From CPH to Copenhagen Marriott

I know that a lot of posters on this board who have sailed out of Copenhagen have stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott. I have reservations there for this July.

My question is this: I am planning on taking the shuttle bus offered by SAS from the airport (CPH) to the central train station. From there, I've heard that you can easily walk to the Copenhagen Marriott, about a 5-10 minute walk. How do I do this? Once I get to the central train station, should I just start asking around? Or are there easy to follow directions as to how to get there?

Thanks in advance.

I know that a lot of posters on this board who have sailed out of Copenhagen have stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott. I have reservations there for this July.

My question is this: I am planning on taking the shuttle bus offered by SAS from the airport (CPH) to the central train station. From there, I've heard that you can easily walk to the Copenhagen Marriott, about a 5-10 minute walk. How do I do this? Once I get to the central train station, should I just start asking around? Or are there easy to follow directions as to how to get there?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a map which may help you find your way. http://www.hot-maps.de/europe/denmark/copenhagen/homeen.html Exit the main train station, and the street before you should be Bernstorffs Gade, the walls of Tivoli will be acrosst the street. Turn right. Also, on the right, along the station are taxi which you could take. Although they may not be too keen on taking you for such a short distance. Is it walkable, well yes, more like 10-15 min. If you're traveling with a carryon luggage with wheels, no problem. But if you have more luggage, well, you can still make the walk, but you may get tired by the time you arrive. Are you fit? Bernstorffs Gade dead ends on Kalvebod Brygge. The hotel is across the street, you can't miss it.

If you have a choice for rooms, ask for one with a view of the canal. We had a view of the city and Tivoli which I enjoyed, but I think I might prefer the canal view next time.

There's also a train station at the airpot, I think it departs like every 20 min to the main station. You can take the train to the central station vs. the bus. Up to you, just another option to consider.

The Marriott is a wonderful hotel, hope you enjoy your stay.

Steve:

This is perfect. Exactly the information I am looking for. I am debating the bus vs. the train.

Do you know, is the train from the airport to the central train station covered by the Copenhagen card? Also, is it easy to get on and off the train and go through the train station with luggage?

Thanks!

The trains for the central station goes every 10th minute and the new metro opening this fall goes every 3-5 minutes but does not reach the Central station.

The airport have a service crew on the platform that are helping with luggage and also if you have any questions about the travel.

On the Central station the trains are waiting about 5 minutes before it depart so all the passengers don´t need to rush out of the train.

There are elevators an escalators on all platforms and it is very easy to navigate.

The Copenhagen Card covers all transportation in the grater Copenhagen area. Bus, Metro, S-Trains, local trains, Øresundstog (to the airport) Regional trains (also to the Airport) but not Intercity and Intercity lyn trains.

Steve:

This is perfect. Exactly the information I am looking for. I am debating the bus vs. the train.

Do you know, is the train from the airport to the central train station covered by the Copenhagen card? Also, is it easy to get on and off the train and go through the train station with luggage?

Thanks!

Hi jstducky,

Hum, good questions. If I recall, the Copenhagen card should be good for train transportation, and if so, should get you to the train station okay. But remember, once you first use your card, then you have 24 hours from that time to do all the attractions you wish to do. However, showing the card is all you do, and you write in the date and time yourself, then you have 24 hour use from that time, or more depending on the card you purchased. On the other hand, It's highly likely you'll not even get "carded" so to speak. So, you might actually get by with taking the train for free, but as for me, I am not encouraging this, eventhough you may not be checked, I'd be prepared with a ticket or to use the Copenhagen card. I guess you can just have the card handy to sign should the conductor come by. For us, we were not ready to use the card, so we purchased a ticket at the airport station, then took the elevator down to the train. Overall, I'd check the Copenhagen card information for use on trains, but I believe it's covered, and if so, should be covered form the Airport.

As for getting on and off the train with luggage, well, that's what we did, and we had a lot of luggage, and we managed. We had luggage for 4 adults, 3of which were seniors so I did most of the luggage handling. I think if you're willing to walk 15 minutes with luggage from the station to the hotel with your luggage, then taking that luggage on and off the train should be no problem.

When you exit the train itself, there is only one way out or off the platform. You have to go up to the main station, hopefully there is an elevator or esculator, I can't remember, hopefully you won't have to carry your luggage up stairs. I don't think I did, I think I would remember if I did with all our luggage. Once on the main level, turn right and may your way to the exit. That's where the street to the hotel is located.

I am not familiar with the SAS bus, but I think I would personally prefer the train. I think it's only like a 15 min. ride. Here's a link for you http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Parking+and+Transport/By+Train/ Also, here is a link to look up train times. Looks like the journey is only 13 minutes. http://www.rejseplanen.dk/bin/query.exe/en?L=vs_movia& FYI, Kastrup Lufthavn st is the airport, and København H is the name of the main train station in Copenhagen.

wow! Steve & Danish Viking. Thank you both so much for your help. This is great. First hand information is always the best. The Copenhagen Card does allow for travel on all buses, trains etc. within Copenhagen. It's just not clear if that includes from the airport to the Central Train Station or not, but I would assume now that it does.

I will ask again just to make sure. As long as I shouldn't have too much trouble getting on and off the train with luggage, I'll probably go that route since its more economical!

I will ask again just to make sure. As long as I shouldn't have too much trouble getting on and off the train with luggage, I'll probably go that route since its more economical!

In general, you should have no difficulty. Many passengers with luggage use the train. I would think that walking your luggage to the Marriott would more difficult thank taking the luggage on the train. I am not saying that carrying your luggage to hotel is difficult, but in comparing the two, the train will be the easiest task. Like I mentioned before, if you think you can walk to the hotel, then you should surely be able to take it on the train. Remember, I did it with 3 seniors and about 4 pieces of luggage. We managed just fine, and I should think you will too. Enjoy the trip.

We will be staying at the Marriott Copenhagen in July as well. We are a party of six (my husband and myself, our two children, and my elderly parents).

My mother has some mobility issues, so I don't think walking to the train station from the hotel is an option for us. (we are flying out of Copenhagen). Does anyone know if the hotel offers any transportation to the airport? If not, is a cab our only option? (or possibly a private transfer company).

I am also wondering what we should do about transportation from the pier to the hotel.

I am glad to hear good reports about the hotel. The trip advisor web site has some mixed reviews.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

We will be staying at the Marriott Copenhagen in July as well. We are a party of six (my husband and myself, our two children, and my elderly parents).

My mother has some mobility issues, so I don't think walking to the train station from the hotel is an option for us. (we are flying out of Copenhagen). Does anyone know if the hotel offers any transportation to the airport? If not, is a cab our only option? (or possibly a private transfer company).

I am also wondering what we should do about transportation from the pier to the hotel.

I am glad to hear good reports about the hotel. The trip advisor web site has some mixed reviews.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

The Marriott is indeed a great choice, it was better than I had hoped for, and exceeded all expectations.

As for transportation between pier and hotel, or airport and hotel, I think taxi is your best choice. Fortunately, the distances are not great, the taxi also take credit cards, and you will enjoy your trip better by getting around via taxi. For us, it was the fastest and easiest mode of transportation. Have fun in Wonderful Copenhagen.

Steve:

Do you happen to remember, how much was the fare via taxi from the hotel to the pier? Is there only one pier in Copenhagen for cruise ships? How long did the journey take?

Thanks

Steve:

Do you happen to remember, how much was the fare via taxi from the hotel to the pier? Is there only one pier in Copenhagen for cruise ships? How long did the journey take?

Thanks

Hi jstducky,

No, I am sorry, I don't recall the taxi fare, I just know that it's not relatively too far. You might be there in 10 min. pending traffic, maybe 15. Also, there are at least two piers that I know of where cruise ships dock. One is closer to the city, but the other one is just a few minutes beyond.

Does anyone know if the hotel offers any transportation to the airport? If not, is a cab our only option? (or possibly a private transfer company).Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I forgot to mention that the Marriott unfortunately does not provide transportation between the hotel and airport.

Danish Viking and Steve!

Thank you both. I know now that I am at the Freeport terminal. Is that the closer one or the farther one away?

Thank you for giving me an idea of taxi fare Danish Viking. I have a better idea now of how much money to take from the ATM.

Also, do either of you know where the Little Mermaid is in relation to the Freeport pier? Is it within walking distance?

Danish Viking and Steve!

Thank you both. I know now that I am at the Freeport terminal. Is that the closer one or the farther one away?

Thank you for giving me an idea of taxi fare Danish Viking. I have a better idea now of how much money to take from the ATM.

Also, do either of you know where the Little Mermaid is in relation to the Freeport pier? Is it within walking distance?

Freeport terminal is the one that's just a little further out, just a few minutes.

Don't forget, taxi also take credit cards which is very convenient, and often provides a better exchange rate.

The little mermaid is closer to the other pier terminal. "Is it walking distance" from freeport, actually not really. I mean you could, nothing is relatively far in Copenhagen, but I'd find a different mode of transportation. There are bus tours that always stop at the Little Mermaid. I always highly recommend a canal tour, this takes you to the Little Mermaid, but you only the her back. Or, you can just have a taxi take you there on your way to the city, or airport from the ship, or on the way to the hotel. Just have the taxi give you a few minutes and wait, it only takes as long to see the Little Mermaid as it takes to take a picture. Or, if you have a lot of time, you can walk there from Nyhavn, maybe make a quick visit to Amalienborg Palace and see the Palace and guards on the way, then continue on to the Little Mermaid. It's a nice walk really, if the weather is good. My best recommendation is when you take a taxi from the ship, to where ever you're having them take you too, have them make a quick stop at the Little Mermaid, or, vice versa, if you're staying at the Marriot before the cruise, then when you take a taxi to the ship, have the taxi stop briefly then. This is the most efficient use of time in my opinon.

Here's a map link which will hopefully work for you. http://www.cruisecopenhagen.com/media(2505,1033)/Kort.pdf

This map will show you where the two cruise piers are located, as well as Little Mermaid and other attractions. Also, note the red line with the occasional S, this is the S train stations. As you can see, Nordhavn station is close to your pier. I walked from the Star Princess to the station, then took the station into town. I did it because I used to ride the S trains all the time when I lived in Copenhagen, but a taxi would have been simpler.

jstducky,

FYI about the Marriott breakfast. They serve a great breakfast there. But, you're in an expensive city, and a major hotel, so the breakfast is not cheap. However, they do offer the option of helping youreself to continental breakfast items at a reduced rate. Plenty of continental breakfast items to choose from, and a better way to go. Otherwise, breakfast can be limited without making an effort to find alternative places to eat. If you did leave the hotel for breakfast, check with the concierege with where they recommend, and tell them you want to go to a bakery for breakfast. Maybe someplace with Danish pastry, bread and cheese for breakfast. That's what I'd ask for to be guided for a typical Danish breakfast.

Have fun. Copenhagen is wonderful!

Steve!

You are fantastic! This is exceptional.

Basically here are my answers. I arrive in Copenhagen on Monday morning at 7:30 am, and I hope to hit the ground running. I have purchased a Copenhagen Card for that day. I will be in Copenhagen until the ship departs at 5:00 pm the next day.

Currently, my plan is to go from the airport to the hotel, by train now!, drop off my bags and then head towards the Stroget and check out the Radhus (City Hall), then head to the TI and catch Richard Karpen's 10:30 am tour of Castles & Kings which will take us to the Round Tower and finish at Rosenborg Slot. Then I probably will go back to the Round Tower and climb the tower. Grab a quick lunch, and then head back to Rosenborg Slot for Richard Karpen's 1:30 pm tour of the treasury rooms. After that, I plan to head out towards the Little Mermaid and check her out, and then walk back along the waterfront to Nyhavn. Probably spend the afternoon either walking around the Stroget or heading over to Christiansborg Slot, maybe.

I wanted to go to Ny Carlsberg Glypotek, but it's closed on Mondays.

Anyhow, find dinner somewhere and then spend the evening at Tivoli.

Tuesday, grab an early breakfast, head to Our Cathedral of the Lady, then take Richard Karpen's 10:30 am tour of Royal Copenhagen that ends at Amalienborg Slot at 12:00 pm for the Changing of the Guards. Head back to the hotel to grab my luggage and then head off to the ship.

Thanks for the suggestion re breakfast. I was trying to figure out what to do there since I don't really want to have breakfast at the hotel. I will make sure to ask the concierge about a local breakfast place for coffee and danish pastries.

Any recommendations for an affordable dinner the night before?

Anything that I really should see but haven't mentioned?

Thank you so much!

Hello jstducky,

My, someone has done their homework, impressive and good job! Glad to read you will have about 2 days in Copenhagen. Looks like you're willing to see and do a lot, and with you itinerary, you will. I think the tours will be a great idea, you will learn so much from a guide. Plus, I believe these are walking tours, and a whole lot more personable than a bus type tour. I don't think I read that you're taking a canal tour. However, it seems that you will be seeing everything on on foot that you would see on the canal tour, still, the tour's only an hour long and I'd recommend fitting it in if you could. Otherwise, don't worry, you have a great itnerary, without the canal trip.

I read that you will return to the round tower after the tour to climb the tower. I am glad you will go up, it's not a bad walk, there are no stairs, just a wide spiral path. I think Peter the Great from Russia with Catherine rode his charriot to top. It's a good view from the top, you can see all around. The surrounding buildings are not very tall, maybe three stories or so at most, so from the tower, you can see all around. Very nice.

For lunch, try Bøf & Ost which is located in Gråbrødre Torv, http://www.boef-ost.dk/engelsk/ very close to the Round Tower. If the weather is good, sit outside. Also, the best part of Strøget shopping is near that area as well. I love Illums Bolighus. http://www.royalshopping.com/ I just love Danish design, and this is a great store to find a lot of wonderful things. Again, it's all very close, just minutes from the Round Tower, Bøf & Ost, and Illums Bolighus, they're all in that area.

For dinner, I recommend the Grøften in Tivoli. They have a nice variety of Danish foods, course, you are in Denmark. You can even make reservation online. http://www.groeften.dk/engelsk/startframe.htm Or, on the other side of the the small lake in Tivoli, is a restaurant called Færgekroens Bryghus which has outside seating which I think is nice to view the lights reflecting on the lake, and children laughing nearby. This website has a picture of the place from the lake view. Hopefully this website will show you where these restaurants are located in Tivoli. http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-5447.htm

Another dining suggestion is to dine at any one of the outside cafes along Nyhavn. This is one of my favorite parts of the city. Also a good place for lunch, maybe you can have lunch here before you head back to the hotel to make your way to the ship.

Overall, you have a great itinerary. One thing I might add, and you may not have time becasue your agenda already seems full, but if say you had three hours to spare, this is one activity I would highly recommend. I would take the S train to Hillerod. It's about 20 min. from Copenhagen. There's probably a train leaving every 10-15 min. that will take you there. From the small train station in Hillerod, make your way to Frederiksborg castle, signs will guide you. http://www.frederiksborgmuseet.dk/default.asp This is the most beautiful castle in Denmark, and it sits on a lake, very fairytale like. Touring the castle may take you an hour, also be sure to visit the chapel. So, about 20 min by train there, 20 min. back, 1 hour at the castle, and maybe 30 min of walking to from the castle, so I'd say about 2 1/2 hours you could do this trip. It's very easy to do. But, you may want to add time to walk around the shopping street in Hillerod. It's no Strøget, but fun all the same.

Glad you will be seeing the changing of the guard at noon. I always thought that was fun. Takes longer than one would expect. They don't march fast, and they have guards at 4 mansions to change. The one the Queen occupies should be the one with the flag. Unless they all have flags, then never mind. Also, her son, future king, also lives in one of the mansions there with his recent wife, a woman from Australia. The Royals of Denmark are great people, very friendly and sociable.

I do hope you're referred to a good Danish bakery. Once there, good luck trying to decide what to order. The Danish bakeries are the BEST! I just want to order everything. Unlike anything you've ever tasted, what a bakery should be. This should be a real treat.

Now I've gone and made myself homesick and hungry for Denmark. ;-)

You will love your stay in Copenhagen, Enjoy!

Wow! Steve!

This is great. You are amazing. I will have to check out your lunch and dinner selections.

I had thought about getting out to Frederiksborg Castle, but I don't think that I have enough time to get out there and see it. Perhaps I will just have to go back again in the future and check it out! :)

That is good advice about the canal tour. Perhaps I will have to find a way to work it out in my schedule after my afternoon tour of Rosenborg Castle.

Any suggestions of good Danish souvenirs to bring home?

Any suggestions of good Danish souvenirs to bring home?

As for souvenirs, buy something for yourself, maybe something on Stroget, perhaps from Illums Bolighus. I mentioned Illums Bolighus before, they have great danish design, or next door is Royal Copehagen porcelin. I am sure you can find something nice for yourself there too. Also, there's Holmegaard Glass to check out too. All these shops have awsome stuff. Even somethign as simple as salt and pepper shakers can be quite stylish. I bought a small coffee thermos, a small one, yet still expensive,but I love it and it's my one and only souvenir.

Have fun,

Steve

thanks Steve! you have been so much help, I don't even know what to say!

and yes, i've decided now that in the afternoon, i am going to take a canal tour! i'm glad you reminded me. i had looked into it before, and then never finished researching it. but i looked into it some more last night and i think its a wonderful idea!!

any other tips or hints you can think of? :)

Archived