Opinions on best ship to Antarctica

ManhattanLawyer

. . . h2so4 and Tarheelbelle for your responses.

h2so4, your trip report was amazing & helpful.

We want to do a small boat with maximun landings. We did the Polar Star around Svalbard a few years ago & it was terrific.

I'd like to do a longer trip than the 14 day trip advertised by Lindblad starting Dec. 1, but that's the only window I have for an Antarctic cruise until 2009. By then, Antarctica may have melted away or I could be hit by a beer truck. So the choice is the bird-in-hand this year or the ultimate trip later. (My wife would never go for two trips through the Drake Passage.) Money isn't really a factor since the last bank I robbed was well stocked.

I haven't met too many people in the old folks' home who wished they had waited to do something so I may just go for it this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Figured as much....prob nice views from the ship if cruising by for four days anyways.....hope you like the discovery one...atleast you go ashore with the penguins..ha ha...Ken

IMHO, taking a ship to Antarctica that does not include Zodiac landings is equivalent to seeing England by cruising up the middle of the Thames w/o stopping.

DON

My husband and I managed to get to Antarctica two years ago during the Valparaiso to BA cruise. Princess arranged to have us fly into the Chilean Antarctic station. It was just a day trip and it was pricey. However, it was our honeymoon and I wanted to stand on my 7th continent. It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime; after all, how many times was I going to see Antarctica? Well, we have our tickets to the Febraury 17th sailing of the Star Princess in 2008. Flying in and out was wonderful. Now we want to see this place from the sea. Although, I know firsthand how treacherous the seas can be between Argentina and Antarctica and it has be a bit concerned.

Can any of you reassure me from your experiences?

Heather and Ed

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I travelled on the Polar Pioneer with Aurora in January 2007 on a 20 night trip from Ushuaia to the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctic peninsula. This boat is certainly not luxurious but the itinerary and the guides more than make up for that, all of their trips are fully booked (we booked ours 18 months in advance).

We were able to get off the ship 2, 3 and sometimes 4 times per day, the staff allow you to go wherever you want on the ship and the bridge is most peoples favourite gathering place to watch for wildlife etc. The ship carries about 55 passengers although the cabins with private facilities are limited.

The tour leaders are Greg and Margaret Mortimer who own the company and go on most of the tours, they are both seasoned explorers with an intimate knowledge and great love for the area.

If you want to look at some of our photos (they include a few in Florida as well) you can try these links, the reason they're placed on two different sites is that the Jessops (Snapfish) website

requires you to complete a couple of questions to log in to their site.

These will be just name, address and e-mail address as well as setting a

password for future use of their site. I realise this is a bit of a nuisance

but the photgraphs are shown in an excellent viewer on this website and it

is well worth the trouble to see them in the larger format.

The second link to the photobox website is simpler to use in that no signing

in is required and you should be taken directly to the album of photos by

clicking on the link below.

You may need to click the slideshow button twice on the snapfish website.

http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/share/p=810281172686286850/l=246795659/g=88318523/cobrandOid=1001171/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

On this photobox website you just need to select the slideshow button.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/5107424

I am happy to email you our logbook if you contact me on darrell.universal@btinternet.com

Enjoyed your photos on photobox Darrel, (do not like snapfish for reasons you quote). I envy you the south Georgia part of the trip, it is a fantastic place & you had great weather there. I have a few old BW photos on webshots.com (user name ericy202) + my dec trip on Nordkap (50 years later) to the peninsula. We had the Polar Pioneer in front of us several times in December, afraid I cannot run to that ship as a single on a budget, wish I could.

Enjoyed your photos on photobox Darrel, (do not like snapfish for reasons you quote). I envy you the south Georgia part of the trip, it is a fantastic place & you had great weather there. I have a few old BW photos on webshots.com (user name ericy202) + my dec trip on Nordkap (50 years later) to the peninsula. We had the Polar Pioneer in front of us several times in December, afraid I cannot run to that ship as a single on a budget, wish I could.

minke,

I too would have enjoyed booking a trip on a smaller boat, but the costs for singles are prohibitive. I did not have a large single supplement on Discovery and with some landings, I consider it a fair compromise. I look forward to the trip.

www.maritimematters.com/discovery-blog1.html is an excellent five part trip report of February 2007 trip which included landings comes with collection of pictures and heaps of info

We will be doing the Antartica and Chilean Fijords cruise in Feb 2008 so this Blog was exceptionally helpful. Definitely didnt want larger than this they do not take a full ship to antartica and given the size of waves and storms that often hit Cape Horn wasnt interested in something small Hope this is helpful Ann

annski,

Are you booked on the Discovery for your trip?

We cruised on Abercrombie and Kent's Explorer....

The ship did not have stabilizers so the trip down and back was very rough, so if you are prone to seasickness, stay in bed if it is bad out

Hi Fairsky

I was very surprised to read this comment. The brochure I have here from A & K specifically says "... and stabilizers minimize the effects of wind and water to help keep passengers comfortable in remote seas."

Do you recall where you received the information that this isn't the case?

Thanks

Hi Tarheelbelle, We are booked on this trip, and have a few extra days before hand to visit Iguazu (Have to see those Toucans!) and also spend in Buenos Aires. If you are going to Iguazu have a look at this web site

http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vacation.com/index.html

I have also been looking at various options for shore excursions at Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas. What sailing were you on??? Annski

Hi Tarheelbelle, We are booked on this trip, and have a few extra days before hand to visit Iguazu (Have to see those Toucans!) and also spend in Buenos Aires. If you are going to Iguazu have a look at this web site

http://www.iguassu-misted-falls-vacation.com/index.html

I have also been looking at various options for shore excursions at Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas. What sailing were you on??? Annski

I am booked on the January 17, 2008, sailing of Discovery [Antarctica and South Georgia Islands II]. I decided to do the El Calafate glacier pre-cruise excursion and skip Iguazu, since I have been to Victoria Falls in the past and I prefer to do some glacier walking. My sailing does not include Puerto Montt and Punta Arenas.

If I might chip in with an opinion -- I was very disappointed with Victoria Falls, at least from ground level. The helicopter view was spectacular, but the ground level view was obscured by mist and the fact that the falls fell into a narrow gorge.

I understand that Iguazu Falls is a "don't miss" -- with much better views from a distance.

Gene

• 1 month later...
Yes, if you have deep pockets, and I don't mean in your parka.;)

First, take a look at this MAP.

See how the Antarctic Peninsula juts north towards South America? Between the natural formation of the peninsula and the ice (even in "summer"), it's not practical to cross the circle from that side.

However, take a look at the approach from the New Zealand side. Expedition ships from Australia/New Zealand cross the circle to the Ross Sea and McMurdo Sound.

Aurora Expeditions, based in Australia, has expeditions to this "Deep Antarctic." Departure is from either Hobart, Tasmania, or Bluff, New Zealand. And you'll even see the emperor penguins.

There is no technical problems about crossing the Antarctic Circle during the summer. The problem, as mentioned, is an economical problem. There is a push for shorter trips, both by passengers who feel they can't be away from home for long, and from the industry who can take more passengers if they do shorter trips. Also the concentration of wildlife is north of the Polar Circle, so it makes sense to concentrate the cruise stops there.

A few companies do offer Antarctic Circle crossing on the peninsula, but they usually operate smaller ships on longer cruises...

The Marco Polo is, at 20,080 tons, the largest of the ships that can go down to Antarctica. She normally holds 800 passengers but for this trip only takes half that. The reason is that, once she leaves South America, there's no-where else to stock up on supplies!

Just do it! :)

The real reason the Marco Polo only takes 400 people on Antarctic trip is because if she took more she would be even more restricted on the number of sites they can visit.

There is a convention among Antarctic Tour operators called IAATO <www.iaato.org>. Not more than 100 people can be on land at any given time. Ships that carry less than 199 passengers are called Class One, and are allowed to visit more sites. Ships that carry up to 399 passengers are called Class Two, and are restricted to a number of lower impact sites. Ships with more than 500 passengers cannot land in Antarctic.

Kelowna NCL,

As I posted a few pages earlier (or in roll call), we did our research and most of the ships do "only" the sail-by. Very few actually "land" in Antartica.

We are very skeptical about the safety of the Russian ships and the "other boats" that cruise the Antartica.

We finally decided on the Star Princess sailing r/t Buenos Aires. I believe it is the same itinerary in 2008 and 2009. We chose the "safety" and ambience of the Princess ship which matches more with our "comfort level" of cruising.

I guess we are "adventureous" but still want our level of "luxury". We booked this cruise approximately 18 months in advance.

I don't know where you got your information that just a "few ships land in Antarctica". It's actually the opposite: most of the 52 ships that are visiting Antarctica this season are Expedition ships, carrying landing crafts, less than 200 passengers and able to land in almost any site that is cleared for visit.

A few luxury cruises have started visiting Antarctica in the last few years. These cruise ships carry more than 500 passengers, do not have landing craft that can take passengers ashore where there is no docks, so they don't! Passengers enjoy the view from the windows.

As for the "safety" of the Princess Ship, well, I would very much prefer to sail to Antarctica in a Russian ship with Ice reinforced hull than on a cruise liner, so I don't know of what safety aspect you are refering to.

Also, in most cruise ships furniture, like beds, chairs, cannot be fastened to the deck, so when they ship start to move (as it often do in Antarctic) the furniture also move - increasing the risk of injuries to passengers.

There is a report that the X-ray machine of the Princedom got loose on a storm during an Antarctic crossing and that there was radiation leak on board, and that a section of the ship had to be evacuated.

As for luxury, a few Expedition ships do offer luxury. There is a post on this thread about the Hanseatic, just to give an example!

I am afraid you have been misinformed...:(

You keep typing Princedom, but do you mean Prinsendam? If so, it wasn't just a normal Antarctic crossing--they were hit by a 70 foot (21 meter) rogue wave, causing a lot more than just a sliding Xray machine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave_%28oceanography%29

There were pictures going around a couple of years ago of a Norwegian cruise ship hit by a rogue wave that size that did a lot more damage (and injury). Those are not normal crossing conditions. They're a very rare, very freak occurrence, just like the evacuation of the small ship Endeavor.

It's obvious you have an agenda, and whether it's anything other than to make sure people have a good time down there I don't know, but different people have different budgets and enjoy different exploring or cruising experiences. Using a rogue wave to prove a point...kinda doesn't prove it.

You keep typing Princedom, but do you mean Prinsendam? If so, it wasn't just a normal Antarctic crossing--they were hit by a 70 foot (21 meter) rogue wave, causing a lot more than just a sliding Xray machine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave_%28oceanography%29

There were pictures going around a couple of years ago of a Norwegian cruise ship hit by a rogue wave that size that did a lot more damage (and injury). Those are not normal crossing conditions. They're a very rare, very freak occurrence, just like the evacuation of the small ship Endeavor.

It's obvious you have an agenda, and whether it's anything other than to make sure people have a good time down there I don't know, but different people have different budgets and enjoy different exploring or cruising experiences. Using a rogue wave to prove a point...kinda doesn't prove it.

I appologise, as I have obviously been misinformed. There was a large storm that hit many ships crossing the Drake passage late on the season this year. I was told in Ushuaia that the Prinsendam (that I didn't know how to spell) suffered the x-ray accident during that storm. On the other hand I have seen a Grand Piano and a copier machine turned upside down during a "regular" Antarctic storm, and I had no trouble believing that the X-ray machine could have gotten loose and broken during a specially severe storm. I have also seen tables and chairs sliding back and forth on decks during storms so violent that people could not safely approach them to secure them, so I always worry when I see ships in Antarctica that cannot fasten their furniture.

As for an agenda, I don't have one, but I am concerned about the increased amount of ships going to Antarctica, specially in view of the accident of the Explorer. There are growlers (ice bits) that float undetected below the water surface.

I opinion is that regular cruise ships with regular hulls is not as safe as a ship with reinforced hull, and I was surprised that a regular cruise ship was considered safer than a ship build for Arctic conditions - even if it's a russian ship.

I opinion is that regular cruise ships with regular hulls is not as safe as a ship with reinforced hull, and I was surprised that a regular cruise ship was considered safer than a ship build for Arctic conditions - even if it's a russian ship.

I'm worried that a ship that had been written up for "watertight doors not as required" was sailing anywhere. So I'm not sure it was just the hole that caused the possible sinking. http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/news/viewArticle.htm?articleId=20017482094

People probably feel more "safe" with a major cruise line that has high safety standards and a reputation to uphold. For some people it's about name brand recognition.

I'm worried about all of the ships down there too, even though I'm going. My first thought when I heard about Explorer (and after hearing everyone was safe) was the environmental impact of a sinking in that area. Very sad.

I'm worried that a ship that had been written up for "watertight doors not as required" was sailing anywhere. So I'm not sure it was just the hole that caused the possible sinking. http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/news/viewArticle.htm?articleId=20017482094

I read a reply by the British coast guard saying that although 6 points were raised during an inspection that the ship would not have been allowed to sail if those points had not been dealt with. I wanted to post the reference here, but I can't find it. It was on some Irish news page...

People probably feel more "safe" with a major cruise line that has high safety standards and a reputation to uphold. For some people it's about name brand recognition.

I certainly expressed myself badly, and it seems that I offended some people. I am sure that the major cruise lines have a name to uphold, but the little ships do as well, and since they spend a lot of time sailing areas that are dangerous, or far from help, we probably think about safety and comfort in different terms.

I'm worried about all of the ships down there too, even though I'm going. My first thought when I heard about Explorer (and after hearing everyone was safe) was the environmental impact of a sinking in that area. Very sad.

The environmental impact will be big. The Chilean Navy reports that they will recover all the abandoned rescue crafts to make sure they don't pose a navigation hazard. If the ship used light Marine Diesel it should evaporate in a few days, as happened to the Nordkapp earlier this year. Lubrication fuel will be another problem, as well as foodstuffs on board...

Tia Serena,

If you are in fact a Brasillian native and English is your second language then you did not express yourself badly. I'm impressed with your written English and wish I was bi-lingual.

Sandra

Hello Sandra

I am indeed Brasilian, and Portuguese is my mother language.

Thanks for the compliment!:o

But I was distressed when I wrote the message. I always try to express myself in way not to be misunderstood...

Tia Serena,

I have a very soft spot for Brasil. My daughter was a Rotary Exchange student in Lagoa Vermehlia in Rio Grande do Sul. In the year she was there she learnt to speak Portuguese but she found it a very difficult language to learn. I don't think she ever mastered writing it.

Sandra

"These cruise ships carry more than 500 passengers, do not have landing craft that can take passengers ashore where there is no docks, so they don't! Passengers enjoy the view from the windows."

Copy from comment above is actually incorrect Cruise ships with more than 500 passengers DO HAVE Landing craft and can take passengers ashore where there are no docking facillities ..... there is a limit to the number of trips made and therefore a limit to the number of times each person may land. Rotational selection for each day etc

Archived