Carnival Destiny - Ports of Call?

bemuum3

My wife and I will be departing for a Southern Caribbean cruise in late July. This will be our first cruise so we were anxious to learn more about the ship, ports of call (Antigua, San Juan, Barbados, Dominica, St. Thomas, St. Lucia) and things to do at each destination that will maximize our time on each island. We're both 25 and active but love our beaches too. So we'd like to sight see and hit the beaches if possible. (Are some islands better for beaches than others?)

Also we know that we'd like to bring back rum and other items (probably duty free) so we'd like any info you all can offer w/r/t how to get these items back and how much of them can we bring back. (how many bottles of rum? I've heard 1 Litre but is that 1 Litre from each island?) What are the prices of alcohol like on the ship if you were to buy mixed drinks, beer, etc..?

What is the tipping policy on board? On the respective islands?

Do most people travel by taxi, scooter, walk???

Finally, if we do purchase alcohol what is the best way to get it back? We've heard that Carnival searches luggage and will confiscate alcohol and return it at the conclusion of the cruise. Can we mail it back? If Carnival does confiscate it, is it easy to get back or just a hassle?

Sorry for the huge list of questions...my wife and I are planners...which is what I thought I was going on vacation to avoid...icon10.gif

Go to the ports of call boards and check out things to do at each island.

You are limited to 1 litre per person regardless of the number of islands visited. That being said, because you are visiting St Thomas, you can bring back up to 5 Litres per person provided it is purchased there. Most port-side duty free shops will deliver to the ship for you. If not, you can carry it onboard and turn it in at the "confiscation" table (or not ;)). My understanding is that US Customs doesn't charge that much duty on booze so being a couple of bottles over they will probably give you a pass. In all cases, claim all the booze you are bringing back on your customs form.

Tips for the Wait/Bistrow Staff and Stewards is automatically placed on your account. You may adjust this if you choose. 15% grat. is charged on all drink purchases. Tip room service deliver 1-2 bucks per delivery. Tipping the Maitre d' is optional.

We're cruising on the Destiny in late July too! What day are you leaving? We leave the 22nd.

You can save money by booking excursions on your own, but we have been going through Carnival's website. We are going on a cruise over to St. John from St. Thomas; we'll visit Trunk Bay to snorkel and lay on the beach. We're going on the Jolly Roger in Barbados, which is a booze cruise on a pirate ship. We're doing the Hot Springs Escape in Dominica and still haven't decided what we're doing in St. Lucia. I have read that Antigua has beautiful beaches so we are going to take a taxi to Dickenson Bay, which appears to be very close to the port.

HTH.

Thanks again don for your wealth of info.

Do cruise ships typically search luggage prior to boarding hence the discussion thread on brining plastic bottles? Is it possible to mail bottles of booze back to the states? Cubans?

we're leaving the 29th but arriving in San Juan on the 26th. I've never been anywhere in Caribbean before. Looking forward to it. I'm trying to determine how much I can realistically fit in in one day on each island.

All luggage is xray scanned before being brought on board. Usually nothing is done unless things are out of hand.

Mailing anything to yourself from outside the country and not delcaring it on your customs form is smuggling and against the law. (I'm not going to encourage you one way or the other).

Archived