Considering MoBay, Please Help

vivavegas

Yes, we would go again. We chose to go to the Sunset Beach all-inclusive resort, which was more of an extension of the cruise experience than it was an authentic Jamaican experience...but we had a wonderful, relaxing time. ("We" includes myself (46), husband (47) and kids (then 11, 13 and 16).

Getting into a proper cab, even with "help" from the port authorities was a bit dicey, but the cab driver came back to pick us up at the end of our stay. We would go again, definitely.

Went to Mobay in 2003. Just don't go into town. Our teenagers were offer drugs numorous times, the cab drivers fight over you and people are always tugging on your clothing. I would not go there again.

Margaritaville was a lot of fun. Mobay itself is very beautiful. I would liek to try Ochos Rios.

We went last March and we are going again this August. We also visited Sunset Beach and enjoyed it. We had a group of CC'ers and we all got a cab together to go to SB. Be sure you get a Juta cab and you will be fine.

This time we are going to do the Zipline excursion through the ship. We usually book excursions on our own, but I feel more comfortable booking through the ship for Jamaica.

I would go again to Jamaica. We went on an excursion to Dunn's River Falls. I think going on an excursion or going to a resort is the best answer. We didn't have anyone bother us. We did visit one market and had a blast bargaining with the merchants. I was very pleased with the fun things we bought there.

We had a great time in Montego Bay - went to Rose Hall Beach on our own (with our kids who were 11 and 8 at the time). I would do that again.

We were in Ocho Rios this year and went to Dunns River Falls (booked on our own). If we could find a great beach there, I'd be ok going back.

I don't love the pushy vendors, but just say "no thank you" and walk quickly past them.

My DW and I went to Ocho Rios on our 1st cruise and did the Dunn's River falls/Fern Gully excursion. Maybe we just hit it on a bad day, but when we were leaving DRF we were herded by the on-site security not to the path we entered on, but to what we now refer to as "the gauntlet", a long winding path lined on both sides with very aggressive vendors. At one point, the group of 3 folks in front of us was literally grabbed and pulled into one of the vendors tents.:eek: As I stated before, maybe this was a bit unusual, but it kind of turned me off to Jamaica. Also, as a part of the same excursion, we were taken to a shopping area that I noticed was closed to the general public by gates and security personnel. I realize that many of the people there are dirt poor and this is how they survive, but I didn't expect things like this. However, it was a learning experience, and I think that just maybe we'll go again, but be aware of your surroundings.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the April 1-8, 2007 Freedom of the Seas cruise. One of the ports was Montego Bay in Jamaica. Contrary to all of the negative reports, this town was beautiful, the people were great, and NO ONE OFFERED TO SELL US DRUGS, we were not harassed in any way!!! We booked a private tour through A-Z Jamaica Planners at www.a-zjamaicaplanners.com Our driver was Clive who was on time to pick us up in an air conditioned van. We were a party of 3 with another party of 3. The van was the perfect size for us. For $138 for the 3 of us, we were able to go to Mayfield Falls, the Pork Pit (for authentic jerk chicken) Doctors Cave Beach and shopping. The cost of lunch was not included but everything else was. The drive to the falls was wonderful. However, you will go through some narrow, bumpy, roads so just beware of that. The mountainside was breathtaking. We would not have seen this on a ship tour. Our party of 6 was the only group with the mayfield falls tour guide. He was hilarious and the happiest soul we met on the cruise. He made sure we were all safe walking through the falls. This was one of the best experiences as far as our port stops are concerned. We tipped the mayfield guide and our A-Z driver well. I purposely did not want to do Dunn's River because of the large crowds. The food at the pork pit was the best food we had on the cruise. Doctors Cave beach was great. The water was crystal clear. Based on my experience with this tour, I will return to Jamaica but will take a land vacation and stay at a hotel. Perhaps rent a villa. If you just stick to the downtown area of Jamaica, it is not impressive. The issues and problems you encounter in downtown Jamaica is no different from the issues and problems you will see in any downtown area of in any US city or any other city in the world. I know this because I was born and raised in Chicago and have travelled to many cities. If you venture out with a private, local, reputable tour, you will see a side of Jamaica that lets you see why the locals are proud of their island. Remember the cruise lines promote their excursions because they profit from them. Booking a local company helps the local economy. This is no different from how it works in the states. Give Montego Bay a try outside of the downtown area and you will not regret it.

I, my DH and DD were in Mobay last yr. we are considering going again, this time doing an excursion just for variety. As for offers of drugs...I'm a inner city girl who has traveled to Paris, Germany, Italy, Canada, and too many more places to bore you with but none takes the drug/sex offers like Amesterdam, Neitherlands! Just offer a straight face, say no thanks and keep walking. Always be aware of your sourroundings no matter where you go. Mobay is no different if anything the people are the most friendliest I've ever encountered. Go, relax and have the time of your life...iree

Archived