their choice. BTW, I've never seen anybody turned away from the dining room during dinner even on formal night as long as they're not wearing shorts.

As for room service, unless you want certain beverages (pop, or something alcoholic) there is no charge for anything on the regular menu. No specialty coffee available though; and sadly Seattle's Best doesn't deliver:( .

Happy Sails,

Annette

Archived