What to do in Port Canaveral?

10XCRUISE

I know there is no beach there but Kennedy Space Center is pretty interesting. THe Apollo display is great and they jus topened a new ride that simulates a shuttle launch with you on it. Pretty cool. You could rent a car and head to Cocoa Beach. Nice big beach with a pier and all.

Any suggestions on what to do in Port Canaveral other than the Orlando excursions? We are looking for something with some beach time involved.

We've already seen the Disney and space things so we signed up for the river kayaking trip. Seems reasonably priced. We hope to see some manatees and commune with nature:D .

Sea Hound

How far is Disney World from the port? We were looking at doing a cruise/Disney vacation next year. I know Disney has transport from the airport but I didn't know how far it would be from the port to Disney. Thanks!!

It's a one-and-a-half to two-hour drive each way, depending on traffic, which can be snarly around Disney.

The port is only a few miles from the beaches.There are several Public beaches in the area. Sattelite beach, Cocoa Beach, and one further down from Cocoa. Cant rememberr the name. Look up on State of Florida web site. You have to check out Ron Jons in Cocoa. Teens love their T Shirts.

How far is Disney World from the port? We were looking at doing a cruise/Disney vacation next year. I know Disney has transport from the airport but I didn't know how far it would be from the port to Disney. Thanks!!

We have done the Disney cruise so many times I am ready to grow mouse ears, we have never have taken more than an hour to get from the parks to the port, we usually rent a car (cheaper than disney transfers) and drop it off by the port and take their shuttle (free) over to the ship, or if we are doing it the opposite way use a private shuttle from the airport (email me for the name) and then rent the car (they have shuttles waiting for you) and head out to disney.

In the port canaveral area you can go to Ron Jon's which is great fun, hang out on the pier at cocoa beach, go over to kennedy space station. IF you are going to do disney I know a place to get discounted one day passes.

The beach below Cocoa is Melbourne. It's about an hour from Canaveral, but it's really pretty. You can also go north about the same distance, just below Daytona is New Smyrna Beach. White sand beaches that you can drive on. There used to be a $5.00 charge per car to drive on the beach. New Smyrna is not as crowded as Daytona, and less commercial! Enjoy!

We went Kayaking while in Port Canaveral and it was great. We got to see a dolphin or two it was really nice. We also got off at this little island and hung out for a few minutes. The tour guide was awesome. We also stopped at this orange grove which is so great!! I bought and drank so much fresh squeezed OJ that I ended up with a canker sore lol. It was about $64 I believe, but worth it.

And we can highly recommend the Kennedy Space Center. The new Shuttle Experience attraction is wonderful. We also went to the beach at Cocoa Beach. There are lots of areas to go -- there's the cocoa back pier, with restaurants an such (a little honky tonk, but not bad.) We went to Alan Shepard Park at Cocoa Beach -- paid $5 or $6 to park and there was a small place on the beach that rented chairs, umbrellas cabanas, etc. They're close to a restaurant and 7/11 for snacks and there's a rest room and outdoor showers (didn't see any indoor showers or bathhouses though)

Archived