Just Back from Brilliance April 16th Transatlantic

Shelia thank you for providing this thread..........nice to get the facts.........

Boy I see a lot of old familiar "faces";)

Thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks for posting. We are doing the TA on Brilliance next Apr and were just discussing whether to change from our Balcony room to an OV room. After reading your post decided to keep the Balc. Hope our weather is as good as your. Of course we will probably have a more northern route since our first stop is Bermuda then Cork.

I love the Brilliance. Do you know who were the bartenders in the Schooner Bar? That is one of our favorite hangouts and we sure ejoyed Eric last time on Brilliance. Also do you remember the name of the piano player in the Schooner Bar?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sue.......I can relate to the weight gain comment too! We try to counter calorie intake by walking stairs but once in a while the knees just scream at me!

The food was all great. About halfway through the cruise we ( our wonderful and fun table group) discovered that the Windjammer was doing sushi ( nothing raw....all cooked but good!). We all played hooky from the dining room and just went up there and did a smorgasboard meal....lots of fun, and the place wasn't even busy!

Trivia became quite the competition! With a number of sea days together, we had the same core group most of the time and new folks kept joining in. It was a nice way to meet our fellow cruisers.

There was a destination lecturer onboard and we did go to afew of the talks. They also offered dance classes which we didn't do, but it appeared that the instructors were quite good and the classes were very crowded.

Someone mentioned that we had a large group onboard who had some obnoxious members.....we find that there is always someone on a cruise that you tend to avoid once you know who they are. In fact, some members of that group even avoided their fellow travelers!

LMack, We're on the December westbound T\A with you.......We flew back from Barcelona after a two day extended stay. The flight in either direction is always long but we were on Air France through Paris this time and managed to make the connections although it was tight.

We did the hotel through RCCL since they also take care of transfers, however, now that we have been to Barcelona several times, we will probably do our own arrangements the next time we cruise to or from there.

If you haven't been to Barcelona, let me say that it's a wonderful city to visit! We were blessed with great weather for both days and spent a lot of time in the Las Ramblas and Barri Gotic area the first day . The Boqueria Market is a site to see! We had been to Casa Mila on a previous visit so we were familiar with Gaudi and his work. This time we went to La Sagrada Familia and did the inside tour ( it's unfinished but the tour includes the museum and a view of the inside).

Hi Judy (jebl) we're neighbors.....or close anyway!

Actually I am just over the line into Bonita. West on Coconut and South on Spring Creek.

Pete Thompson was the piano man in the Schooner Bar on our trip.

Thanks, I haven't heard him. Was he good?

When did the post cruise stays and the shore excursions show up on the RCI website? I have checked for our cruise and there is nothing up yet. Wondering how far out they appear.

I've enjoyed reading all the lovely comments about your cruise. Just wondering if anybody has some time to answer some queries:-

What time is 1st dinner seating?

What acts/speakers/entertainers are on the ship at present?

Did anyone get to go on the cable cars in Barcelona? Can you get from the Marina right up to the Park Montjuic?

Have they changed the menu in the Seaview? Someone said all they do now is pizza and pasta - no more fish & chips or onion rings? Is that right?!

Where is the best place to get a draught pint of lager on board? What ones do they serve - Heineken, any European beers, American beers??

We can't wait to go now!! If anyone has any pictures of the cabins with the new bedding I'd love to see some!

Thanks,

I did a TA on the Jewel last April and loved her...I am going on the Radiance in Sept to Hawaii....I know the Brilliance is a sister ship and was wondering what you enjoyed the most on her?

Carol, We were on Jewel in Jan and have been on Radiance too. I just really enjoy this class of ship. The over-all lay-out and the public spaces are well thought out and convenient not to mention attractive, each in it's own way.

We were on this wonderful cruise too (hi Sheila and Sandy!) We had the BEST time. Home a week now and still can't think of a single negative:) CC friends fantastic' date=' ship gorgeous, sea days which we love, Seville during fiesta, so many lovely memories (ok the 6 pounds I put on is a negative;)

Sue

ROFLMAO You have the best sense of humor. I hope we get to sail together again. Love to Steve.

Shiela--So nice to see such a positive thread. We're planning our first TA next year, Harwich to Boston on the Jewel. Have you ever done that route?

On a side note...Martha...Congratulations to you and Josh! How exciting, your dedication paid off. :) :D

Thank you (blush,blush) for your kind words. I've never done that TA. This was our first. I'd love to do another so maybe one out from England would be in the works some day.

BTW I'm also very happy for Josh and Aunt Martha.

Shelia thank you for providing this thread..........nice to get the facts.........

Boy I see a lot of old familiar "faces";)

Thanks again for taking the time.

Hi Prez, Great to talk to you. I miss my morning coffee. Thanks for the support.

Thanks for posting. We are doing the TA on Brilliance next Apr and were just discussing whether to change from our Balcony room to an OV room. After reading your post decided to keep the Balc. Hope our weather is as good as your. Of course we will probably have a more northern route since our first stop is Bermuda then Cork.

I love the Brilliance. Do you know who were the bartenders in the Schooner Bar? That is one of our favorite hangouts and we sure ejoyed Eric last time on Brilliance. Also do you remember the name of the piano player in the Schooner Bar?

Thanks in advance.

The piano man was Pete Thompson and he was very good. He had a good crowd most nights. I'm sorry I don't know the bar tender's name but he was very nice during our Trivia games in the morning.

Sorry didn't see Sandy's post.

I've enjoyed reading all the lovely comments about your cruise. Just wondering if anybody has some time to answer some queries:-

What time is 1st dinner seating?

I believe it was 6pm and I believe they did 6.30 for the upper level diners.

What acts/speakers/entertainers are on the ship at present?

They change frequently but we had Tango Buenos Aires, Lance Ringold (Olympic Gymnast) JJ Downs, Tommy Bond, A Magician, A plate spinner, A Celine Dion tribute show, 2 Production Shows,a few others I can't remember at the moment.

Did anyone get to go on the cable cars in Barcelona? Can you get from the Marina right up to the Park Montjuic?

Sorry don't know. Anyone????

Have they changed the menu in the Seaview? Someone said all they do now is pizza and pasta - no more fish & chips or onion rings? Is that right?!

We didn't eat there but my friends did and I believe it was Pizza nd Pasta

Where is the best place to get a draught pint of lager on board? What ones do they serve - Heineken, any European beers, American beers??

Sorry I don't do beer. Anyone????

We can't wait to go now!! If anyone has any pictures of the cabins with the new bedding I'd love to see some!

Thanks,

Hope this helps

Wow Fran, That's a tall order your giving me.

1. Captain Lindegran is tall and thin not bad looking. I'll try to post a pic later . He seems very nice, quiet, very polite. I must say that after the change over, my friend and I went to the captain's talk just so we could see what you swoon over and take pics for you. Toby did too. I agree he's handsome and has a wonderful speaking voice. His personality is just different from Captain Lindegran and he was very funny when he talked about the fact that he missed the ship.

2. The shows were good for the most part. As a matter of taste, some were better for me than others. The production shows IMHO were very good indeed.

3. Toby and I had a ball. Every time I saw her she was enjoying herself.

4. Can't say I notice the carpet in the Schooner Bar.

5. As to what we did. We read, slept, ate, slept, ate, napped, ate, drank, played Trivia, drank, ate, slept and then we got to the Azores and from then on we toured all the beautiful cities and drank it all in.

SHRIEK!!!!!!! Piccies!!! Oh yay!!!!

I have already told Wolfcathorse, since she doubted my word :D. He does have quite an interesting, and somewhat dry sense of humour, I think. Toby didn't say she had photos, but she was posting in rather a hurry from work..I want to meet Toby, I hope we can cruise together sometime.

I was just kidding about the Schooner Bar and some of the other stuff - but you said ask questions, so I tried to drum up a few. You answered the important questions:D:D.

Your crossing sounds like ours was. Every time we sat down or lay down we fell asleep, got up to eat, slept, read, watched TV, ate, went to the shows, slept....some people have said the old beds were no good. I couldn't figure that out, they were pretty comfy to me....

And now I shall await photos for my screensaver collection......

Fran

SHRIEK!!!!!!! Piccies!!! Oh yay!!!!

I have already told Wolfcathorse, since she doubted my word :D. He does have quite an interesting, and somewhat dry sense of humour, I think. Toby didn't say she had photos, but she was posting in rather a hurry from work..I want to meet Toby, I hope we can cruise together sometime.

I

And now I shall await photos for my screensaver collection......

Fran

Fran, granted this is not the best picture but I think he was really nice looking.

6f7v0h1.jpg

I notice in your signature that you're sailing back on the Brilliance in Dec. You will be sailing with some good friends we made who sailed over with us and you'll love the ship. Quite a few folks we met said they would be on the repo back.

We're also on that one with TravelTeam, and will probably have Captain Lindegren, which is why I asked....

Fran in Toronto

Fran, granted this is not the best picture but I think he was really nice looking.

You're right, he is quite nice-looking.....into the Captains Album he goes.

ty, Sue L.

Awaiting piccies of Petter......

Fran in Toronto

Makes me want to make a final payment and print my Set Sail Pass!! :D

LL

You are so right LL, makes me want to book a TA right now!

Sheila, great job. I feel the whole TA experience through your postings. Guess I'll get have my own experience next April even though it won't be on Brilliance. Everything seemed to work itself out and everyone (well, almost) had a wonderful time.

It's postings like this they will entice those that have never done a TA, to book one.

I'm glad you decided to bring up the TA's because I don't see threads on them very often. I've been considering taking one for some time now with my fiance for a late honeymoon either next Spring or Fall. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

In your experience, do you think that TA's end up costing less than a regular 12 day European cruise, or does the cost of an open-jaw air fare make it about the same?

I'm 25 and my fiance is 30. We can get along with anybody....we're very easygoing and tend to make lots of friends regardless of age, but do you think there will be anyone our age on a TA?

Was the Vortex Disco ever packed or was it dead most nights? I wouldn't mind hanging out in the Schooner Bar all week but I DO like going to the night club every now and then :D

Thanks for your help!

Laura

Carol, We were on Jewel in Jan and have been on Radiance too. I just really enjoy this class of ship. The over-all lay-out and the public spaces are well thought out and convenient not to mention attractive, each in it's own way.

I think that they are the most perfect sized ship. I must say that the smaller ones are nice, but they don't offer all the extras you find on the Radiance Class, and the Explorer Class intimidates me with the huge size...I don't need to have an ice skating rink when I sail!

Archived