Dining on Sapphire?

farm girl

My husand loves good food and he has been very pleased with Oceania and has been happy to pay extra for fine dining on Holland America.

We are going on Princess to Australia / NZ with a group of friends and he is worried about the quality of food. (He had been on Princess about 20 years ago and said it was not the best). I have tried to tell him thinks change and they have a dining room like Holland America where you can pay extra, but I can not find it written anywhere. Does anyone know? Has anyone been on Oceania and then Sapphire Princess?

Thanks for any help.

Haven't been on the Sapphire Princess, but have been on some 17 or so Princess cruises, and on Oceania twice, with a 3rd trip booked.

Princess food we think is good, but certainly no comparison to Oceania's, which we think is very good to outstanding.

There are alternative restaurants on Sapphire and most of her sisters, and are extra charge. Again, good, but they pale in comparison to Oceania's alternative restaurants.

I don't really think it fair to attempt to compare the two cruise lines; Princess is mass market, and Oceania is high-end. They are two very different product lines.

My husand loves good food and he has been very pleased with Oceania and has been happy to pay extra for fine dining on Holland America.

We are going on Princess to Australia / NZ with a group of friends and he is worried about the quality of food. (He had been on Princess about 20 years ago and said it was not the best). I have tried to tell him thinks change and they have a dining room like Holland America where you can pay extra, but I can not find it written anywhere. Does anyone know? Has anyone been on Oceania and then Sapphire Princess?

Thanks for any help.

We have been on Oceania twice in the last year and just got off 30 days on the Sapphire. Our take:

We were pleasantly surprised by the quality, quantity and presentation of the food in the main dining rooms (we were Personal Choice...on the Sapphire you have the choice of 4 different dining rooms, all with a "signature dish"). Is the food the level of Oceania, especially Polo and Toscana? No, but then neither is the cruise price. Is it the equal or better than Celebrity, known for its food? Definitely.

Although there are 2 speciality restaurants aboard, Sabatini's (Italian) and Sterling (Steakhouse), we never had the inclination to visit either. The main dining room food was that good that we did not see any need to pay $20-30 pp extra for a meal.

Hope this helped.

Thank you so much. I am excited about our Princess Cruise because the ship is large and I get seasick easily and I wanted to be on a large ship for Australiz/NZ. Your comments helped. I think my husband will be fine.

Now I need to deal with the issue of formal nights. Is taking the extra clothing worth the meal?

Thank You

Archived