Best time of year to visit Alaska

Costafox

I am looking to visit Alaska next year and am unable to decide if I would be better off going early May or mid September. Any opinions?

Both times you have posted can have bad weather. Early May, lots of things will not be open or will be limited. After September 15, it can get downright cold. And is usually pretty rainy.

If you are trying to save some money, look at the first week in September. Usually discounted, as families must get the kids back in school. The weather is generally pretty good and the fall scenery is spectacular.

Enjoy!!!

We have traveled in May for many years, this will be our 9 th cruise to Alaska. Though not all in May. It has not been that cold or rainy. Each year brings different changes so we are looking forward to what we will experience this May. It must be a popular time to travel to Alaska as the ships are always full. We have found that most tours are available and the shops in the ports are open. I think that it depends on the person's expectations, for us we will continue to travel in May and enjoy our time there.:)

We have traveled in May for many years, this will be our 9 th cruise to Alaska. Though not all in May. It has not been that cold or rainy. Each year brings different changes so we are looking forward to what we will experience this May. It must be a popular time to travel to Alaska as the ships are always full. We have found that most tours are available and the shops in the ports are open. I think that it depends on the person's expectations, for us we will continue to travel in May and enjoy our time there.:)

I'm thinking of taking DH to Alaska next year as a birthday gift (the big 3-0!). I work full time and have also gone back for another advanced degree, so I'm in school year-round as well. Looking at the 2008 season, the only trip that fits into my schedule is in mid/late May, so it's nice to know that that is a decent time to go. I know it won't be as warm as June or July, but we're not going to Alaska to be warm, we're going to see the sights!

They are referring to EARLY May, and most certainly can have horrific weather. I sailed the first week last year. Stuff not open, 6 out of 7 days of rain. It makes a BIG difference to consider the second and later weeks.

And actually, there is plenty of space left for sailing this year and ships are not "always full". I just got an email today for at least 15 Alaska cruise ship deals, just about every week Sapphire Princess until Sept., Carnival Princess, Celebrity Summit, NCL, HAL etc. If you want to go this year, you certainly can. :)

I'm thinking of taking DH to Alaska next year as a birthday gift (the big 3-0!). I work full time and have also gone back for another advanced degree, so I'm in school year-round as well. Looking at the 2008 season, the only trip that fits into my schedule is in mid/late May, so it's nice to know that that is a decent time to go. I know it won't be as warm as June or July, but we're not going to Alaska to be warm, we're going to see the sights!

This is a fantastic time to go. :) But if considering a one way, best is northbound if you have any interior Alaska plans for Denali Park.

Archived