From CPH to Copenhagen Marriott

any other tips or hints you can think of? :)

Hello jstducky,

Here is a link to the canal tours http://www.canaltours.com/DCT/EN/ The boat trip can be taken from either Nyhavn or Gammel Strand. I believe the Nyhavn location takes cash only, but the Gammel Strand takes credit cards. Always confim for yourself to be sure if this make a differance. You can use the website to view departure times for the tours. The Gammel Strand location is somewhat near the Round Tower. From the alley where the Round Tower is located, walk East towards Stroget. On Stroget, it will open up on a small square. This is also where shops such as Illums bolighus, Royal Copenhagen, and Holmegaard are located. From this small square, look across straight East, and you should see Christainborg Palace. The canal is in that direction, and just a few minute walk. This is where the Gammel Strand canal tour starting point is located. Also, on the website, note that there is a water bus shuttle system. In fact, one of the stops is at the Marriott. Find the routing and departure time from the Marriott, maybe you could use this as a source of transportation to one of your destinations, or a way back to the hotel.

I do strongly recommend the canal tour, but only if you can work it in. You already have a great itinerary so I wouldn't cancel anything to take the tour. But hopefully you can find a way to squeeze it in.

I believe you mentioned you were interested in visiting Christainborg Palace. With the Copenhagen Card, you can take a tour, in English, of the Queen's reception room. I recommend this if you can fit it in during the time of the English tour. http://www.ses.dk/397f55f0

Guided tours of the Royal Reception Rooms

The conducted tour of the Royal Reception Rooms includes the Throne Room, the Fredensborg Room, the Royal Chambers, the Great Hall with Bjørn Nørgaard’s tapestries, the Queen’s Reference Library and the Alexander Room.

1 May - 30 September: Guided tours every day in english at 11:00, 13:00 and 15:00 and in Danish at 12:00 and 14:00.

1 October – 30 April: Guided tours every day except Monday in English at 15:00 and in Danish at 12:00 and 14:00.

The Great Hall with the tapestries is only a part of the tour.

Please note: 21 May and 6 June 2007 there are only guided tours at 14:00 og 15:00, and 8 June 2007 the Royal Reception Rooms are closed after 12:00 due to official visits.

By the way, have you seen information on the Night Watchman's tour? http://www.nattevaegterne.dk/uk_vaegter_frame.htm It departs at 9 pm. I've not taken it but it looks interesting. It meets outside a restaurant called Peder Oxe. This is next to the Bof and Ost restaurant I referred to in a different posting as a suggestion for lunch. As a point of reference, it's close to the Round Tower, and Stroget.

You are going to have so much fun in this Wonderful City. When will you be there?

Steve:

I will be there July 2nd and 3rd.

I am definitely taking the canal tour now! However, I know that there are 2 different tour companies that offer it, the Netto Badene and the DFDS. Any idea what the difference is between the two? One happens to be half the price of the other.

Also, I was interested in taking the tour of Christiansborg, but now I won't be able to. Since I'm taking 2 of the Copenhagen Walks tours with Richard Karpen, I won't be able to make it to Christiansborg in time to take their guided tour. I wish I could fit it in, but there's just not enough time as they only offer guided tours at 10:00 am, 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. However, is Christiansborg worth seeing from the outside if I never go inside and take the tour? Or is it not worth walking over there just to see the palace?

Also, how far is it from Rosenborg to Amalienborg Castle? Is Amalienborg worth going inside of? At the end of my Rosenborg tour, I have just enough time to make it to Amalienborg and get inside before it closes for the day. Is this something that is walking distance, or should I investigate public transit (bus, metro, etc)? Also, if I'm not mistaken in looking at the map, I can pick up the canal tour not too far from where Amalienborg is located.

Do you think this is doable?

Thank you again for all of your help. This has been invaluable.

Hello justducky,

In terms of the two canal tours companies, I think they are about the same. I am not sure why DFDS is more expensive, but that's the one I've always taken. Take the one that best fits your schedule as I don't think the price was all that expensive no matter which tour you take.

As for Christainborg Palace, to be honest I think it's one you can miss. It's not far from Stroget, so you may easily have a look at it from the outside. Plus, the canal tour may take you by it as well. I think no matter what you do in Copenhagen, you'll probably go by Christainborg at some point. Is also the site of the Danish Government. You may be able to just walk in and take a peak, but I am not sure how security these days has affected the ability to get in. I think the Queens chambers was most interesting part of the building. If you miss, I wouldn't worry.

Keep in mind, if you find yourself having time, consider taking the train to Hillerod and walk to Frederiksborg castle.

Rosenborg and Amaliengborg are not far. If you're walking, maybe 15-20 min, 30 min. at most, depends on how fast you walk. I don't think I'd take public transportation, easier to walk I should think. However, we took a taxi. But, I should have said someting to the driver as he took us on a roundabout way, and I know we were "taken for a ride" as it were." But, I was with my parents and I thought it was okay as they got to see more of Copenhagen. Although I was very surprised, I believe the taxi drivers are very honest otherwise. Maybe this one was just not too bright, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and he was not Danish, but from India. As for going inside Amalienborg, I've never done that, so I can't really say. Amalienborg consist of 4 mansions, one of which is occupied by the Queen. The tour does not go into her mansion. All mansions have the guards, simular to Buckingham Palace, only they wear black, not red. Changing of the guard is most interesting if you can be there at that time. As for going inside, if you have the time, then why not, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about missing.

From Amalienborg, you can then walk on to the Little Mermaid if wish, then return, and walk through Nyhavn. If it's dinner time, then perhaps eat at Nyhavn and on of the many outside cafes, or at least have a beer or tea. People watching is the best here. Or, take the canal tour which is located in Nyhavn. You stated that the canal tour is near Amalienborg, perhaps that is the other tour company. If so, then that would be a convenient time. But, I believe the canal companies are nearer to Nyhavn than Amalienborg, yet Amalienborg is very close to Nyhavn.

Steve:

As always, thank you! I don't know what I would do without your advice. It's good to know that if I miss Christiansborg that I won't be missing too much!

I've read about Fredriksborg, I just don't think I will have the time.

Here is how my day is shaping up so far.

July 2nd

Arrive in CPH at 7:30

Go to hotel via train

10:30 - 12:00 pm meet tour at the TI

12:00 pm tour ends at Rosenborg, backtrack to the Round Tower and climb the Round Tower, come back to Rosenborg and hopefully grab a quick lunch, maybe a polse dog.

1:30 - 3:00 tour of Rosenborg

3:00 pm walk or take public transportation to Amalienborg

3:00 - 4:00 pm tour Amalienborg

4:00 - 5:00 pm stroll down to the Little Mermaid and back to Nyhavn

5:30-6:30 catch a 1 hour canal tour

6:30 - either eat dinner in Nyhavn or go back towards the Stroget

Wander the Stroget for a little bit

9:00 or 10:00 pm head over to Tivoli for the evening

July 3rd

head out to find a danish pastry shop

head over to either the Marble Church or Cathedral of Our Lady

10:30 meet tour at the TI

12:00 tour ends at Amalienborg in time for the changing of the guards

1:00 head back to hotel, grab bags, head to ship at Freeport pier.

as you can see, I just won't have time for Fredriksborg. One other thing that I really wanted to see was the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, but the 1st day I'm there, is a Monday and they are closed Monday, and they don't open on Tuesday until 10:00 am, and I have that 10:30 tour. I was also hoping to to see the Museum of Danish Resistance, but I am running into the same problem I have with Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. Oh well. I'll just have to come back to Copenhagen again.

here's another question for you, if you don't mind. Do you know anything about either the Marble Church or the Cathedral of Our Lady? If so, which one is more of the must see?

And as for Tivoli, should I just plan on going inside, having a look around, taking photos, maybe catching a free show or two outside and maybe grabbing dessert? Or is there a ride or something that I absolutely should try out? Or anything else there that is an absolute must-see?

THANKS!

Steve, if I may, one more question regarding the train from the airport. Once you landed at the airport, how did you get to the train station? Did you land at the terminal where the train station was located, or did you have to take the airport shuttle bus to the train station?

Thanks!

Im not Steve but i will answer anyway:)

If you are flying with the major airlines they will use Terminal 3 wich is at the same building as the train station.

The churches are very different, the one (marple church) is the largest dome???church in Scandinavia but i think that the Cathedral of Our Lady is more beautiful with all the sculptures.

They have a website but the english section is not as useful as the danish one.

http://www.koebenhavnsdomkirke.dk/default.asp

http://www.marmorkirken.dk/uk.html

In Tivoli, i will just wander around and maybe catch a ride if there is one.

I will recommend a couple of rollercoasters The Odin Express, the Old Rollercoaster (the oldest Rollercoaster in the world in action) and the Demon.

Other rides i will recommend is the Golden tower (65 meters free fall) and Himmelskibet (80 meters high).

Danish Viking -

Thank you for the information. I will check out both of the websites.

Can you tell me where each church is located? As in what is it closest too? Does this mean that if you had to pick between the two, you would recommend the Cathedral of Our Lady?

Also, I have a question. I know that Copenhagen is supposed to be one of the safest cities. Does that mean that if I leave Tivoli late at night and walk back towards the Copenhagen Marriott, that should be fine? I shouldn't have to worry about safety and security?

Thanks for the info on the Tivoli rides. I will make notes and keep those in mind when I go. Do you know roughly how much a ride ticket costs?

Thanks JstDucky for asking all the questions and thanks to everyone else for all the great information. I have an upcoming Baltics cruise with at 6 night stay in Copenhagen before the cruise. I just logged in to start researching and got such an amazing amount of info in one thread! Thanks for all the tips!

TBC

Great thing about our Baltic cruise - everyone takes a credit card. So we spend without blinking (maybe not so good!). We went last year in August. I was going through old credit card stmts. and saw our baltic cruise trip spending. Here is additional information:

From Copenhagen airport to the Marriott, cost was $41.00 US (this was for a minivan, includes a little of grauity as well as CC exchange fee). From Marriott to the cruise port (we were on the Star Princess), cost was $31.00. From cruise port to the Copenhagen airport, cost was $80.00. We was interesting about taxis in Copenhagen - hard to get minivans so reserve through concierge if possible; the taxi meter starts ticking from wherever the taxi was previously and you called for one; tipping the driver is optional but we always did because our drivers were very nice and we had a ton of luggage and small children.

We used our credit cards for taxis, admissions to tivoli, all the restaurants in tivoli, admissions to museums, and our train ride to Hillerod (Fred. castle was awesome).

Regarding canal tours, the price difference between the two companies is great, but you probably will not want to take the Netto when it rains or showers because only DFDS boats have a nice clear enclosure over part of the boat where you can sit inside with benches and tables. When we went, Netto didn't have many takers vs. DFDS because it was showering overhead. I also think DFDS can charge more because it is closer to the "entrance" of nyhavn, while Netto is further down on the right side. We had lunch in one of the restaurants (crab sandwich with thick fries) and then ice cream from the popular ice cream shop along nyhavn with fresh made waffle cones (they had some interesting flavors).

Happy Planning.

thanks for going back and looking at your credit card expenses. this is great information to have on hand. i appreciate it.

i'm going to have to check out this ice cream place in nyhavn now. i love ice cream and it sounds like this place is fantastic

anyone have any idea how long the walk from little mermaid to nyhavn is? how long will it take me?

also with DFDS vs Netto, if it is a bright sunny day, then is it ok to take Netto? essentially the same tour?

i'm going to have to check out this ice cream place in nyhavn now. i love ice cream and it sounds like this place is fantastic

anyone have any idea how long the walk from little mermaid to nyhavn is? how long will it take me?

also with DFDS vs Netto, if it is a bright sunny day, then is it ok to take Netto? essentially the same tour?

Hi jusducky,

If you like ice cream, you will love the Danish way of serving an ice cream cone. One of my favorite flavors was nougant. Which ever flavor(s) you select, have it served in a homemade waffle cone. On top of the ice cream, they should put whipped cream, real, not from a can, a dab of strawberry jam, and for a small additional cost, have a chocolate covered cream ball smooshed on top. With all this, it's not your ordinary ice cream cone. It's the BEST! For another opportunity to have such a wonderful cone, you can also get this in Tivoli. In fact, any ice cream shop should be able to serve an ice cream cone this way as it is a standard.

From the Little Mermaid to Nyhavn, the walk may take 20-30 min. pending the pace of your walk.

In terms of DFDS vs. Netto on a sunny day, I am not sure what you're asking here. I do know that if it's a sunny day, or no rain, you want to sit outside in the open to be able to see better.

I believe the Netto and DFDS is the same tour, but DFDS has nicer boats. I would have gone with Netto if it was a sunny day. The ice cream shop is across from the Netto boat boarding. Yeah, my two small kids had the works on their ice cream and were very talkative after that sugar high! My husband loved the nougat flavor with the special jam. I had some yummy chocolate flavor (like rocky road) while the kids had vanilla with rainbow sprinkles, whip cream, and some sort of chocolate coating.

We walked from the Rosenborg Castle to Nyhavn for our canal ride. We took the hop-on, hop-off water bus back to our hotel, Marriott. It was great to take the blue line water bus back to our hotel because all sedan taxis would not take us (we were a family of 3 adults and 2 small children). The water bus runs about every 20-30 minutes and makes a stop right behind the Marriott Hotel. No tour/commentary, operates like public transportation. The law only allowed sedan taxi drivers to take 4 passengers and as much luggage as you can fit in. We had to take a minivan taxi if we wanted to use a taxi. We joked with a driver asking if we can tie my husband to the roof of the taxi or store him in the trunk as luggage!

Try to go to the Rosenborg Castle early in the morning. We were one of the first visitors on that misty day. It was great to be able to take our time with all the incredible exhibits. Of course, the royal treasure was amazing. My son said he will buy me a jewel-encrusted crown, just like the one in the display case, when he gets a job. That was pretty cute and everyone around laughed.

Happy Planning.

Also, I have a question. I know that Copenhagen is supposed to be one of the safest cities. Does that mean that if I leave Tivoli late at night and walk back towards the Copenhagen Marriott, that should be fine? I shouldn't have to worry about safety and security?

Hi jstducky,

Yes, Copenhagen is an extremely safe city. Walking from Tivoli to the Marriott will be completely safe, as would any part of the city. Enjoy your walk back, only about 10-15 min., as you reflect on your wonderful day in Copenhagen.

Steve, if I may, one more question regarding the train from the airport. Once you landed at the airport, how did you get to the train station? Did you land at the terminal where the train station was located, or did you have to take the airport shuttle bus to the train station?

Thanks!

Jstducky,

After we retrieved our luggage, we simply made our way to the train platform which is within the airport. No walking outside the airport is necessary, or taking a shuttle bus. It is all conveniently under one roof. How easy is that?

Thanks JstDucky for asking all the questions and thanks to everyone else for all the great information. I have an upcoming Baltics cruise with at 6 night stay in Copenhagen before the cruise. I just logged in to start researching and got such an amazing amount of info in one thread! Thanks for all the tips!

TBC

Two Boys Cruising,

Wow, 6 nights in Copenhagen, you will definately become very familiar with this great city. Lucky you. No doubt you have an agenda of what to see and do during this time. I trust you'll make it to Roskilde, Hillerod, and Helsingor?

here's another question for you, if you don't mind. Do you know anything about either the Marble Church or the Cathedral of Our Lady? If so, which one is more of the must see?

And as for Tivoli, should I just plan on going inside, having a look around, taking photos, maybe catching a free show or two outside and maybe grabbing dessert? Or is there a ride or something that I absolutely should try out? Or anything else there that is an absolute must-see?

THANKS!

Hello jstducky,

Have you used Google Earth? If not, do a search on Google Earth and download. It's free, and once opened, the globe of the earth will appear. Zoom in on Copenhagen and you will see from above all that you wish to see in Copenhagen, from a bird's eye view and fantastic clarity. It will will help orienate yourself with the city, where sites are located, and help you judge walking distances, it's an amazing tool.

As for Tivoli, just go inside and enjoy the people watching, free shows, and especially the lights when night falls. Perhaps enjoy an old fashoned waffle ice cream cone with whipped cream, strawberry jam, and a chocolate covered cream ball on top. Or, have a refreshing Danish beer. Me, I think I'd have both. :-) Also, many good restaurants in Tivoli. But, as for rides, I wouldn't say there are any "must do" rides, but if one seems like fun do you, do give it a try.

As for the churches, Marble Church or the Cathedral of Our Lady, I've been by them many times, but never inside. The Marble Church aka Frederikskirke in Danish is just a short brief walk, just a few minutes from Amalienborg. You can see this church when you vist Amalienborg. As for the other church, Cathedral of Our Lady, is known as Vor Frue Kirke. This church is located kind of South of the Round tower, maybe a 5 min. walk. So, when you visit the Round Tower, you can visit this church then. As for these churches thems selves, I know nothing, but do a search and I am sure you'll learn more.

Now if you're interested in churches, then I am surprised you have not mentioned Our Saviour’s Church "Vor Frelser Kirke" which has an outside spiral stair case. Although it may be under restoration, here is an article from 2005. http://www.cphpost.dk/get/92722.html or, try this site: http://www.vorfrelserskirke.dk/history_tekst.htm If the restoration is complete, and if you're permitted to walk the spiral stairs, then I think you might find this unusal experience fun.

I read that you're up for a polse dog for lunch. What a great idea. They are good and can be had from a street vendor, perhaps at Radhuspladsen "the town square," which is adjacent to Tivoli. Try the variety of mustards. In fact, try and sample as much of any kind of Danish food you can find.

jstducky, you're doing a great job with you planning. Keep it up.

Steve and tclowe, thank you both so much for your information. i am the biggest ice cream lover in the world. i have always maintained that there are 2 things i cant say no to and they are ice cream and chocolate.

i will have to give nougat a go. i love chocolates like toblerone that have nougat in them so i can only imagine what this taste like and with the jam and the chocolate covered cream ball. its like dying and going to heaven. i will see if i can find the place in nyhavn. if not i will make it a point to seek out an ice cream place at tivoli.

the ho-ho water taxi, do you know if thats covered by the copenhagen card?

steve- thanks for the info on the train station at the airport and the safety of the city. i am very glad to hear that copenhagen as i suspected was very safe and that walking at night shouldnt be a concern as far as personal safety.

i am so excited to go to copenhagen and i cant wait now. you have been a tremendous help in planning my day and a half there.

i am only sad now that i wont have time to get out of fredriksborg slot. i really wish i had the time. but looking at my tight schedule it just wouldnt work and even if i could fit it in, by the time i got there it would be closed for the day.

oh well, just another excuse to go back there again in the future.

if you dont mind, ive got another question..... besides danish pastries for breakfast, and the ice cream. what else is a must eat in copenhagen. im going to say that i am not much of a pickled anything fan so i am not sure that i could do the herring thing. but ive read that i should try a polse dog, which is like our hot dog, just tastier, and that the prices are reasonable. or go to a sandwich shop type and get the smorrebrod. is this true? any other recommendations.

im warning you. as long as you keep answering, i am sure that i can keep coming up with questions from now right up to the minute i leave. youll be sorry you ever decided to answer my questions!

Steve - forgive me. I just saw your other post. i have never tried google earth before. i am going to have to give this a go. this sounds like a perfect tool so that i have a much better idea on my head of all these places im talking about and the actual distances between them.

thank you for the information on the church. i know exactly which church you are describing as ive seen it on tv before. i guess i assumed that one of the two churches i asked about was this church, but youve pointed out the error of my thinking. thank you. i will have to check out this church and see if i can climb the famous spiral staircase. i do hope that its open to the public.

and thank you for the tip on visiting the marble church when i visit amalienborg and visiting cathedral of our lady when i visit the round tower.

as for danish beer.... alas, i dont drink at all. i know, im weird. 27 years old and never had a drop of alcohol. it just doesnt interest me. and my parents who i am traveling with dont drink either. but if i did, you could bet that i would give carlsberg a try!

i really wish i either had more time in copenhagen or that i wasnt there on a monday as it seems that monday is the popular day for a lot of sites to be closed. i had wanted to visit ny carlsberg glyptotek, but alas its closed on mondays. and i had also wanted to see the museum of danish resistance, but that is closed too. not that i would have had much time, or any time at all, to visit either with the ambitious schedule ive put together. i just hope that ive got the energy for all of this. i want to see as much of the city as possible and make the most of my time there. rest is for when i return home.

i know that you said that you lived in copenhagen before, correct? i am assuming your familiarity with the city comes from having lived there, not necessarily from just visiting prior to your cruise. are you originally danish?

oh, heres another question... the stroget, should i make the effort to walk the whole length of it? is it all interesting, or are there only certain sections that are interesting and no need to walk the whole thing?

thank you again. you are a true lifesaver!

Jstducky,

I hope you managed to download and open Google Earth, if so, I am sure you're very impressed. Viewing Copenhagen up close like that, it's next to actually being there. It's a fantastic tool to familiarize yourself with the city, and the location of sights.

Yes, I have lived in the Copenhagen area, and have returned back several times to visit friends. I was an exchange student when I lived in Copenhagen, so when I was young, I got to experience the City and Country while living with a Danish family, and experiencing the Danish life. My last visit was the summer of 2005, and it was just wonderful being back. Oh, I wish I was there now.

As for walking stroget, it goes by fast. I mean, there's so much to see as you walk this pedestrian street. I think I read it's like a mile long, but it just doesn't seem that far, and I've walked it many times. Yes, to me, it's all interesting. You could walk from Nyhavn, down stroget to the town square (Radhuspladsen). You could also continue to your hotel if you wish. Or, vice versa, walk from the hotel to the town square down stroget, and end up in Nyhavn, or continue on to Amalienborg, the Little Mermaid, etc. For the return back to the hotel, or vice versa, take the water taxi to/from the Marriott. These are just suggestions, you need to do what best fits your schedule. I do not believe the Copenhagen card is valid on the water taxi, but do check. Have you looked at the Copenhagen Card website to see what is valid? http://www.copenhagencard.dk

if you dont mind, ive got another question..... besides danish pastries for breakfast, and the ice cream. what else is a must eat in copenhagen. im going to say that i am not much of a pickled anything fan so i am not sure that i could do the herring thing. but ive read that i should try a polse dog, which is like our hot dog, just tastier, and that the prices are reasonable. or go to a sandwich shop type and get the smorrebrod. is this true? any other recommendations.

im warning you. as long as you keep answering, i am sure that i can keep coming up with questions from now right up to the minute i leave. youll be sorry you ever decided to answer my questions!

jstducky,

I am happy to share what I know. I am the same way when it comes to planning a vacation. I use sites like this frequently, and am always asking many questions. Just when I think I have all my questions answered, then I few days later, I find that I have a dozen more questions.

I think it's great that you're interested in trying various Danish food. I am not into pickled food either. Yes, herring it is a popular lunch item, but not one that I ever cared for. Obviously you know I loved the bakeries. I think you will find this a real treat. Good luck deciding which to choose as they will all be great. I suggest you try or share a few samples, and do try/share Wienerbrød. This is the true "Danish," and far exceeding the Danish we have here in the States.

As I originally stated, go to the Marriott's concierge and explain to them you wish to try some good typical Danish establsihments to sample Danish foods. That you're not necessarily interested in a "meal," but wish to sample typical Danish food as you wander and stroll about the city. Have the concierge write down the names of these places and using a map, mark the location. Hopefully the concierge will help you out. If you don't get the information you need, as at the desk, or even the bellmen at the enterance. Ask anywhere you go, maybe even people on the train from the airport to the City. I watch Rachel Ray on the FoodTV and that's what she does, she goes to the local citizens and ask them where they recommend. But, it probably does help if they know what you want. I recommend trying a self made "taste of Copenhagen" as you go about visiting the city. So, you want a couple of good bakeries for sure, although I think they're all good bakeries. ;-) You already know about the ice cream. You also know about the polse dog which is purchased from a street vendor. Makes for a great snack. Unlike a hot dog, this is not served in a hot dog bun, at least that's not the typical Danish way. It's just served alone, maybe with a piece of bread, and condements on the side to use for additional flavor. The vendor may have several variety of "dogs' to choose from. Pick the one that appeals to you most.

Also, as you mentioned, for lunch, you should try smorrebrod, which are open faced sandwiches. Smorrebrod is an interesting open face type sandwich. It's served on a bread they call rye bread. However, to me, it does not have the taste of rye at all. But, it is definately a high grain bread, very very dense. It is sliced from the loaf in very thin slices, then cut in half. So, a half of a thin sliced dense grain bread is what this is. Therefore, one slice of bread makes two open faced sandwiches. Next, a thin covering of butter is spread on the bread. Now the rest is wide open for what to put on top, anything goes. Could be herring, an egg, liverpostej (this is made of liver, maybe an acquired taste, extremely popular, and I now love it.) Also on the smorrebrod can be thin slices of ham, roast beef, or a seafood salad, or a variety of salads, or even just cheese. I do encourage you to sample various cheeses if you can. There are cheese shops along stroget, I suggest you stop in one and have a look. I don't know if they give free samples, but if they did, that would be perfect. Cheese on buttered french bread is awsome.

For dinner, if you're at a restaurant, try the flat fish, very typical for Danish. It's good if you like fish, watch for bones. Hopefully you'll be served small white potatos served with gravy. Again, very Danish, and very good. I know you're there for a short stay, but as you walk about the city, hopefully you'll be able to stop and sample the variety of food, conducting your own "taste of Copenhagen," which I think is all part of the overall experience.

Steve:

Again, I am extremely thankful that I have you as a resource. This is all wonderful information. I only hope that one day in the future I may have the opportunity to "pay you back" and provide to you information in the manner you've provided to me! If you ever plan on going to Alaska, coming to LA or perhaps taking a cruise to the Med, maybe I could help!

Anyhow, thank you for the information on the smorrebrod. I had read a lot about it, but I wasn't sure that I quite understood what they meant by open faced sandwich. I figured it wasn't exactly like the sandwiches we had here. I agree that I will have to do my own "taste of Copenhagen." I can't wait to try a ton of them. I'm going to certainly have to buy many different types to get a full taste of the danishes. I will certainly try the ice cream and probably the polse dog.

I never knew about the cheese. I will have to keep the cheese in mind as I walk down Stroget.

Is Copenhagen known for chocolate? Are there chocolate shops along the Stroget as well?

Lastly, here's another question I have. Are there supermarkets somewhere around the hotel? I would like to go somewhere and purchase water and sodas perhaps that I can take with me on the ship prior to boarding?

I am sure that I will have more and more questions. Again, thank you for all of your help.

Hello Jstducky,

With regard to the smorrebrod, I forgot to mention a few things. For one, it's an open faced sandwich becasue you do not cover wtih a second slice of bread. It's just the one 1/2 slice of bread, buttered, then you apply what ever ingredient you want, but you do not cover with the 2nd piece of bread. Also, you do not eat with your hands, you use a knife and fork. Smorrebrod means buttered bread in Danish, but is never served as just buttered bread due to the variety of toppings one can put on. Also, unless you're in a Danish home, you don't fix the sandwich yourself, in a restaurant, this will be done for you. But, ask at the hotel, or anyone you can get to help for suggestions as to where to go. Beacause, it seemed, that although smorrebrod is extremely popular, I don't recall seeing it a lot at eating establishments. But, I could be wrong because it's been a while since I've gone out for lunch in Copenhagen, and when I lived there, I always ate at home, and never went out for lunch, or dinner. Restauants, or dining out, even for Danes, is expensive, therefore in comparison to the States, there are not as many restaurants. But, in Copenhagen, being the Capitol, and a majoy international city, certainly there are many restaurants, but those selling smorrebrod may be limited, so ask where you can to to try one or two.

As for supermarketes, as at the concierge where you can go as I am not familiar with where the nearest market might be.

I don't know if Copenhagen is "known" for Chocolatets, but I do know they are very popular. Anthon Berg is one manutacture that I know of. You can find chocolate anywhere, airport, main train station, and many other locations. They even have chocolates with liquor in them so becareful what you select. Black licorice is also very popular. For me, my favorite chocolates, and even pastery, were those with marsipan which is like an almond paste, and I found that I liked it a lot. But yes, you will find a lot of great chocolates in Copenhagen.

Yes, cheese is very popular. Cheese andFfrench bread makes for a good breakfast, or lunch. Some cheeses can be strong, but I do love the mild ones.

I am heading off to Alaska this Summer, July 3rd. It's just a quick trip, 5 nights, but unfortunately we're not taking a cruise. Just cramming a bunch of fun stuff in a short amout of time. We plan to take a sea plane to Brooks Falls for bear viewing, sea kayaking in Homer, white water rafting on Six Mile Creek, a National Park Fjord cruise in Seward, and a flight around Mt. Mckinley, hoping for good weather that day.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I am sure you might, as I myself always come up with more questions. It seems that the more I learn, the more I realize there's more to learn.

Have fun planning, it's half the fun.

Wow there are many suggestions and i will try to help as much as possible

Beer: there are alot of micro breweries, Goumet bryggeriet, Braunstein (from my hometown Køge:) ) Vesterbro bryghus and Nørrebro bryghus and many others, they taste better than Carlsberg and Tuborg but they are also okay.

Icecream: On nyhavn there is the Vaffelbageren that bakes there own Waffels and cones, they oner of the best icecream cones in denmark.

Smørrebrød: Try ida davidsen on Store kongensgade 70, this is very close to Amalienborg and Kongen Nytorv.

Again i found something on www.aok.dk

You can chose between 220 different pieces of 'smørrebrød' at Ida Davidsen, who is known all over Denmark for her delicious food. Some of the 'smørrebrød' are named after famous people, e.g., Victor Borge. The Comedian is a piece with salmon, freshly pickled lumpfish roe, crawfish tails, prawns from Greenland, lime and dill mayonnaise.

Cheese: im not a big fan of cheese (only the mild one:) ) but riberhus is known to be very good.

Also try this

Danbo

Danish blue cheese

Danish tilsit (or tilsit Havarti)

Esrom (or Danish port-salut)

Havarti cheese (or Cream Havarti)

Saga Cheese

Samsø ost (samsoe Cheese)

Supermarkets: There are maybe some small kiosk near the hotel but i will go to the Central station to shop.

Chocolate: theres is a another thread with suggestions about Chocolate, but Anthon berg, bogø and toms are some very good brands.

There is a shop only with candy on strøget but i can´t remember the name, theres is also frellsen near the round tower.

http://www.frellsen.dk/

Steve:

You're going to Brooks falls? Now I'm jealous.. I've always wanted to go to Brooks Falls. That's supposed to be one of the best places to watch the bears.

I am sooooo jealous!!!!

You'll be in Alaska when I'm in Copenhagen.

Alaska is a place I'd love to move to one day or at least have a summer home there....

Have you been before?

I am sure as I get down to the last few weeks here before we go to Copenhagen, I'm sure that I'll have tons more questions for you....

Hello jstducky,

Yes, I am very much looking forward to viewing the bears at Brooks Falls, that was the primary reason for making this summer trip. I have been to Alaska before, twice, once in June, and once in November. It was equally beautiful in November with so much snow as it was in the summer.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Archived