Local Yarn Shops in Alaska

cataholic

I'm on the Dawn Princess to Alaska on Sept 18. Stops include Sitka, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan. I'm interested in local yarn shops that are convenient to the docking area.

In Skagway I have "Changing Threads & Yarns"; in Juneau there is "Skeins Fine Yarns" and in Ketchikan I found "The Bead & Yarn Shop". I couldn't find anything in Sitka. I would be interested in a first hand account of any of these stores, and do you think they will be open the end of September?

Because this information comes from internet searches it is sometimes out of date. If you know of any others I could visit and directions to get there I would appreciate it. I am also walking handicapped so transportation information would be nice.

My sister will be with me and she quilts so any information about shops for her to visit would be appreciated.

Thank you for any help.

It had been four years since I have been to Alaska but there was a very nice quilt shop in Skagway that was there on all three of my trips between 1997 and 2003. I can't remember the name but it was just off of the main street (I seem to remember it being to the left as you were walking away from the dock). I also remember a general merchandise shop that had quilting fabric that was either in Skagway or Juneau.

Skagway has two terrific stores for quilts and yarns under the same ownership. Website w/ map is http://www.changingthreads.com/index.php?page=visitus. I found some great quilt patterns there.

This is a bit of a treck from the ship if you have difficulty walking. You might want to take one of the tours or transportation offerings that will take you from the ship into town (I don't recall cabs down by the ship, but I may be wrong). Ask about transportation from docks to the town of Skagway on the Alaska board, and I'm sure someone with a better memory that me can help you out. Have a wonderful trip!

There is also a great quilting shop upstairs in the last building to the south at the Ketchikan pier - I think the building may be Salmon Landing, but it's just in front of the Lumberjack Show. There is an elevator to the second floor. Nancy

Archived