Black Watch fao Gavin

Goteborg

Hi Gavin

How was your trip on the Black Watch?.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

I enjoyed my trip on the Blackwatch very much, sadly it wasn,t without incident. When we arrived to check in at Southampton a letter was being handed down the line explaining that there was a virus onboard and we wouldnt be able to embark until 17.30hrs. We were taken to the Grand Harbour Hotel and provided with free afternoon tea. We boarded at 17.30hrs and sailed at 19.30hrs. The ship seemed very spacious especially the Bramear Room where there was free hot drinks, a bar and piano player. We dined in a small room off the main resturaunt called " The Orchid room" i prefered this to the main room. The food was excellent ,lots of choice and also the Staff were great. The shows and lectures were excellent, We had lectures about Pottery (history of), by David Back and lectures about "Bletchley park " and its part in the war, and lectures about the countrys we would visit.

The evening entertainment was excellent , we had an opera singer (male), a Cello Player (male) a flute Player (female) and an illusionist (male) on the last night we were onboard we had a comedian (male)

Sadly we missed a stop in Cadiz (Spain) due to a strike so went onto Vigo instead and spent three days at sea, there was lots of entertainment on during the day from lectures and demonstrations to deck sports. There was also a good Cinema, a nice outdoor swimming poll.

Sadly the virus got worse and people were dropping like flies

I will post a bit more info shortly or if you have any questions, please ask !

regards,

Gavin

Hi Gavin

Many thanks. Funnily enough your trip almost mirrors one of ours on the old tub. Got to Dover to be handed a similar letter offering us the option of postponing or waiting to embark later. We chose the latter and, like you, the virus got worse. We actually got hammered by it, though not until two days before the end. That meant that the cruise was not so badly spoiled for us but that my wife and son had to face a long trip home feeling very seedy indeed. In fact Dominic had to have an injection from the ship's Doc to get him through.

We also missed a port due to the fall out over 9/11 [we should have stopped in N Africa for a day].

But I am glad to hear that the rest of the trip was good. It was certainly the way we found the ship and staff. Good food, good entertainment and plenty to do on board.

We were last on her five years ago so she has been re-fitted since then. Look forward to the rest of your report in due course.

Regards

Alan

Archived