Bioluminous tour

cappi

I wouldn't want to miss it either. I have to wait longer since our cruise is not until next June/July. You might want to double check the date and make sure that it's not during the full moon. I've heard that you don't get to see the bioluminescence during the full moon because it's too bright at night.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to recommend the tour guide we had for our kayaking tour in the Fajardo bio bay. We went with Robert of Island Kayaking Adventure. He was a great leader and was very knowledgable about both the nature reserve and the bioluminescent organisms.

The round-trip van ride was $15pp and it took about 90 minutes. (Everybody always says an hour but it is longer if you have to pick up other passengers. It's probably an hour once you get on the highway.)

If you are going to be in PR during a full moon, though, this is a tour to skip. Unfortunately our timing was bad and the moon was very full when we went, so the effect was very diminished. Also, Fajardo has the "fairy dust" type of organisms, rather than the "blue glow" organisms you may see pictures of. Those are out at Vieques.

Click here to read my FULL report on the kayak trip. :)

Anyone ever do the tour with Carnival? If so, can you sign up for it the day you get on board - so you would do it that night before you leave. The ppl on Carnivals 800# said you can't...but I was thinking if you get on board at 1pm or so, there would be plenty of time to be considered in the count.

gfyjny, we were picked up by the kayak company. They picked us up right at our hotel, and then they picked up another couple at their hotel too. They came for us around 5pm, we got to the other hotel around 5:30pm (they were kind of far away). We got back a little before 11pm. It was great! The bus was very comfortable.

This Vieques Bio Bay tour sounds real interesting but I have a couple of questions...I checked the calender ....we would be there in early March, a perfect time Moonwise but what about bad weather? One the Web sites said you had to spend a night on Vieques to take their tour....Our Destiny cruise gets back on a Sunday morning and our flight home does not leave until Monday late Afternoon so it looks like we would have time for this excurtion. Just not sure which way to approach this excurtion? What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Everybody who posted that they were going with East Island Excursions...you never posted a review of it on this thread! Please do so...I am "penciled in" for this Sept 3 and am hoping that it fills in like you said!

Thanks

Jeff

We've just returned from Puerto Rico. We did the Bio Bay in Fajardo-One word-- SPECTACULAR! We did the tour with Island Kayaking. We wouldn't change a thing about the trip. Our two teens loved it and want to definately do it again next time in PR. We started the tour at 7:30pm. Our guide, Robert (from the US-be sure to request him-he has a thorough knowledge of the entire trip). They offer two tours, one early and the other later. Be sure to take the early one. Kayak through the mangrove and arrive at the bay at sunset. Get off the kayak to swim. The darker it gets, the more the water glows. This was the most fun we had the entire vacation-worth the effort and expense to get to Fajardo. Very easy to rent a car and drive to the dock!

Archived