cruise ship vs liner

Sunnystone

She looks like a proper ship:p with no balconies - built for getting people from one place to another rather than cruising where you normally return to the same place.

And just what's wrong with balconies? I suppose a half century ago, a poster (if the internet and cruise critic had existed then) might have said, " She looks like a proper ship. No bathrooms inside the stateroom, and four bunk beds to a room."

Make up your mind, Malcolm,

Do you want elegance and luxury to define a ship or utilitarianism?

Perhaps you need to go back to ferries with hard plastic seats, common bathrooms, no place to sleep or put luggage, except around you. Those are meant for getting people from place to place. Or maybe a cargo ship would be best for you. While it might not be the most efficient means of getting where YOU'RE going, (as compared to the cargo) it is as utilitarian as it gets!

Personally. I prefer a balcony. Which is one of the things which has put me off the QE2 in past considerations. I am not particularly in need of "getting from one place to another." I wish to enjoy the "getting there" Or even the "going nowhere" or perhaps "going somewhere, or a few somewheres and returning." And I want to enjoy getting there. i don't want to feel like I am cooped up in a chicken coop with no fresh air unless I join the teeming masses. There is nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy the fresh sea air, and the beautiful calming sight of the ocean, while being comfortable and not "on public display" Why, if I were on the QE2, with a non-balcony cabin, and wanted to take in the sea air after dinner, but wished to not worry about proper decorum of having my skirts blown about, or sea spray ruining my expensive gown and shoes, I would be SOL- (Sure out of luck <G>) After all, I can't appear outside of my stateroom in the dreaded pants, or God forbid, the "J" word! :eek: in the evening, and only the absolute top class (or wealthiest, or willing to spend the most money, if you prefer) get the privilege of a private balcony! (in those dreaded plopped on boxes on the top deck)

Karie,

who is feeling rather cross about Malcolm seeming to denigrate her preferred mode of travel and comfort and enjoyment!

Geez, relax! :rolleyes:

Do you want elegance and luxury to define a ship or utilitarianism?

Both do, or did, on all the great liners.

Perhaps you need to go back to ferries with hard plastic seats, common bathrooms, no place to sleep or put luggage, except around you. Those are meant for getting people from place to place.

And so were these ferries meant for getting people from place to place:

Olympic, Mauretania, Aquitania, Normandy, Ile de France, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth...

Elegance, luxury, AND utilitarianism.

Ocean liners in name, ferries in practise.

And so were these ferries meant for getting people from place to place:

Olympic, Mauretania, Aquitania, Normandy, Ile de France, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth...

Elegance, luxury, AND utilitarianism.

Ocean liners in name, ferries in practise.

Ah, Kyle!

you know I'm just trying to tweak Malcolm. He's such a snob about some things! As though balconies instantly make the ship part of the carnival fleet! Oh! That's right! She is! I mean the QE2, that is! :eek:

Malcolm simply doesn't realize the affect of how he says things. It really does sound like a put-down of anyone who loves balconies! So I just give back some of the same medicine by pointing out the folly of his argument!

Karie,

who should either be house-cleaning or out enjoying a gorgeous day, one or the other!

And just what's wrong with balconies?

..... who is feeling rather cross about Malcolm seeming to denigrate her preferred mode of travel and comfort and enjoyment!

Kyle - just what I was thinking, and then

You know I'm just trying to tweak Malcolm ..... As though balconies instantly make the ship part of the carnival fleet!

Malcolm simply doesn't realize the affect of how he says things. It really does sound like a put-down of anyone who loves balconies!

OK Karie - what I mean is that a lot of ships today are (or at least appear to be) all balconies and very little open deck. Personally I prefer the look of a ship that looks like a ship and not a floating block of flats. As my comment was only a flippant remark on the main visible difference between the MS Britanis and a generic modern cruise ship I don't really see why it's caused you such upset:)

OK Karie - what I mean is that a lot of ships today are (or at least appear to be) all balconies and very little open deck. Personally I prefer the look of a ship that looks like a ship and not a floating block of flats. As my comment was only a flippant remark on the main visible difference between the MS Britanis and a generic modern cruise ship I don't really see why it's caused you such upset:)

Why, Malcolm! Because I'm not presently ON such a ship! (the one with the balconies, of course!)

Oh, Kiss,kiss, smooch,smooch, hug,hug! (like a brother, of course!)

Alright! you are forgiven!

Karie,

who likes open deck space, also!

And just what's wrong with balconies?

Personally. I prefer a balcony. Which is one of the things which has put me off the QE2 in past considerations.

Queen Elizabeth 2 is perfectly well equipped with balconies. Indeed, some cabins have two.

Matthew

:D

Queen Elizabeth 2 is perfectly well equipped with balconies. Indeed, some cabins have two.

Matthew

:D

Oh, sure!

If I rob the bank of England!

(Do they have any money?)

Oh wait- Are you talking about those balconies they SHARE... with the entire SHIP? <G>

Karie,

who will get there yet! Waiting for the right opportunity.

Perspective...

I love balcony cabins :D. But I like being on the QE2 enough not to have one. ;) Of coarse if I could not get a balcony on a FANTASY class ship I probally would not go. :eek: Of coarse a suite on Carnival cost what an inside does on Cunard. :rolleyes: And while I like deep draft ocean liners, It is a real bummer when you have to miss a port because they can not dock and it is too rough to tender. This is what happened to me on the NORWAY. No fun seeing all of the other ships going past you to go tie up and you are bobbing on the NORWAY being placated with rum punch. Well not that bad ;) .

So I really agree with the post about having the right tool. I really enjoy how the old S.S. ROTTERDAM and the QE2 and QM2 handles in rough weather. But I also hate to miss ports....

Tom in Long Beach...

Oh, sure!

If I rob the bank of England!

(Do they have any money?)

I thought that the pound was very strong against the dollar?

Oh wait- Are you talking about those balconies they SHARE... with the entire SHIP? <G>

Share?

Please explain? ;)

Matthew

I thought that the pound was very strong against the dollar?

Share?

Please explain? ;)

Matthew

You know. Since there are only a few cabins with balconies, that everyone loves to hate (because they weren't original to the ship) I thought maybe you meant that EVERYONE had two balconies. the one forward and the one aft! (As in the open decks)

Or not!

Are there really cabins with two balconies or is it a wrap around front and side (or aft and side?)

Karie,

who really doesn't know.

You know. Since there are only a few cabins with balconies, that everyone loves to hate (because they weren't original to the ship) I thought maybe you meant that EVERYONE had two balconies. the one forward and the one aft! (As in the open decks)

Or not!

Are there really cabins with two balconies or is it a wrap around front and side (or aft and side?)

Karie,

who really doesn't know.

Upstairs and downstairs, perhaps?

Karie,

who really doesn't know.

Balcony8081.jpg

8081 and 8082 have a balcony on the side of the ship, accessed from the bedroom. They also have a forward section of deck accessed from the sitting area (via the little conservatory) which is a forward facing balcony.

Which means that they are the only two cabins on the ship to be able to guarantee a forward facing view in windy weather!

Matthew

Holy cow! Thanks for the post, Matthew.The books can only really tell so much, though I suppose I could have looked it up, I always find i get better information from those who have been there, toured it or otherwise know from experience.

now if i could just get someone with the money to afford that suite to adopt me! <G>

Karie,

who isn't proud. I'll even take care of the kids! And I don't DO kids. I'm the kind of babysitter the kids would lock in the closet or something!

Karie,

Have you considered taking the short jaunt to Halifax over the Labor Day weekend (QM2)?

We booked that one just so we wouldn't have to spend so much time onshore and off the sea. And we wanted to have some Cunard in our lives. Why not check into it? Come on...:cool:

Karie,

Have you considered taking the short jaunt to Halifax over the Labor Day weekend (QM2)?

We booked that one just so we wouldn't have to spend so much time onshore and off the sea. And we wanted to have some Cunard in our lives. Why not check into it? Come on...:cool:

Angela, we took this trip last year. And yes, I we will consider it. It was marvelous last year.

Problem is, we just haven't figured out our schedule yet and what we can or can't do. So I don't want to commit to this, if I could, instead, take a longer trip either before or after. One of our problems is that Marc can't be away for too long, or even take two trips close together. There are only four employees at his company, and he is a primary one, They can't do without him. If we go to Key West this year (first week in November) we can't, for instance, take the December 2 cruise, or maybe even the Dec 10th., either of which I would like (off the top of my head- hope I got those right) But January is doable. OTOH, I would love to do the April QE2/QM2 (with four days in between) crossings, if I can do it, but the trips are not available as a segment (at least not here, unless you have tied up group space, and it seems like even that is scarce for next year.)

Still,. the labor day could happen. We loved it last year and would certainly go back.

BTW, thanks for your answer on the Lusitania thread.

Karie,

still hoping to book something..as soon as I find out what our new roof is going to cost!

Angela, we took this trip last year. And yes, I we will consider it. It was marvelous last year.

Problem is, we just haven't figured out our schedule yet and what we can or can't do. So I don't want to commit to this, if I could, instead, take a longer trip either before or after. One of our problems is that Marc can't be away for too long, or even take two trips close together. There are only four employees at his company, and he is a primary one, They can't do without him. If we go to Key West this year (first week in November) we can't, for instance, take the December 2 cruise, or maybe even the Dec 10th., either of which I would like (off the top of my head- hope I got those right) But January is doable. OTOH, I would love to do the April QE2/QM2 (with four days in between) crossings, if I can do it, but the trips are not available as a segment (at least not here, unless you have tied up group space, and it seems like even that is scarce for next year.)

Still,. the labor day could happen. We loved it last year and would certainly go back.

BTW, thanks for your answer on the Lusitania thread.

Karie,

still hoping to book something..as soon as I find out what our new roof is going to cost!

I was about to write some stuff that related to myself and happily it got mysteriously deleted. Roofs can indeed be pricey, but if you are getting a new one, go for at least the 30 year shingles. And don't skimp on the weather guard stuff.

And after that, think again about a nice jaunt to Nova Scotia. ;)

Welcome wrt the Lusitania.

Archived