Bioluminous tour

cappi

Does anyone know if there is a tour group that will pickup travelers from San Juan for bioluminous tour? My husband and I will be in San Juan one day pre-cruise and two days post-cruise and would love to see the bio-bay.

Cappi

• 1 month later...

If you have extra days in Puerto Rico, take a ferry to Vieques or Culebra. They are islands just east of the mainland. You can take a ferry from Fajardo to either of the islands for $2.25 each way. Fajardo is about 11/2 hour travel from San Juan (you can get there via taxi or a rental car). If you want to stay in the mainland, there are several companies who offer kayak tour in Fajardo. Luis Mendez with Yokahu Kayaks Offer the tour for $35 not including the transportation. He told me that he would be able to arrange the transportation for about $35 per person (Round trip to Fajardo from the port in San Juan). His email address is yokahukayaks@hotmail.com and his phone number is (787)604-7375. Another company I've found was Kayak Rental for $75 per person including transportation. Their email is kyakrent@coqui.net. If you do the tour please post your experience. My Cruise is not til next June. I can't hardly wait for this tour. I'm doing my tour through Luis. He was so nice when I called him to get more info.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last month (August) and did the Bio Bay in Vieques. If you have the time and the moon is favorable, it is a MUST SEE. More like ONCE IN A LIFETIME thing to see.

We did it with a company called East Island Excursions. You can find them online at http://www.eastwindcats.com or call them at 877-937-4386. If you are staying in San Juan, they gave us a name of a driver who would transport us to and from Fajardo. His number is 787-449-2267 (Hector). Hector wasn't available to take us, but he sent someone else to take us. I wish I could remember his name, cuz he was the nicest guy. Anyways, he charged us $20/pp for transportation, but he would have only charged us $15/pp if he had more people to pick up.

It was a great trip! Actually my favorite excursion on my whole trip to the Caribbean. Actually Puerto Rico was my favorite island on my trip.

I hope you get to do this excursion, cuz like I said "ONCE IN A LIFETIME"

Since we only get less than 9 hours in San Juan, we have to settle for Fajardo Bio Bay Kayak. I'm sure it is just as nice (okay not as nice as Bio Bay in Vieques). Was $20 per person for a round trip or one-way only?

My guy told me about $35 per person for a round trip but could arrange cheaper fare with more people. I was thinking $70 was a fair price for the tour and transportation. He also told me that he has smaller group than the cruise sponsored tour, so it would be more private.

Thanx for the great info. I have few questions though...

1. What is the difference between Fajardo Bio Bay Kayak tour vs. the one in Vieques? I thought that there is only one bio bay ( I maybe wrong!)

2. I did look up East Wind Catamaran Bioluminescent Bay tour and their rates are $99 pp. Is this right? Was it worth the $99 pp? What was the trip like and what did the trip include? The website made it sound like dinner buffet was included.

3. Round trip transportation from San Juan to Marina Puerto Del Rey was $20 pp? How was the ride and how long did it take?

4. I also saw Kayak Bioluminescence Bay tour offered by Castillo Tours. This tour incldes transportation from San Juan hotels, kayak, snacks, sodas and professional guide through the nature reserves for $75 pp. Anyone done the tour? It sounds like a good deal. I have gotten this info from the Ritz Carlton hotel conceirge service.

Cappi :p

What I hear is that there are three bio bay in Puerto Rico, one on the mainland, and two small eastern islands. One in Fajardo is the mainland one. The island ones have more biolumineous organism in the water, which means more brighter, prettier glow at night. Luis told me that it was about 1 hour taxi ride from San Juan to Fajardo. The tour is about two hours and they even let you swim in the bay.

The $99 included a WILD boat ride to Vieques. I'm guessing the boat ride was 45minutes or so. All the drinks you want on the boat are included. Then they take you to a restaurant to eat. Before you even leave Fajardo they call in the order to the restaurant so you don't have to wait too long to get your food at the restaurant. It wasn't buffet though. But the food was very good. Then they drive you to the Bio Bay center where they talk to you a little about the oranisms and what to expect. And then they drive you out to the bay where they give you about 30 minutes to swim in the bay. It is AWESOME! I am so glad that I went and I hope I get another oportunity to go again someday.

In regards to how long the drive from San Juan to Fardo was. Well we left around 3:30pm on a Friday and we hit tons of traffic. It probably took us about 2 or 2 1/2 hours to get to Fajardo. But on the way back it only took about 1 1/2 hours. We actually got to the boat late, but our driver was in contact with them the whole time, so they waited for us. I think that is why our boat ride was so wild, because we were late and we had to make up some time.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. And like I said, if you have the time, DEFINATELY go see it.

I could be completely wrong, but I think it was a catamaran. It was wild cuz the water seemed a little rough and they were trying to make up time, so they were ZOOMING along. Since I had my son with me, they told us to sit inside because it was too dangerous for him to be outside. Only the staff was really able to walk around during the boat ride, cuz the boat was moving around so much. My cousin tried to take a picture of us and fell on her booty because the water was so rough and my rum punch went flying off the table when I put it down to do something. Nobody got seasick though and we all thought it was fun. Just rough.

Call me a bit dense, I have never been to San Juan but will be there in just 3 weeks. We will be in port from morning until 11:00 at night. Tell me more about what these excurtions you guys are talking about? Sounds like a must see but is it possible to do it if we have to be back on the ship by like 10:30? I just don't know much about San Juan and what to do there. Your thread you have going here has sure got me interested though.

Glynna

OKI CLAN.

This excursion is a night activity and only works if you stay in port until midnight. The excursion usually start at 8:00pm (when the sun goes down) and it's about two hour long. San Juan has these bio bay with lots of luminating micro-organisms. At night (not good during full moon), when the water gets disturbed by your paddle, water glows. You get to swim in the water and see the glows all around you. The closest Bio bay from San Juan is in Fajardo. It's about one hours to hour and a half drive from San Juan. Bummer, this was a must activity for me in San Juan. Which cruise ship and when are you going to be in San Juan?

We are arriving to San Juan day before our cruise. We are on Connie 11/13/04 Southern Carribean. If you look up the bio bay website, you can check out the moon calender. Luckily for us, 11/12 is the best day in November in terms of light condition. I am little frightened with the idea of swiming in complete dark, but I guess I'll get over it.

I got an email from Castello tours and here it is:

The Bio Bay Kayak trip is not in Vieques, we do this trip to the Fajardo Bay. It takes about 1 hour and 15 min. from the Marriott Condado( 6:30 pm) or one hour from the Courtyard Marriott( 6:50 pm) and the return is about 11 pm. Transportation is provided by mini Van's. You should have a bathing suit on already, since there are no changing cabins. Upon arrival in Fajardo the guide explains the whole trip, then they provide a lifejacket and you will have about 15 minutes for a pre-ride training in the kayak before departing through the Natur Reserve into the Bay called Laguna Grande. At the Bay the Guide will give all the information about the Bay, surounding area and its Flora and Fauna. You will have a chance to swim in the Bay, before returning. $ 75.00 per person, Included in this trip: Transportation, kayaks, Guide, snacks and refreshments( after tour) This trip goes out with a minimum of 6 pax.

I think i am going with East Island Excursion since the tour takes place in Vieques. We have to wait until few weeks prior to our cruise to book this tour. They said that this is too far in advance to reserve! I can't wait!

Yeah, if you have a choice between Fajardo and Vieques, go with Vieques.

Way more bio-organism in the water at Vieques. I've heard it's prettier there than Fajardo. Since we are going to be in San Juan for just one day, we chose Fajardo. I'm going with a different company though, not Castello.

I just received a call from East island excursion and the bioluminescent tour in Vieques 11/12/04 has min. of 12 participants. So far my husband and I are the only two interested. I don't thinks it's going to happen! I am really sad! :(

Is there any others who might be interested in this tour on 11/12/04 Fri night?

"Cuz every little tin, is gonna be alright" I just love that song.

Anyways, Cappi, what they told us when we booked our excursion is that usually the week before your excursion is when people start booking it. Most people who are just vacationing in Puerto Rico don't book excursions until they get to Puerto Rico. We reserved our excursion months in advance and they told us the same thing they told you. But they also said that it probably won't get fully booked until the week prior to the excursion. So I would say, "Don't worry! Chances are you'll get to go."

You're gonna love it. And it is a little wierd jumping into a bay when it's pitch black outside. But the experience is soooo cool.

You'll have to tell me how you liked it when you get back. I'm curious to see if others thought it was as cool as I thought it was. I tried to take pictures with an underwater camera, but none of them turned out. :(

Call me a bit dense, I have never been to San Juan but will be there in just 3 weeks. We will be in port from morning until 11:00 at night. Tell me more about what these excurtions you guys are talking about? Sounds like a must see but is it possible to do it if we have to be back on the ship by like 10:30? I just don't know much about San Juan and what to do there. Your thread you have going here has sure got me interested though.

Glynna

Don't know which line you are cruising with, but the Star Princess has that in the (very limited) excursions offered in her brief (4 PM to midnight) stay in San Juan. Check your cruise excursion book if you are worried about the timing and see if they are offering. I always book through the ship if I am at all worried about the time, because they WILL hold the ship for you. If you are off on your own or with a privately arranged tour, they don't and you are responsible for getting to the next stop.

Donna

We are also trying to take the East Island Catamaran tour to the Vieques bio-bay on Friday 10/22/04. As of right now we are the only 4 who have booked and they do need a minimum of 12. We are hoping to visit the rainforest on the way there. If anyone is interested in this date please contact them.

Does anyone know if this excursion is suitable for a 10 year old? Also, on the ride from the cruise ship (Costa Atlantica on New Years) to the Bay do you get to see any of the old town or the beach area. We are only there from 4 to midnight and I would like my kids to see a bit of the area.

Thanks for any info

Hi Chris,

I took my 7 year old son on this excursion and he LOVED it. Probably his favorite thing on the whole trip. They make everybody wear a lifebelt regardless of how well you swim.

We didn't do a lot of sightseeing on our drive over to Fajardo though.

Archived