Suggestions for Cabo, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta

ajaxgalca

We're getting excited for our July cruise - would appreciate any suggestions - other than the ship excursions - on what to do at these 3 ports. We would rather be on the beach than on a tour - - your help is appreciated for where to hang out!

Google "yelapa" to find out more about a nice secluded beach area near PV. It is only accessible by boat, about 40 minute ride. Very scenic with a nice beach, couple of restaurants, a pretty waterfall. Taxis go from the pier in PV. In Feb '06 DW and I paid approximately $20 round trip. Nice and relaxing beach time away from the crowds.

And of course in Cabo... Lovers beach gets my vote... easy access by water taxi. However, there are NO restrooms and consessions... but a beautiful beach thats quiet and away from the crowds.. good snorkeling there as well..

So if your looking for a nice beach and to save a few bucks... this is my pick in Cabo.

In PV, we did the Los Veranos Canopy Tour. It was great. Even our 6yo dd had a blast. She keeps saying it was her favorite thing on the trip. Since we had so much time in PV, we spent some time walking on the Malecon. The statues and sand creations were just beautiful. I've heard good things about hanging out at either the Krystal Resort or the Westin although we didn't do this.

In Mazatlan, we took a taxi to El Cid. We spent most of the day hanging out at their pool. Later, we took a walk along the beach before heading back to the ship. It was a great, relaxing day.

In Cabo, we walked to the Melia on Medano Beach. It's somewhat of a hike so I'd suggest taking a water taxi. We found heaven on earth sitting on one of their white bed-like loungers surveying the beach. I don't think I've ever been that relaxed. It was a perfect day.

Everything we did was perfect for us. It really was a great balance of activity/relaxation.

I've posted a few of my photos here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/linda_fl_g8r/album?.dir=2dfbscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/linda_fl_g8r/my_photos

Linda

I second a couple of the previous posters.

In Mazatlan, go to Stone Island, spend a nice relaxing day at Victors, or do Randi's Happy Horses if you like horseback riding (note the picture of my daughter on the horse was NOT from Randi's, and if I am lucky enough to go back there, I will definitely do Randi's next time). They have other activities available on the beach there, so you can do as little or as much as you want to do. The first two pictures below are from Stone Island.

In Cabo, the Melia Hotel was really breathtakingly beautiful! They did not charge us ANYTHING to be there and use their facilities other than buying drinks - and they had a 2 for 1 special from 11:00 to 1:00. The drinks weren't cheap but they were strong. My DH gave them his Driver's License as a deposit for two towels for the day, so we didn't even need our ship towels. If you like hanging out at the beach, DON'T MISS the Melia San Lucas. Wow! The last 3 pictures below are from the Melia, and don't do the place justice.

1078607377_stoneisland1.jpg.59eaa02cc32e75e96dc86939a7c576b7.jpg

879733873_stoneisland2.jpg.620fd80a407285b8ccc4975ed3f2604d.jpg

Melia.jpg.4c707c1fdb8adacc89ab05bface5be43.jpg

Melia2.jpg.0c4b5ac1cf7e029dd352081748435c0c.jpg

Melia3.jpg.ae3212d75e29c9235f1b0be743f37d58.jpg

Medano Beach is Cabo's only swimmable beach. We like to go to Billygan's, about a mile walk from the tender port, or hop a water taxi for about $10 or land taxi for about the same. Once there, ask the waiter for beach chairs and umbrella, if you want one, (bring your own towel) they're free as long as you purchase drinks and/or food. The margaritas are delicious as are the shrimp and fish tacos. Word of caution: Happy hour is from noon-7pm, and applies to local drinks, not soft drinks, so if two of you order a margarita or beer each, you'll get 4! We had quite a buzz going after just a couple. While there, the crazy drinking contest goes on two doors down at the Mango Deck, it's quite a spectacle, and for the under 25 set. If you want parasailing, jet skis or banana boat rides, you can book it right next door & pay cash. Dollars are readily accepted. Billygans does take credit cards. All of Cabo's beaches are public, and you can plop yourself down in the sand anywhere along Medano Beach, if you want a more calm atmosphere. Beach vendors are everywhere, just a polite "No Gracias" will shoo them away.

I just found a canopy tour that will be operating beginning June 2007 in Cabo San Lucas. It's thru Cabo Adventures. We've been wanting to try this for a while. Has anyone used these folks for other tours/excursions??

Cool. I hadn't heard about this. It will be a totally different feel than doing the ones in Puerto Vallarta, going over river canyons and desert instead of jungle. http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Xtreme-Canopy-Tour.htm

We have sailed the Mexican Riviera twice and we are booked for our third. We have done Los Veranos twice and Randi's twice. We are booked for Randi's for a 3rd time. We can't imagine going to Mazatlan and not visiting with Randi. If you don't want to ride, just get to Stone Island and hang out at Victor's. The food is fantastic!

We have also toured with Frank in Mazatlan - it was a wonderful afternoon.

For our next visits are are planning:

PV - either a dolphin swim or an ATV excursion. Finish off the day at the Krystal - 4-hands massage for myself, while DH & DD hang out at the pool/beach.

Mazatlan - Randi Randi Randi!

Cabo - we plan to head over to Medano Beach for the day. I really want to parasail too. And then we will walk around town a bit.

Just got back from the Pride on May 20th. In Mazatlan, we did Randi's Happy Horses and had a wonderful time. I have always dreamed of horseback riding on the beach and this certainly fulfilled that dream. And lunch at Victor's on the beach (Stone Island) was delicious. Yummy garlic shrimp and coconut shrimp! It was unbelievable...after horseback riding on the unspoiled beach, sitting back in a chair with my toes in the sand eating shrimp, sharing stories and laughs with my Cruise Critic buddies..then a quick romp in the surf. Life at that moment was absolutely perfect! We enjoyed this excursion far more than those we booked through the ship, and it was only $45.00! (Victor's prices were very reasonable, too.) Know what? Randi's horses weren't the only "happy" ones that day!

:)

Yelapa is a good place for beach. There's no cars and they finally got electricity five years ago. The villege so far resisted the governments offer to build a road from Vallerta. The only access is by water taxi from Los Arcos or Los Muertos. You can either get off the water taxi at the town pier to hike up to the water fall (not much), or stay on to the beach. The pier by the Hotel Lagunita was destroyed by a hurricane a few years ago, hasn't been rebuilt, therefore it's wet landing.

There are a few restaurants and they all have beach chairs you can use. The restaurants are all good. Fishermen come in around seven in the morning. We've stayed at the Hotel Lagunitas a few times. We used to walk over there to see what's for lunch that day because all the beach restaurants bought the day's fish from the fishermen. Everything is clean.

There's a nice walk up river, or you can wade accross to go to the main village. If the moon isn't full, there's snorkeling along the hotel - not much, though. If it's full moon, then the waves are too high and water gets murkey.

Save room for the "pie lady". Unbelievably good!

We took a tour through Vallarta Adventures while in Peurto Vallarta. It was for the Marietas Island (sp?), whale watching, snorlking and then to a private beach for the best 10' high waves I've ever seen. That was probably one of the best shore excursions we've ever done. Book online as it is much cheaper than through the cruise lines. In Mazatlan we did Randi's Happy Horses and were very happy. The staff were FANTASTIC and the people at Victors where we had lunch with Randi after the ride were great, and it's right on the beach again. In Cabo we did some whale watching again but wouldn't reccoment it. I would have rather just spent the day either wandering or going to lovers beach as suggested.

Attached is a link to our Mexican Riviera Cruise. It's a huge album but you're welcome to browse. There are pics from all of the above mentioned excursions.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pmdugas?vhost=community

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Peter

In PV, we did the Los Veranos Canopy Tour. It was great. Even our 6yo dd had a blast. She keeps saying it was her favorite thing on the trip. Since we had so much time in PV, we spent some time walking on the Malecon. The statues and sand creations were just beautiful. I've heard good things about hanging out at either the Krystal Resort or the Westin although we didn't do this.

In Mazatlan, we took a taxi to El Cid. We spent most of the day hanging out at their pool. Later, we took a walk along the beach before heading back to the ship. It was a great, relaxing day.

In Cabo, we walked to the Melia on Medano Beach. It's somewhat of a hike so I'd suggest taking a water taxi. We found heaven on earth sitting on one of their white bed-like loungers surveying the beach. I don't think I've ever been that relaxed. It was a perfect day.

Everything we did was perfect for us. It really was a great balance of activity/relaxation.

I've posted a few of my photos here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/linda_fl_g8r/album?.dir=2dfbscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/linda_fl_g8r/my_photos

Linda

Linda About your quote you mention that you spend the day in the pool of the el cid hotel, how does this works does they charge you for using there facilities? or in the westin in el cabo?

thanks.

In Mazatlan, when we got off of the ship, there were several people trying to talk us into timeshare presentations. We declined all of them. We just took one of the open air taxis and asked to go to El Cid. The taxi driver dropped us off in front and we walked in through the lobby to the pool. We found a beautiful spot by the pool. We bought a couple of drinks and spent most of the day there. There was no charge for use of the facilities. I know they were aware we were from the ship as we had our Carnival towels with us. They seemed to welcome the business. We walked down the beach for about an hour before hailing a taxi and heading back to the ship. It was a great relaxing day.

In Cabo, the Melia had no charge for use of their facilities. There was a little shack by the pool that loaned us two towels at no charge. I just gave them my driver's license until I returned the towels. Again, we ordered a couple of drinks to enjoy while lounging on the beach. I really loved the big white beds for lounging. They were oh-so-comfortable. They had a roped off area which kept the vendors at bay. The vendors would walk up to the rope and call out to see if you were interested in their wares. A simple "no thanks" sent them on their way. My dh referred to it as "The Cabo Shopping Network".

It was a little bit of a trek, but we actually walked from the pier to the Melia. I would say it took us about 20 to 30 minutes to get there. I've heard the easiest way to get there is by water taxi.

I hope you guys have a wonderful trip. I have fond memories of my time in Mexico.

Linda

When we arrived in Mazatlan we were told about a one hour time share at the El Cid. They offered to transport us there and back to the ship and added the enticement of free gifts. So, we headed on over and it was just an hour, we said no thank you and they sent us over to the El Cid Hotel a little ways back toward the ship. When we arrived at the hotel we were given arm bands that paid for all of our drinks and lunch for each of us. They asked that we tip and the use of the property for the day was ours. We don't drink alcohol but those that did had free drinks for the day. Now, we never saw any free gifts but we had transportation, lunch and drinks for free, that was our cheapest port day. We tried it again in PV but it was a bust and we couldn't get away from them. So, try it in Mazatlan but not in PV:D Kris

You will most likely have hot & humid weather. Your time on the ship should be nice pool weather, with the ports being much warmer. Your last sea day back will most likely be cool & windy, so pack a sweatshirt or light jacket if you want to spend time on deck that day. Enjoy your cruise! We love the Pride!

ColoG8R,

Thanks for the information about El Cid and the Melia.:)

My cruise is a couple of months away, but I am sure we will have a good time in Mexico.

Archived