Taxis to Magen Bay

mpen

We are going on the Freedom next month and would like to go to Magen Bay to spend a few hours at the beach just relaxing. I don't want to do the so called safari buses since we have a small child and would like to play it safe. Can anyone tell me how much would a regular taxi be? Would I get a better deal if I go into town and get a taxi there? Are there taxis avaible at the beach to come back to the pier?

Thanks very much :D

We are going on the Freedom next month and would like to go to Magen Bay to spend a few hours at the beach just relaxing. I don't want to do the so called safari buses since we have a small child and would like to play it safe. Can anyone tell me how much would a regular taxi be? Would I get a better deal if I go into town and get a taxi there? Are there taxis avaible at the beach to come back to the pier?

Thanks very much :D

There are a couple of taxis that are vans, but the vast majority were open air. The way I witnessed them managing the whole taxi business would have you waiting until a van came along. Depending on when "their turn" is, you could have little wait, or a very long one. The taxi drivers don't go until their taxi is full, then the next in line comes. As far as a better deal, you won't get a better deal since the government regulates these rates for the taxi drivers and there is no negotiating. You might save a very nominal amount if you walk 10 minutes up the pier to the shops, but it is a neglible savings (~$0.50 pp).

My advice would be to rent a car. You'll pay those taxi drivers a small fortune anyway and if you have more than 4 people in your group, you will probably save money as well. You will pay $16 roundtrip just for your small child. That is the cost per person regardless of age.

When we went to Magen's Bay it was $8pp each way. The first taxi we asked wanted to wait until her taxi was full (she had one of the large open air ones). After 20 minutes of waiting, she drove us into town and arranged for a smaller taxi to take just the two of us. The second taxi was just a small SUV and the cost was the same.

Are there Car Rental agencies close to the pier? Is there plenty of parking at the beach? I live in Miami and here at South Beach you could spend easily an hour looking for parking?

Archived