drive anchorage to whittier

xcomet

yes, many times. Takes about 1 1/4 hour without stops, which I suggest you add time for. You go right by the Portage Glacier Visitor center, add time for that stop. The tunnel opens on the half hour for 15 min. you do need to get in a staging line, $12 toll.

We are going out of Whittier and have a rental car via Anchorage. Hubby was going to drive us (5 persons total) down, drop us off, drive back to Anchorage to catch a Princess shuttle back to boat. (He doesn't mind the driving/traveling) I really was looking into a one way drop off in Whittier. I hear there is only one car rental place there and the one way fee is VERY high. True?? We are already renting the car for 5 days prior to the cruise for Denali etc. I looked at the railroad, but they have you leaving at 10 am and to Whittier by like 2:30. The ship doesn't leave until 9 PM. Suggestions? Have I looked at all the possibilities, or can someone offer any other help?? WE forsure are taking our time (all we can afford) to see sights on the way from Anchorage to Whittier.

We are going out of Whittier and have a rental car via Anchorage. Hubby was going to drive us (5 persons total) down, drop us off, drive back to Anchorage to catch a Princess shuttle back to boat. (He doesn't mind the driving/traveling) I really was looking into a one way drop off in Whittier. I hear there is only one car rental place there and the one way fee is VERY high. True?? We are already renting the car for 5 days prior to the cruise for Denali etc. I looked at the railroad, but they have you leaving at 10 am and to Whittier by like 2:30. The ship doesn't leave until 9 PM. Suggestions? Have I looked at all the possibilities, or can someone offer any other help?? WE forsure are taking our time (all we can afford) to see sights on the way from Anchorage to Whittier.

Actually, I just booked the train today and it leaves Anchorage at 10:00 a.m. and gets to Whittier at 12:29 p.m. With a 9:00 p.m. sailing; that gives us plenty of time to take a four-hour glacier cruise (http://www.princewilliamsound.com) at 1:30. Then we'll board around 6:00 p.m.

I looked into doing a car rental a couple of months ago, and I think the drop off fee was $100.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

I know that people constantly complain about the cost of a car rental, but in a lot of cases it certainly is an excellent option and may be the best use of time. At $100- how much is your vacation worth??? I've driven one way to Seward and never regretted the costs. It allowed me wonderful touring.

The same can be said for Whittier, if it allows you some interesting touring during the day- which is an endless list, and getting through the 6:30pm tunnel and on to the ship. It may certainly be well worth the cost and convenience. Consider what you wish to do that sailing day and if you want to take advantage of some extra touring???

I have toyed with that option...one way rental. Hubby's transfer is $75 anyways..so with me it is a wash. All said and done the full size rental one way from Anch. to Whittier is $89 with taxes and one way fees=$229.02 from Avis. WE do plan on touring the arm at a liesurly pace on the way south. Thanks for your opinions.

Archived