Cabs in Kona?

CC Help Michell

• Administrators

Okay sometimes being a Libra is just unbearable! Trying to make a decision on our Kona snorkeling excursion. I had posted this thread -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=554636 -- and appreciate the replies there. But I've kept searching (and used search feature here) and the Fair Wind II REALLY seems to be exactly what we want. However, with a scheduled 7 a.m. arrival time in a tender port, it is clear that we'd have to camp out in the tender ticket line, get our heinies off the POH, and get a taxi right away to have any measure of comfort in booking this snorkel trip. SO.... how plentiful are cabs in Kona? I know I can get up early and get the earliest tender tickets (no doubt worrying about the time all the while will help motivate me!). But if we debark the tender and can't find a cab, we're going to be out of luck -- check in time for Fair Winds II is 8:30 a.m.

Is there a way to pre-arrange a cab in Kona? Anyone have any helpful input/information? Thanks, as always!!

But I've kept searching (and used search feature here) and the Fair Wind II REALLY seems to be exactly what we want. However, with a scheduled 7 a.m. arrival time in a tender port, it is clear that we'd have to camp out in the tender ticket line, get our heinies off the POH, and get a taxi right away to have any measure of comfort in booking this snorkel trip. SO.... how plentiful are cabs in Kona? I know I can get up early and get the earliest tender tickets (no doubt worrying about the time all the while will help motivate me!). But if we debark the tender and can't find a cab, we're going to be out of luck -- check in time for Fair Winds II is 8:30 a.m.

Is there a way to pre-arrange a cab in Kona? Anyone have any helpful input/information? Thanks, as always!!

We did the Fair Wind off the Pride of Aloha in April. There were no tender tickets, just went down at about 7:10 and got right on the first tender. It left the ship half full.

Walked right up to a cab, hopped in and were at the Fair Wind check-in right around 8am. People were showing up as late as 8:50am to check in for the 9am sailing of the Fair Wind.

One bit of advice is to pre-arrange a pickup at Kehoe bay after the tour. My cab driver suggested it and I'm glad they did. They were there waiting when we docked after the tour. It's not a place cabs typically line up for you.

Your experience may be different, but we had not one lick of trouble. The trip was great. While I'm sure CZ does a great job, my particular kids would have gone bonkers on that little inflatable raft with nothing to do but snorkel. The diving board and slide and lunch on the Fair Wind made it a terrific day ... (you can see the little black Capt. Zodiak boat in the background)

nikon03-179.jpg

Largen01-029.jpg

Archived