Do I need to steralize the bottles?

newyork

Congratulations on becoming a new mommy!!! This must be your first baby. My first, I sterilized EVERYTHING!!! Then, I learned that a qucik rinse with soap and water is perfectly satisfactory. I will tell you that the hot water on cruise ships is VERY hot. So, that and a little soap should be just fine. Relax and enjoy yourself. You'll be pampered beyond beleif!! Your little one will not remember a thing, but I KNOW you will!!!

Happy Sailing!! :D

Soap is a natural anti-bacterial solution. I would bring the bottle brush and some liquid soap to wash the bottles. I'm not sure what kind of sterilizer you have, but if it's one that goes in a microwave, you will find it hard to find a microwave.

I agree with 2Cruise4Ever...the water on the ship that comes from the hot water area in the buffet line (like for hot tea) is SUPER hot. Be very careful using it if you use it for formula.

Thanks so much for answering - I am a new mommy and totally paranoid. I'm won't be mixing it with formula - I'm actually breastfeeding, but don't want to nurse in public so that is why I'm bringing the bottles. I bought an electric sterlizer - so glad to hear I don't need to drag that with me.

Oh gosh, with number one I was a manic mess about cleaning. With two I was a little less concerned. With four? I'm okay if he eats dirt. LOL!

This is my bestest advice, as a mommy of four boys. I adopted two of them, so breast was not an option and to be honest, it's not really my favorite thing, so we are bottle people (for the earth mommas out there, I did breast with the birth kids for seven months each and quit. I wanted to love it, but mine were preemies and I had to pump. Unfun).

When we traveled, we washed out our bottles with a little antibacterial dish soap (Jergen's makes one) and LOTS of water. Nothing worse than the taste of soap. Bleah. We then used warm water and formula. Our doctor (and this is subjective) told us we did not have to sterilize after they were three months old, but the truth is, we never did. Yes, bad parents. Since my kids are all healthy (one with Autism, but he's very healthy otherwise) and have made it to, ten, eight, four and two, we suspect we're doing okay.

If you use Tea water, cool it down. You're a parent. You know how to drop it on your wrist, to test it. Bring all the formula you need. I would not use any formula I got from another country. I'll eat anything in any port, but I draw the line at formula.

Just watching someone that young soak it all in is a hoot. I would not cruise with my passle of little ones, but if we had only one? I probably would. the nice thing about this age, is they are adorable, sleep through the night and can't walk. You'll see what I mean when you get there and learn two parents are not enough to corral one small toddler. :D

Have a wonderful cruise. I've found the staff onboard to be WONDERFUL with little ones and my kids still talk about our room steward a year after they cruised (they were older, obviously). Many of the staff are parents and long separated from their little ones. Your child will be pampered and indulged, and you will be too. Ignore the curmudgeons who give you dirty looks. Some will, but cruising with kids is a hot-button issue. Have a FABULOUS cruise!!!!!

Okay, just read your reply. I mentioned I pumped for seven months with each of the preemies. They get fed through a tube in the NICU and spoiled. Why work hard, when you can work less hard and get all the yummy milk? Can't blame em.

You know breast milk is good for hours after you pump, even if not fridged, right? I don't know what line you're taking. RCI has fridges in the rooms.

You can get some hot water in any of the dining rooms or food venues and pop the bubba in there to warm it. Mine would drink it cold, after a couple months, but I always shook it real good to get the layer of fat mixed from the top.

I'll make this as simple as possible. I have traveled with two babies. My youngest was 3 months when we cruised.

Get the Enfamil individual travel packets of dried powder. In your diaper bag- put two eight ounced bottles of water with lids. When it is meal time, simply use the individual packet by pouring it into the bottle and shake. Babies don't care if it is warm or cold. In fact, they probably like formula best at room temp.

Take a dozen bottles with you and do a good cleaning each night in the sink with a bottle brush. I took my own dish detergent.

Have a great cruise!

I took my daughter on her first cruise when she was 8 months. I didn't breastfeed but she had acid reflex and had to use the Dr. Brown bottles with 5 different parts. I took about 10 and washed them every night. I would definately take my own dish soap (anti-bacterial) and a bottle brush. It really wasn't that bad! Have fun & relax!!!

Oh, I didn't know that the OP was exclusively breastfeeding. That is problematic. I don't see the point in pumping- you will either be on the ship and can go to the cabin to nurse or on the beach. I wouldn't worry about that.

At the age in question, you could probably just bring bottle with water and let them sip on that until you have time to nurse.

Make your life simply and get the baby used to both breast milk and formula. I nursed my older son for 10 months but used the formula powder when I was in a public place and never pumped.

I'll be taking my little on his first cruise in two weeks and I breastfeed exclusively. I decided it would be easier to just leave the pump at home and when he wants to eat I'll just head back to the cabin. When we're at at port and visiting the beaches, I'll just BF him and if I feel uncomfy just toss a towel over my shoulder.

If you plan to pump you'll need a lot of gear.. the pump, the bottles, bottle brushes, dish soap, a cooler bag to bring the pumped milk with you when at port (you don't want the milk spoiling in the HOT weather).. also will you have a fridge in your cabin to keep the milk cold that you won't be feeding your baby right away? If you can swing it, I'd leave the pump at home and not worry about all that hassle!

Have fun cruising with your little one! :D

Okay, another mom who has done both, okay-all three...I had a pump and used those bottles with the disposable liners. That worked great. You don't need a big electric pump if you're only doing it once in awhile. That way, you only need to wash the nipples and rings-not the whole bottle. You also don't have to deal with electrical outlets and can carry it around if needed.

Try to avoid using formula. It replaces bm at a higher rate so even one bottle of formula will hinder your own production (let me know if I slip into breastfeedingese too much). Keeping up supply is not a huge deal while traveling but you do want to be careful (get enough to drink, rest, etc.)

I was hesitant to bfeed in public with my first but I soon got over it. As your baby is getting a schedule, it'll soon be even easier to be in the right place at the right time. I even was able to bfeed in restaurants. I'd pick an out-of-the-way table, have my back to the majority of people, used a sling (g-dsend to the bfeeding mom) and wore the "right" clothes. No, not necessarily nursing clothes but decrete, comfortable and nothing that wrinkled. Cover-ups didn't work well with any of my kids, especially in summer when it made it hot. This little hand would come up and snag that thing off, leaving no mystery as to what was going on.

Have a great time!

I wore a sling. I didn't BF (read about the stubborn preemies, above), but if I did, the sling's the thing. Please note, in other countries BF is the norm. You should get no flack if you BF in public. Just have a sling or a towel handy for your comfort.

Thanks so much for answering - I am a new mommy and totally paranoid. I'm won't be mixing it with formula - I'm actually breastfeeding, but don't want to nurse in public so that is why I'm bringing the bottles. I bought an electric sterlizer - so glad to hear I don't need to drag that with me.

Please reconsider. It is easy to breastfeed discretely (even in a public place) if you bring a scarf or something similar to preserve your modesty. You can sit in a corner, or face away from the rest of the room, so probably no-one will even notice you are feeding your baby. On board the ship, you will also have the option of feeding baby in your cabin, in perfect privacy.

I have breast-fed all three of my children, at home and while travelling. I have fed my babies in trains, boats, buses and planes, restaurants and hotels, all without causing myself or anyone else any embarrasment.

I would never have even considered bringing feeding bottles and teats (nipples) with their attendant risk of giving the baby a tummy bug away from home.

Breast feeding is so convenient. Don't cause yourself unnecssary complications by bringing bottles and other parphernalia.

I do want to point out that drinking cruise ship water is safe. As safe as any US bottled water.

That said, I agree with celle. I've never been put off by someone feeding their child. Okay, some people are going to wig. Same folks will do so on land, too. Also, you can zip to your cabin. I also want to point out that many MD's believe that a child should only get breast milk (or formula) for the first six months. No water. Talk to your doc.

Here's the thing, and it's my opinion, only. Please do not think I am dictating, on any level. Some women just cannot relax breastfeeding in public. I think it's probably better for them not to. I also think if you're not breastfeeding, the reasons are very personal and should not be questioned. I don't think it's for everyone. I think we, as women have choices and I love that.

Get a sling. I swore by mine. I even got a water sling for showers and pool time (no diapers in the pool on cruise ships. I know some parents hate this rule, but I have two in diapers and I just value that rule far too much to break it). You can use the water sling in the ocean!

I used a Maya Wrap. Very comfy and easy to use, once you get the hang of it. Also, quite cool and versatile. My dear friend breastfed in a sling and no one was the wiser. I suggest you practice, but if you always breastfeed now, you might want to think about it.

Again, if you don't want to breastfeed in public, don't! My boys were all raised on bottles (albeit two on breast milk) and no one's murdered anyone, yet. :D

I don't remember the doctor ever telling me not to give the baby water. But ask your pediatrician. Always a good idea. Frankly, in the hot Caribbean- I gave my son booth formula and water. Kids are thirsty and you don't want them to have to get all their hydration from milk.

Best to check with the pediatrician about water. I seem to remember "no water" -- except mixed with formula -- when the girl was an infant (I did the bottle/nursing/pumping at work combo). Didn't take her on a cruise until 23 months of age, but if we went someplace for the day (Sea World, DL, etc.) I would take along a plastic bag with a premeasured serving of formula and a bottle with amount of water for each bottle I thought I would need. When it was feeding time, I would pour the powder into the bottle and then shake. As for cleaning the bottle, I would clean the bottles and then boil them for a while in a pot on the stove. After a while, I stopped doing that and just washed them. Never bought a sterilizer.

Whatever is in your bottle, I found it easiest to travel with the Playtex drop-in liners like the previous post said. Then you only have nipples, caps and rings to wash. Get a sample size bottle of dishwashing soap and you are set to go. I am somewhat paranoid so I brought my own paper towels to use to dry them with and wrap them in, as well as baggies to keep them separate. It also is handy to wash your own drink cups, water bottles, etc.

Somewhat OT, when my DD was 4 we were in Cozumel pushing her in her stroller. We hit a bump and her sippy cup bounced out of the cup holder and landed in a huge puddle in the gutter. I still laugh thinking about my DH and I looking at each other and deciding there was no water hot enough to clean a cup that's gone in a murky puddle in Mexico! So we just kept walking. Maybe you had to be there...

Happy sails!

I also wanted to add - that while being able to breastfeed discreetly can be totally doable - in most countries breastfeeding is the norm. I'm gonna assume you're stops will be in another country other than the US - those mamas nurse their babes - no one has ever even batted an eye at me when I was nursing in Mexico -

I used to nurse in the middle of crowded restaurant by throwing a towel over my shoulder. No big deal. Now, I don't recommend this in the hot caribbean. I suggest going back to your stateroom- since it will be more comfortable for you and the baby. Not for modesty purposes. Little babies get particularly hot in the sun. those diapers make then especially hot.

Archived