Unfairness About

Wadadli1

I am both insulted and injured. In the past hour not only did a new message board appear for Azamara Cruises (refurbished R-class ships, owned by Celebrity who is owned by RCCL), but it also gets its own Roll Call section! Not even sailing yet! I'd never heard of it before--one of my boys asked me if I'd heard of it just moments before this happened. A strange coincidence, but not a happy one.

Surely Cunard merits its own section, and Costa, for that matter. I am shocked and dismayed, as well. Feels like some are more equal than others.

I am both insulted and injured. In the past hour not only did a new message board appear for Azamara Cruises (refurbished R-class ships, owned by Celebrity who is owned by RCCL), but it also gets its own Roll Call section! Not even sailing yet! I'd never heard of it before--one of my boys asked me if I'd heard of it just moments before this happened. A strange coincidence, but not a happy one.

Surely Cunard merits its own section, and Costa, for that matter. I am shocked and dismayed, as well. Feels like some are more equal than others.

Those that PAY the mnoney get the boards those that don't don't. OK CC prove me wrong.

I am both insulted and injured.

perhaps you should consult a lawyer:rolleyes:

Tom

I will have to wait until Matthew returns from his trip with the Mothers. By then he will be properly riled up and ready for a fight. ;)

Azamara got its own roll call board right away because both ships already had their own roll call boards as Celebrity ships. It was just a matter of changing the name of those boards - they were already there.

I asked for a Cunard Roll Call board a while ago, but it will be a big undertaking so it will take a while. (It will require finding all the Cunard threads on the "Other Cruise Lines" Roll Call forum and moving them to the new forum... Not a small task.)

I will keep nagging The Management until they give me what I want, but please be patient ;) ...

Angela, since the Azamara Cruiseline was just announced today someone has worked really quickly to get them their own roll call section.

Questions for Host Doug or Carolyn:

1. Are all the roll calls going to be moved off the main Cunard Forum? Right now it seems strange that some roll calls have been moved and others have not. It also seems strange that there is no announcment about moving them.

2. Why does Cunard not have their own roll call section? It seems if Cunard had their own roll call section with a link for each ship, it would make finding a roll call much easier.

Beth

Azamara got its own roll call board right away because both ships already had their own roll call boards as Celebrity ships. It was just a matter of changing the name of those boards - they were already there.

I asked for a Cunard Roll Call board a while ago, but it will be a big undertaking so it will take a while. (It will require finding all the Cunard threads on the "Other Cruise Lines" Roll Call forum and moving them to the new forum... Not a small task.)

I will keep nagging The Management until they give me what I want, but please be patient ;) ...

Thank you, Doug. Knowing that you are trying helps with the patience issue. So thanks again. :)

Angela, since the Azamara Cruiseline was just announced today someone has worked really quickly to get them their own roll call section.

1. Are all the roll calls going to be moved off the main Cunard Forum? Right now it seems strange that some roll calls have been moved and others have not. It also seems strange that there is no announcment about moving them.

2. Why does Cunard not have their own roll call section? It seems if Cunard had their own roll call section with a link for each ship, it would make finding a roll call much easier.

Beth

Doug answered your questions about the Roll Call situation a few messages above. But not about the strange no-announcing. That was just a strange bit of business, yes? And not helpful at all.

Doug, evidently you and I were posting at the same time. I did not see your post until after mine was submitted. However, I hope you will still answer question #1 in my first post.

Thanks.

Beth

First, I think you mean Laura - Carolyn is not a boards person :) .

Anyhow, yes, I am moving all the Roll Call threads to the roll call forum because this is where the Roll Call threads belong. Ever since the Roll Call forums were created they were intended as the home for all Roll Call threads.

In the past I had mostly overlooked this because I know most people (in my unscientific experience) seem to prefer them to be here, but as it now seems that we are to the point where a majority of the threads that had new posts were Roll Call threads... Basically, they were "taking over" the Cunard board and I just couldn't leave them here any longer.

Also, there are already many roll call threads on the roll call boards, and having them both here and on the roll call boards is confusing. They all need to be in one place.

The only reason some have not been moved is that they haven't had new posts since I started moving threads yesterday, and I don't usually look at threads that don't have new posts (unless someone specifically asks me to).

2. Why does Cunard not have their own roll call section?

Originally, only the "big six" lines had their own Roll Call forums... That is, Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean. I can only presumed that the others were deemed small enough to belong in the "other" forum.

Oceania and P&O have since had their own forums created due to the volume of posts, and I am trying to get Cunard one as well but as I said above, it will take a while as it is not something that can just be done overnight.

Doug,

That is all very well for threads that are simple roll calls. However some quickly turn into general discussions, either for groups with a common interest (WCC) or just lunatics (the thousand odd post thread).

Also, and this point goes particularly to the Norwegian thread you moved, they were stuffed full of good stuff that deserves to be on general access.

Perhaps I have a vested interest, in that I have posted a lot of stuff on Norway - some of it comparing and contrasting Cunard and Hurtigruten - and much of that has little if any relevance to a specific cruise, but a lot of relevance to someone wanting to visit Norway, especially on a Cunarder.

Possibly 80% of the stuff isn't as important - although it is annoying to say the least - but that 20% makes a difference.

Is there any reason for this board going on in the way that makes us happy? Have you had any complaints from those who post here? Is it a diktat from on high?

I'll let the argument fester over the next week, and see what has developed by my return on Friday.

Best wishes to one and all

Matthew

I do understand that there is a great deal on some threads that may not necessarily pertain to a specific cruise... However, if the main purpose of a thread is to discuss a specific cruise, then it is for all intents and purposes a Roll Call and it does belong in the Roll Call forums.

As I said, in the past I may have overlooked some Roll Call threads in the main boards but in the past few days it has seemed that a huge percentage of the threads with new posts have been Roll Call threads. Basically, there have been too many of them for me to ignore.

Part of the problem with having Roll Call threads on the main forums is that discussion that does not pertain to a specific cruise may wind up on that Roll Call thread anyway, and not be seen by people who would otherwise be interested, because they may not click on a thread whose topic states that it is about a particular cruise they aren't going in. This is part of the reason that Roll Call threads have their own separate forum. In the future I would suggest that if you feel something is of interest to others beyond those on a particular voyage, you do not post it on a thread whose main topic is that particular voyage itself.

Nevertheless, virtually all Roll Call threads do have some information that may be of interest to those other than those on that particular cruise... This is simply the way things work and we cannot control exactly what is said on every thread. Conversations drift in different directions sometimes, as we all know.

I do accept that many would prefer that the Roll Call threads be left on the main boards but the Roll Call forums were created a while ago for a reason. Sometimes the rules may be you know what happens if something is bent too far ;) ...

If you have any further thoughts or questions on this topic please e-mail hostdoug at cruisecritic dot com or community at cruisecritic dot com. Thank you.

Archived