New Year's Eve in San Diego

I'm planning WAY in advance. . . We will be on the Carnival Spirit departing San Diego on January 1, 2008. We'll be spending a few nights in San Diego prior to our cruise. Since we'll be there on New Year's Eve, I'd like to make reservations in advance so that we don't get stuck with nothing to do & nowhere to eat dinner. (I won't actually book anything until at least the end of summer, but I want to start putting my feelers out to get some recommendations.)

We are an extended family of 10: 2 seniors, 4 middle-aged parents, 2 young 20-somethings and 2 kids under 10. We are staying right across from the cruise pier, so would like to make our plans in that area or at least somewhere easily accessible by trolley or short cab ride. Since we'll be leaving on our cruise the next day, we don't want a late-night party, especially since our 2 young ones will be with us. Also, we don't want anything TOO upscale. (We'll save our formal clothes for the cruise.) We'd probably like to have a good dinner in a restaurant with a festive atmosphere.

If you are familiar with San Diego, do you have any recommendations? Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks!

I don't see that many places have posted their 2007-2008 New Year's parties yet. It is too early. Some of the most fun (dinner and dancing on the Midway aircraft carrier for example) are not cheap.

Here is an example of some of the events held last year:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/feature/495/nye/bars.html

You probably will find more information in the fall for next NYE.

(KLD)

We are stay at home types, but in past years San Diego has had a "family" oriented New Years Eve celebration. Hopefully someone on this cite will know more about it. It is for all age groups and sounds like it would be perfect for your group. And, I don't think it was too expensive. And a short cab ride also.

We are stay at home types, but in past years San Diego has had a "family" oriented New Years Eve celebration. Hopefully someone on this cite will know more about it. It is for all age groups and sounds like it would be perfect for your group. And, I don't think it was too expensive. And a short cab ride also.

I think you're talking about "First Night". They haven't had that for the last couple of years, but it was fun when they did it. Here's a link to an article on About.com that lists some options for last New Year's Eve. It should give you some ideas about what will be happening this coming year: http://sandiego.about.com/od/nightlife/a/sdnewyears.htm

Thanks for all the great ideas! Now I have an idea of what might be available. As we get closer (in the Fall) I'll be able to see what's actually going to be available this year. I'm thinking that dinner in Little Italy or the Gaslamp District at a festive restaurant might be just the thing for our party. Any other suggestions would be great!

I didn't list the First Night celebration because it has not been held for the last 3 years. I hope they start it again. It was a lot of fun, and not expensive, was held at and around Seaport Village, and included fireworks.

The Gaslamp will be hopping. You could just plan to walk around there and find something that appeals to you. If you want to eat early and be back in your hotel for midnight, it will be easier (and cheaper) to find something in that area.

gosh, you're well prepared.

We will also be spending new years eve in San Diego to leave on the same cruise the next morning. Our plan was a nice new years pizza delivery at the hotel! Sad thing is- new years eve is also our wedding anniversary (3 years). Maybe I should start looking for a reservation somewhere.

My San Diego plans involve the zoo. I'll be super sad if I don't get to see a Panda, and then the cruise will really have to work hard to cheer me up.

Good luck finding a reservation! See you on the ship!

Archived