Anyone on the QE2 during the "rough" seas as shown on ET?

Keisele

What is the calmest time to cross the Atlantic (if there is one)? My dh has family in England and we would love to visit together. Since I gave up flying, the QM2 seems to be our answer (we'd have to do QM2 there and back, spending a couple of weeks in England).

We were on the April 2004 WB TransAtlantic where we sailed through 2 Force 9 storms, preceeded by a Force 9 crossing the Bay of Biscay on the Lisbon to Southampton leg of the World Cruise. I didn't see many people sick. However, there were some injuries related to people walking around the ship while she was lurching about. There were calls on the intercom in code re: water coming in various places and at one point a window blew out in one of the public areas. I must admit I was edgy about it at the time but several of the old time crew members told me "Remember, you are on the QE2 and this is what she was built for, so relax and enjoy it." My traveling companion wanted to disembark QE2 in NY and take Cunard up on a "spur of the moment booking" for passage on QM2 (or maybe it was QE2) for the east bound tandem sailing but at that point 3 Force 9 storms in a week equated to enough adventures on the high seas. We watched both ships sail out of NY Harbor and as they sailed out of sight, I realized what a mistake it was to not take him up on his offer! We love QE2 and look forward to the Dubai to Southampton portion of the World Cruise in 2005 and returning to NY on QM2. Re: seasickness, I use to get deathly seasick so for the sake of prevention I use the patch in advance of the high seas and have never had an adverse reaction. Have a great voyage!

The ONLY time I have ever been seasick was on the QE2.

This was 1984 round trip to the Carribean from NY. I had on the patch for the first couple days till we made it into the Carribean (we stopped at "Williamsburg" on the way south). The Atlantic was smooth as glass. Delightful ride. My confidence was high.

Got to the Carribean, off came the patch. This is Mid November past when most would expect a hurricane. And in the pre TVs in the cabin world, there was NO INFORMATION to be had. All I remember is that the porthole in our stateroom looked like a front load washing machine on the sudsing cycle. Our steward came by to fasten our porthole closed as we were *hitting a bit of bad weather". I became violently ill- still remember my visit to the ships doctor on what was then aptly located at "C6" (seasick). People actually insisted I go ahead of them even though I was a good 40-50 years younger than most of them. According to my husband who finds this sort of thing rousing there were 6 people in the Brittania for lunch/dinner. I enjoyed my shot and drifted off feeling all better when awaking.

We missed a few ports. I recently tried to research this hurricane - i think it was Kurt. I dont know where we were vis a vis the storm or how high the waves were. In those days they really did not dispense with that kind of information as readily.

For those with crossings coming up, this is an interesting site to view. It will depict areas of high seas for the next few days. Click on the right hand column for the ocean area you will be crossing. As you can see, there are some good wave heights coming up for crossings in the next week due to the hurricanes.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/WAM/wam.html

Rick

Archived