Beach Cart?

bme

Has anyone brought a beach cart on board? I'm thinking of bringing one to hold various beach bags/diaper bag/etc. instead of hooking everything over a stroller that the kids might not sit in. (Nothing worse than holding a kid while pushing a single or double stroller!) Will I have trouble at embarkation?

Side question -- can anyone suggest what time would be best to avoid the crowds boarding at the NYC pier? I have small children who might melt down with a long wait. I'm happy to come late (after lunch).

Thanks in advance.

I honestly don't think something like that is practical, especially in the NYC port. Plus, if you are flying to the port, how will you get this on the plane? Taking it on a plane will count towards your limited luggage allottment. Really, it's just not the best idea to lug one of those things on board a ship.

Depending on when your ship departs, you can arrive after 1pm for lesser crowds.

I would bring one, especially if travelling with kids. I've seen folks with all sorts of carts and I can see how that would come in very handy. BTW, I looked online and there seem to be some really neat ones that fold down flat, and some that are also beach chairs, all in one unit!

If you do decide to take a cart, be sure it is something that will fold flat so you can store it under your bed, or in the closet. On our last cruise there were about 3 stollers sitting in the hallways every night because they wouldn't fit in the cabins. It would have been pretty easy for them to be stolen or damaged when they sat in a hallway most of the day and all night.

As to boarding time, my only experiences have been in Florida ports for 5 pm sailaways. The busiest time is usually around 11:30 to 2:30 pm. People like to get on board and eat lunch, and staterooms were available at 1 pm. You may want to ask a specific question about boarding times at NYC ports so you can get more knowledgeable answers.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks everyone.

We do have a beach cart that folds "flat" so I think we'll do this.

The thought of keeping a stroller in the hall is a concern of mine. Those things are big to keep in a crowded cabin.

We are driving from NJ to the NYC port so there are no flights involved -- *much* easier for us with all of our stuff and the kids.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to paste picture. If you can't see this, try a Google search on "Beach Cart." We have one that has a very large basket and chairs can slide over the frame. The basket is huge. You know how everyone uses strollers to hold stuff? For me, it's just like that, minus the seats.

detail.aspx?ID=1521

Archived