Advice From Calif. Cruisers On Airport Transfers

Help!!! Coming from Nashville, TN to Oakland, Calif. airport on Southwest on a Tuesday in Sept. 2004. Flights on hold and I need to call and confirm tonight.

Which one??:confused: Leave Nashville 7 something and arrive 12:45 pm

change planes in Phoenix with 1 hr or so layover

Leave Nashville 9 something and arrive 1:35 pm with stop

in Ontario, Calif and stay on plane for appx. 30 minutes

Already booked cruise and can't get money back -- other carriers prices out of sight and Southwest is our best choice, but nervous about flights and getting to ship.

We have to onboard Sun Princess by 4 pm that same day.:rolleyes:

Is this possible or cutting it too close?? If we could come day before (hubby would have to call in sick and he doesn't want to cause this cruise will wipe out our vacation days -- working is such a hindrance!!

Advice on best shuttle or taxi company to get us to port without delays and estimated cost.

Also, if we could fly in day before ---- advice on best hotel that would pick us up at Oakland aiport and shuttle us to SFO hotel or what do you think??

Thanks so much for your help!!:cool:

Sundowner,

I don't live in Oakland, but up by Sacramento (2 hrs north east). I think it is do-able. Weather out here is sunny and warm and in September the mornings and evenings will be cooler. The only chance you may take will be with the weather, but I don't think that will be a problem that time of year. I doubt they will be fogged in for a pm arrival. If you are worried, maybe catch an earlier flight if possible?

I'm guessing you are sailing out of San Francisco and Oakland isn't that far from there. You might try SuperShuttle, or even check with the cruiseline, they maybe able to set you up with transfers. Here is the website for SuperShuttle (their may be a coupon in the Entertainment book)--if they can't do it, they can probably recommend a company.

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/sfo.htm

Good luck!

Thanks so much!!;)

The flight arriving 12:45 pm is earliest and that is still risky with flight delays, weather, etc. plus getting luggage and ground transp. across bay bridge to get to Pier 35 in SFO and be on the Sun Princess by 4 pm.

Seriously considering coming day early and staying in San Fran -- any suggestions on hotels. Also, would you take Supershuttle or BART coming in day early?

Also, where do we get one of the Entertainment Books?

Thanks again for all your wonderful help -- it helps having more than l person thinking our problems thru for us.

Have a great week

Sundowner:cool:

If I were doing this, I would contact a shuttle service and ask them how long it takes to get from Oakland to Pier 39. I don't live down there, so I'm not one to ask. But seeing as you are coming in mid day, on a Tuesday, traffic shouldn't be a problem. Don't quote me on this, but I think it is maybe 30 minutes, maybe 45 to the pier.

I couldn't tell you about BART and whether it goes to the pier or not. We took a cruise out of San Francisco last year and we just drove down from our house that morning--first time we have ever been able to do that!

Hotels in the area are not cheap, everything in the Bay area will probably be $140 or more. If you do decide to fly the night before, I would look for a hotel that has shuttle service. Have you checked with the cruiseline to see about transfers?

The Entertainment Book is just a big book of coupons for restaurants and places, car rentals, etc. The schools usually sell them. If you ask around, there is probably someone who has one. I don't know what the weather is like where you are in September to suggest going a day early.

We are going on a cruise in December out of Galveston and we are going a day early because of weather and the earliest the flight would get in the day of the cruise is not early enough.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help. We actually live appx. 60 miles north of Nashville, TN so right now the weather is wonderful -- nice 80's with low humitity, but normally it is hight 90's-100 with lots of humitity and by end of summer you are glad to see it go and weather is still nice for us well into October. In Sept. the weather should be quite pleasant.

We have decided to fly in a day early if we can work it out with our jobs due to the stress of not having much leadway with our flights and getting to ship and traffic, weather, etc. -- too stressful. So transfers in a timely won't be such a problem, and I thank you for your help. We can use Supershuttle, etc. and not worry about traffic or other delays. I am searching for hotels that would be in San Francisco that would be in a good location for eating, etc. and still have to get taxi or shuttle to port the next day.

Keep the tips coming as you think of them -- we are still planning thru this trip.

Have fun on your next cruise.:cool:

Yo-

Take the flight that gets in at 12:45 - the traffic mid day around here isn't too bad at that time-

Do the Super Shuttle to the pier and you should be on board by 2:00 to 2:30-

Have a snack and drink - get out the camera 'cause you are going to be able to get some great SF pics on the way out the Gate-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

(b.t.w. we ALWAYS fly in the day before - unless we take a "read eye")

I live in the Bay Area. Take the one that gets in at 12:45. If you don't check luggage you will be in the super shuttle or a cab 15 minutes after you get off the plane and you should be able to get to the SF Pier by 2-2:30. If you check your luggage (you probably will) add on 15 minutes. That still gets you to the Pier by 2:45. I haven't taken it but I've heard that the traffic around the SF Pier is murder so that's why I'm suggesting the 12:45 flight.

If you come in the night before. The only advice is that Oakland Hotels will be less expensive then SF Hotels and I can almost guarantee that no San francisco hotels have complimentary shuttles to the Oakland Airport. I hope this helps. have a great cruise.

I live right next to Berkeley (near Oakland) and I say call in sick. Unless you like taking chances. Why not relax before your cruise?? I always come in the day before I cruise. It is SO much better. Plus, the SF area is soooo wonderful, you'll have two trips in one. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't chance it. I've been on one too many flights where I was waiting for an hour or two in the plane, on the runway, just sitting there because we were delayed. Prepare yourself for the cruise: RELAX!! Sure, chances are you may make it, but the price you would pay if you didn't seems too great. And like I said; have two vacations in one!!!! For hotels in SF, try hotels in the Embarcadero or Fisherman's wharf area. For shuttle service, go to Oakland Inter. Airport website.

We are not wanting to be crazed by the possible flight delays, we got a great rate in the airfare one way and so we decided to do a day and a half in San Fran. we went online at Priceline and bid 70 for a 3 star hotel and within seconds we go the Sheraton Fishermans Wharf...I have seen it no cheaper then 149 on various hotel based web sites. We will be within 5 minute of the cruise ship, need no rental car, and we are taking the SUPER shuttle into the are from Oakland for 40 total for both us...

Hope this helps...relax

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked flights for day before on Monday 9/27 -- so that problem is solved. Also used Priceline for first time and got Sheraton at FW for $60 -- more great news!! All other hotels in FW area were $140 and up, so we are happy with our plans -- only wish we had flown in on Sunday and had more time to explore SF, but there are always another day and time!! THANKS so much for your wonderful advice and help.

Thanks so much for wonderful advice! Almost decided to just grab cab or shuttle at airport rather than pre-book with SuperShuttle or Bayporter Express -- in case of flight delays, etc. Hope to be at hotel by 3 pm so we can eat, ride cable car and explore. What ya think??

Appreciate any advice for things to do in SF and any info on P.Canal cruise from SF to Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks so much!!

If I were a tourist in S.F., I would certainly go to Fisherman's wharf (where your staying) and Pier 39. Make sure to have a nice hot bread bowl of clam chowder. You can catch a cable car in the Wharf area and it will take you to Union Square. I would go to Union Square for good shopping and to see my favorite hotel the Westin St. Francis, go see the golden gate bridge, try a city tour that covers the golden gate bridge and the area near by it (which is where the Palace of Fine Arts is located and which I think is absolutely beautiful). Go to Alcatraz of course. Go on a ferry that takes you to Angel island and Sausalito. Walk along the Embarcadero (which is a loong street where all the piers are and FW is close by). Of course don't forget about Lombard St.. The SF MOMA (museum of modern art) is a nice place to visit. Coit Tower is a great photo opportunity. China town and North beach (italian section/NICE!) is nearby your hotel (walking distance). Please know that SF is only approx. 7 miles long and wide. If you like to walk, you really don't need a car to get around to the most important areas in the city. If you only have one day in SF, do the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area, take a golden gate bridge tour (on a cable car), and go to Alcatraz and really try to take the cable car to Union Square and check out Lombard St. Then you will have gotten a great taste of the City. Have a GREEEEEEEEEEEEAAAATTT time!!

Archived