Ballentyne Pier - Vancouver - Question

jjb415

My ship will be coming into Ballentyne Pier in Vancouver. In researching this, I've heard that it is an industrial area. Is it possible to walk to the Canada Place area to catch the city bus to the airport? I will be traveling light and don't mind the walk if there are sidewalks and I'll be safe from comercial traffic. I've used the local city transportation to the airport and back several times in the past. Thanks in advance!:)

My ship will be coming into Ballentyne Pier in Vancouver. In researching this, I've heard that it is an industrial area. Is it possible to walk to the Canada Place area to catch the city bus to the airport? I will be traveling light and don't mind the walk if there are sidewalks and I'll be safe from comercial traffic. I've used the local city transportation to the airport and back several times in the past. Thanks in advance!:)

Hi, I would not recommend walking to Canada Place from Ballantyne pier. Unfortunately the walk would take you through the worst part of Vancouver, where the drug addicts and prostitutes hang out. I would take the 10 minute taxi ride from the pier.

I would agree with the other posters that walking to Canada Place wouldn't be a great experience but you could take the city bus on Powell Street - right outside Ballantyne Pier to within a block of the 98B bus to the Airport and your transfer is good for the complete trip.

Hope this further helps

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you everyone for your quick, kind responses. This great information will help me quite a lot. Thanks again.:)

We took a cruiseline bus from Ballantyne to our downtown hotel last week.

The bus ride takes you past your worst nightmares of street life. I would take Ocho Rios anyday over that part of Vancouver. We witnessed public urination, drug deals, prostitution (ya know it when ya see it), and homeless people fighting over discarded aluminum cans. Every stop light was a new adventure...It was so scary that my wife didn't want to even venture out on Vancouver's downtown streets after dark!

Of course we found the downtown area to be very safe and full of sights, shopping, great restaurants and activities. Stanley Park was beautiful, even with the storm damage.

LL

Arriving on May 4, 2007 on the Vision of the Seas, put us in Vancouver on a very bad day for taxi availability. As reported on this site, a shortage of taxis due to 4 ships arriving on the same day caused quite a few delays. Since I was traveling very light and was able to use the Express Disembarkation offered by RCI, I beat the rush. I was a bit under the weather so I took advantage of the C$12 shuttle to the Vancouver Aiport offered at the Ballentyne Pier (paid on arrival). From what I remember, that was 1/2 the price as what RCI was offereing onboard. Not as good as the municipal bus to the airport (under C$4), but, much easier considering my state. Thanks again for all of your help.

Archived