QM2 Brooklyn berth

whylion

Does anyone remember which way the QM2 sits in at the dock in Brooklyn. Which side faces the harbour and which side faces the dock?

Thanks

Yes it backs into the Pier. Starboard faces the Harbour. Port faces the Port...it faces South with its stern towards Manhattan.

Link to a picture I took last week from the Staten Island ferry: Brooklyn on the port side, Governors Island (and the Statue of Liberty) on the starboard side.

What a great photo! Is that the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge hotel in photo? That's where we're staying before our sailing in Jan. I was just curious.

Thank you so much,

Betsy/534

What a great photo! Is that the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge hotel in photo? That's where we're staying before our sailing in Jan. I was just curious.

Yes, it is! Elsewhere someone posed the question whether the QM2 would be visible from the Marriott Downtown Brooklyn, so I decided to go check it out last Monday by taking a ride on the Staten Island ferry during my lunch break.

Yes, it is! Elsewhere someone posed the question whether the QM2 would be visible from the Marriott Downtown Brooklyn, so I decided to go check it out last Monday by taking a ride on the Staten Island ferry during my lunch break.

Peter,

Thank you so much for taking the photo, it makes it easier to figure out where things are. We've never been to NY before so it's a little confusing but I am easily confused :D

Thanks again!

Betsy/534

Link to a picture I took last week from the Staten Island ferry: Brooklyn on the port side, Governors Island (and the Statue of Liberty) on the starboard side.

It is a great picture. But allow me a quibble: Governors Island, the QM2, and Brooklyn, in that order, were to port of your ferry; the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island (formerly Bedlows Island) was to starboard; the Hudson River and Manhattan, aft; Staten Island, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and the other side of the pond, foward.

BTW, Betsy/534, have you tried Google maps with satellite pix overlay for visualizing NYC?

Paul

It is a great picture. But allow me a quibble: Governors Island, the QM2, and Brooklyn, in that order, were to port of your ferry; the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island (formerly Bedlows Island) was to starboard; the Hudson River and Manhattan, aft; Staten Island, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and the other side of the pond, foward.

BTW, Betsy/534, have you tried Google maps with satellite pix overlay for visualizing NYC?

Paul

That's a wonderful suggestion Paul I will do that.

Thank you!

Betsy/534

Quibble away! My comments were of the points of interest relative to the QM2, not the S.I. ferry. BTW how could you know which way the ferry was heading when I took the picture? :D

Something I like about the new dock at Red Hook. As you approach the terminal you will be able to see the ship. That first view of the ship to me is very exciting. As you board you will also be able to see the ship. At the old Manhattan pier you never got a good look at the ship and I first really good look at her was 6 days later in Southampton.

Quibble away! My comments were of the points of interest relative to the QM2, not the S.I. ferry. BTW how could you know which way the ferry was heading when I took the picture? :D

I assumed that the ferry was your point of reference. I'd be right half the time. As opposed to being wrong always in how I spelled Bedloe's Island.

Paul

Archived