Transport from New Orleans Airport to Ship

smvthecpa

A group of six of us are taking a cruise from New Orleans on November 8, arriving at the airport around 10:00AM. What are the transfer options to the ship? How much does carnival charge? Is a taxi cheaper? When does Carnival start the shuttle from the airport to the ship? 10:00AM? 11:00AM?

Thanx

• 1 month later...

Do not pay Carnival for their transfer in advance. It is quite expensive. The shuttle service is $13.00 per person. What they told us, is we could purchase the ticket for the shuttle, but we would ride the Carnival Bus to the port. But we would have to wait until the bus was full until we left. That would probably have been a long wait. Most people drive for this cruise. Majority are from Louisiana. We did not want to wait, so we took the taxi. I originally planned to stop and pickup drinks on the way. The driver said it would be another $18.00 charge. I was shocked, but he says that was cheaper than running the meter. So we did not stop. The cab was a Yukon XL. There was no mention of an additional charge for more than two people. We tipped the driver. I would have also tipped the bus driver. Also, there was not toll fee nor did we ever not feel safe. Trip took about 25 min. We went via the Interstate. Some construction, but no long delays. Good luck.

If a taxi driver charged a "toll fee" to go from the airport to the cruise terminal he must have taken the senic route. The only toll in N.O. is from the West Bank to the city over the Crescent City Connection bridge.:(

wegolady,

I wondered about the "toll fee" too :D !

Here´s the MSY website

http://www.flymsy.com/

Go to "Ground Transportation" for the costs of the airport shuttle or a cab. Cabs do have flat fees in New Orleans. $28 is for 2 people, for three and more it´s $12 per person. There might be a fuel surcharge of $1.

steamboats

I've lived on the Westbank of New Orleans all my life & the only other toll they used to have was to cross the 24 mile bridge to go across the lake but now you only pay toll from the north shore to the south shore.

My husband just told me if you cross a "bridge" they do charge a toll fee but that's just stupid.

BTW, I usually don't tell people I'm from N.O. anymore because of all of the "stuff" going on there. :( Now I'm just from Westwego.:D

wegolady,

I thought your screenname is referring to Westwego :D .

I only can confirm your statements: The Crescent City Connection and the Lake Pontchartrain bridge are the only toll bridges in the NOLA area (and both are only toll bridges one way, the other direction is free).

When we returned back home to Germany and I told anyone about our Western Caribbean cruise out of NOLA I could be sure that one reaction was: New Orleans, can you really go there again??? Sure you can! And be sure we will!

steamboats

Yes, you can come to New Orleans again, just be sure to stay in the tourist areas. A lot of restaurants have come back,;) the street car is partly back, but Canal St. has a lot of boarded up buildings. :( You just have to watch where you go cause shootings are terrible in some areas of the city mostly where there is drug activity.

I wouldn't suggest coming here in summer unless you like a lot of HEAT & HUMIDITY. I've read somewhere that we have 2 seasons: Summer & Christmas & sometimes Christmas is like summer:confused:

I've lived on the Westbank of New Orleans all my life & the only other toll they used to have was to cross the 24 mile bridge to go across the lake but now you only pay toll from the north shore to the south shore.

My husband just told me if you cross a "bridge" they do charge a toll fee but that's just stupid.

BTW, I usually don't tell people I'm from N.O. anymore because of all of the "stuff" going on there. :( Now I'm just from Westwego.:D

Welcome to CC fellow westbanker.:D :D

Forgot about the ferries but then again I never go on the ferries. So I take it you're from the westbank too. I thought you were from Germany. I'll be cruising to nice, cool Alaska in Sept.:p . Can't wait for that.

I got a great rate on a limo on limos dot com. Here is what they said:

We can offer you a PRIVATE STRETCH LIMOUSINE for $60

plus gratuity for each transfer.

That is $120 plus tip for my family of 5. I thought that was great.

On the website they also have review of the limo companies if anyone is interested.

As someone posted sometimes a bigger group can get a better rate with a limo. Shuttle is good if there is only one of you or if you're not in any hurry. They do wait until they are full and stop at several hotels and it kinda depends on who's on the shuttle with you on how long the ride is. Taxi should be pretty much $13-14/person (plus tip), but you go directly to your destination. I'd choose that it there were 2-3 people. For 4 or more I'd check out the limo services. Their prices are negotiable and you definitely get better service.

Archived