Uniworld River Baroness

Studebaker59

My husband & I just returned from Uniworld's River Baroness. We did Paris & Normandy.

The cruise was wonderful!!!

We knew the cabin would be small, and it was. However, it was really very cozy, and had a place for everything.

The food & crew couldn't have been better. Our Cruise Manager, Emmanuelle, was excellent.

We were given voice boxes & earpieces to use on the walking tours. Everyone in the group could hear the guide's words. I loved it! Each group had a different frequency so we didn't hear other guides, just our own guide.

This was our first riverboat experience. We're looking forward to more.

In an earlier post, bbuchanan said that on his cruise, the River Baroness was not allowed past Rouen due to differences between the Dutch and the French who were "negotiating river policies." Was this issue resolved by the time your cruise reached Rouen? Or did the River Baroness have to stay at Rouen? :confused:

The ship stayed in Rouen. We took motorcoaches to see everything that was on the original itinerary. No problem.

I believe that this has been on every sailing this season.

Uniworld sent an e-mail telling us about this five days before we sailed.

They gave us free wine at the Welcome & Farewell Dinners, plus a one hour open bar because of the situation.

We were fine with it.

We were given voice boxes & earpieces to use on the walking tours. Everyone in the group could hear the guide's words. I loved it! Each group had a different frequency so we didn't hear other guides, just our own guide.

This has piqued my curiousity. Do you have a picture of what a "receiver" looks like?

Does each passenger get a receiver at the beginning of the cruise, to be used for all walking tours? Or does each walking tour guide hand them out at the beginning of a tour and collect them at the end of the tour?

Just returned from a Uniworld cruise where these were used. Each person gets their own earpiece for the duration of the cruise. The actual box is about the size of a deck of cards and it hangs around your neck on the string that is attached to the earpiece.

Every time we needed them we picked them up at the reception desk as we handed in our room keys and also received our "off-the boat" passes. The VOX boxes were grouped in 5 groups with 5 frequencies. The tour guide had a special transmitter that they talked into; no need for them to yell. One could walk pretty far away from the tour director and still hear. They worked very well. We were also told that if we lost the box that there would be a $200 fee to be paid. A couple of the boxes did not work, so testing was necessary before the tours started.

Studebaker 59 - Thank you for your posts. I am glad to hear that not going any further than Rouen did not cause a problem, and that Uniworld "compensated" for that by having a few happy hours. Also, the information about the headsets is interesting. We are scheduled for this cruise in October. Maybe the French and Uniworld will have resoved their problems by then.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing that things went well. We are leaving next Wednesday and will be on the Baroness starting June 24! I am very reassured about this tour situation now. Free dinner drinks works well too! Anyone else out there on the boat at the same time?

Archived