Southwest Check In Luggage Questions??

isujim

Ok SW experts here is my dilema

We sail out of Baltimore in September. When we get back due to some great airfare rates we were able to book our return flight to OKC for $79....the downside is the plane doesn't leave until 5:45pm

Can I check luggage say at 10am and then leave the airport? Do you have to stay with your checked luggage at the airport once it is checked even though it is taken away?

Someone told me you can't check luggage with SW until 4 hours prior to your flight????

Just trying to avoid staying at the airport (without lugging 6 pieces of luggage around) for 8 hours or more........

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Someone told me you can't check luggage with SW until 4 hours prior to your flight?

This person appears to be correct. From Southwest's Contract of Carriage (page 22): Carrier will accept baggage for checking from a fare-paying passenger when tendered to Carrier no earlier than four (4) hours in advance of flight departure time

No SW expert here. But a frequent flier. Often times, it is the airport that dictates how early you can check in luggage. LAX is not allowing any luggage check in for any flight earlier than 4 hours, UNLESS it is an international flight. I found this out the hard way a couple months ago. I frequently fly LAX/NYC. Always was able to dump off the luggage early. Not now.

There just isn't enough storage space at LAX for extra luggage.

Call SW and ask about Baltimore. That should answer part of your question.

That said, IF you have to keep your luggage, how about a Priceline or other discount rental car for the day? Rental cars can be really cheap on a weekend day at an airport, especially after summer.

Would allow you some freedom to go out and sightsee, plus luggage storage taken care of. Beats the heck out of sitting at the airport all day "babysitting" the luggage.

Archived